cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The 'missing' $2 Trillion...

Bloomberg is suing the Fed to know how their balance sheet went from $600B to about $2.2T. Seems Bernanke has been at the computer, "printing money".

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...iiM&refer=home

RE: the Fed moves - Good? Bad? Necessary? Yet more intra-Wall Street back scratching?

RE: Bloombergs request / lawsuit - Should we know? Do we *want* to know?
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
Should we know? Do we *want* to know?
Absolutely; this is our money. Yours and mine. The government's budget comes from taking from the taxpayer. If they are using our money inappropriately, we have the right to impeach them.

2.2 trillion / 305 million citizens = $7200 per person
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

This is FUBAR.

The people in power think they only answer to themselves, they have no concept that sovereignty comes from the PEOPLE. We are going to find out that highway robbery was and is taking place.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Bloomberg is suing the Fed to know how their balance sheet went from $600B to about $2.2T. Seems Bernanke has been at the computer, "printing money".

RE: the Fed moves - Good? Bad? Necessary? Yet more intra-Wall Street back scratching?

Hell yes, we want to know.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 12-20-2008 at 04:16 PM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

We probably don't want to know, but whether we want to or not is kind of irrelevant.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
Ma'ake

I would argue that when the *Fed* is doing this, it's not our money, in the same sense that the actual budget deficit and national debt involves our tax money, directly. What Treasury does involves real money, definitely.

The fed "prints money" to manage the money supply. If the money supply stays stagnant as growth occurs, dollars become scarce, deflation occurs, hence the Fed increases the money supply over time. (This is the same reason the gold standard was abandoned - there is a finite amount of gold.)

What the Fed is doing now is taking toxicity out of the economy by printing money (electronically) & putting that money into the economy. What the fed is doing doesn't involve our money directly. immediately, but pumping this kind of money into the economy will provoke inflation, which *does* affect us directly.

Bernanke's analysis of the Great Depression indicates he will do whatever it takes to keep the economy flowing, stem serious decline in economic output, and then deal with inflation later. At this point, the estimates I've seen put inflation in the future in the 8-10% range.

The question becomes is this a reasonable price to pay - if the choice is unemployment in the 15-20% range vs dealing with deferred inflation, which poison does one choose? I don't think there is much of a choice, personally. I have to trust Bernanke... and soon, Geitner.

Last edited by Ma'ake; 12-21-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would argue that when the *Fed* is doing this, it's not our money, in the same sense that the actual budget deficit and national debt involves our tax money, directly. What Treasury does involves real money, definitely.

The fed "prints money" to manage the money supply. If the money supply stays stagnant as growth occurs, dollars become scarce, deflation occurs, hence the Fed increases the money supply over time. (This is the same reason the gold standard was abandoned - there is a finite amount of gold.)

What the Fed is doing now is taking toxicity out of the economy by printing money (electronically) & putting that money into the economy. What the fed is doing doesn't involve our money directly. immediately, but pumping this kind of money into the economy will provoke inflation, which *does* affect us directly.

Bernanke's analysis of the Great Depression indicates he will do whatever it takes to keep the economy flowing, stem serious decline in economic output, and then deal with inflation later. At this point, the estimates I've seen put inflation in the future in the 8-10% range.

The question becomes is this a reasonable price to pay - if the choice is unemployment in the 15-20% range vs dealing with deferred inflation, which poison does one choose? I don't think there is much of a choice, personally. I have to trust Bernanke... and soon, Geitner.
If I'm not mistaken, the Fed is a private banking organization, not owned by the government. The Fed creates money out of thin air, then lends it out. The taxpayer then pays taxes to pay for this fictitious money. Abandoning the gold standard has given politicians absolute power, because they no longer have anyone to answer to. They steal our money by inflation. No need to raise taxes and ask the public to support war or spending projects.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
Ma'ake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the Fed is a private banking organization, not owned by the government.
The fed is a public-private organization. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fed

Interestingly, FDR had the opportunity to make the Fed a government-only entity but, in a nod to private interests, went with the hybrid.