cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taught lesson chastity to YM

It was my turn, and my assigned lesson. Of course, it was a bummer to check the lesson Sunday morning and see that it was chastity.

I pretty much stuck to the lesson manual (as I normally do). I did note that there was nothing about masturbation in the lesson. So I did not mention it at all.

Is it surprising that a lesson on chastity to the YM would not mention masturbation?

Is there some hidden meaning there?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It was my turn, and my assigned lesson. Of course, it was a bummer to check the lesson Sunday morning and see that it was chastity.

I pretty much stuck to the lesson manual (as I normally do). I did note that there was nothing about masturbation in the lesson. So I did not mention it at all.

Is it surprising that a lesson on chastity to the YM would not mention masturbation?

It sure got talked about a lot when I was a youth.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

No. Masturbation is the sin next to murder. Think of the kittens.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Jessica Alba's fine, but you can do much better. She hasn't had one good movie role. She'll be a forgotten actress.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Once in the past in a lesson on chastity, also in which masturbation had not been mentioned, the Bishop interjected and asked the boys if they knew what it was, and told them not doing it was part of being chaste.

Should the lesson be more specific, as the Bishop was?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
The factory talk was the only time it was talked about when I was young. Either we were already masters of our domain or more likely we were already past the point of help.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Levin

Quote:
Once in the past in a lesson on chastity, also in which masturbation had not been mentioned, the Bishop interjected and asked the boys if they knew what it was, and told them not doing it was part of being chaste.

Should the lesson be more specific, as the Bishop was?
Where's MudPhudCough when you need him?

Kids should know that masturbation is like a gateway drug, and to take care accordingly. But a little smoke here and there is nothing to beat yourself up over.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 07-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:

How new are the manuals? I wonder if it was ever in the manuals, or if people just brought it up because it was such a key part of SWK's Miracle of Forgiveness (and leads to group masturbation and homosexuality, or so I'm told from that book. . .).

And I have to say that this was NEVER a subject of discussion in YW a generation ago, but I wonder if it comes up now? Which would be interesting if the suggestion is that YM hear it less than they used to and YW hear it more. If that were true, there would be some sign of a move toward equality. ha.

Last edited by RedHeadGal; 07-30-2008 at 07:16 PM.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Levin

Masturbation is mentioned in For the Strength of Youth. I'm surprised it's not likewise mentioned in the teaching manuals.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Masturbation is mentioned in For the Strength of Youth. I'm surprised it's not likewise mentioned in the teaching manuals.
Where is it mentioned?

"Do not arouse those emotions in your own body."

Is that what you mean? Seems to be a pretty obtuse way of saying "Masturbation is a sin."

Is masturbation mentioned in the Temple Recommend questions? (no).

Is it mentioned in the Handbook of Instructions? (I don't think so).

Is it specifically referred to in For the Strength of Youth? (kinda)

Is it written ANYWHERE that a youth that masturbates is unworthy of [insert privilege/ordinance]? (I can't find it)

Is it possible that MudPhud's dad was correct when he said it is inappropriate for a church leader to ask a youth about this? (I don't know)

Is there a definitive source out there on whether masturbation is a sin, and if so, how serious of a sin? TIA.