cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #21
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I actually kind of like that idea. If I were a mission president, I don't know that I would send my wife out to tour the mission, but only because I would consider being with my wife more often to be one of the few perks of being a mission president. I would definitely look favorably upon having the mission president's wife take a more active role in managing the mission.
I'm sure this varies based on MP's but my MP's wife was very actively involved.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #22
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Maybe so. But the problem is you wouldn't believe me because it doesn't fit your anti-Mormon agenda.

SeattleUte: Mormons think X

FM: No we don't, I've never met anyone that thinks X, I and most I know think Y.

At that point you and your ilk will fill the thread with ridiculous anecdotes "proving" X.
you gotta know better not to soften up to his flattery. I never did.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #23
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You know random thought, if I am called as a mission president one day (as unlikely as that is), I might send my wife out for a tour of the mission during zone conferences. She reports back to me.

Or have the missionaries be interviewed both by myself and my wife separately. Essentially a counselor in the mission presidency.

That might get me fired, but oh well.
You would be unoriginal, as this was done in my mission....at least the touring part. Not sure why you would have a non-priesthood holder conduct priesthood interviews, but have at it.

My MPs wife was awesome. She would show up in a Zone and the ZLs would take her around for the day...she would want to see how many discussions were being taught, what the retention activities were, how many service hours that particular week, also sit in on a discussion or two.

Since I have no benchmark, I just assumed this was normal. If not the norm, what the heck else does an MP wife do for 3 years?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte

Last edited by TripletDaddy; 09-01-2008 at 10:20 PM.
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #24
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You know random thought, if I am called as a mission president one day (as unlikely as that is), I might send my wife out for a tour of the mission during zone conferences. She reports back to me.

Or have the missionaries be interviewed both by myself and my wife separately. Essentially a counselor in the mission presidency.

That might get me fired, but oh well.
My MP's wife was out in the field a lot, with and without her husband. Having said that, her focus was more (but not exclusively) on the physical/healthiness side, and she didn't do interviews.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

in my mission, you didn't just "show up."

To get to most of my areas, she would have to take an hour and half plane flight, then get into a outboard motorboat with plywood seat, and ride on the ocean for up to an hour or so. Disembark in and about the mangroves, and then find us.

The only time I saw the MP's wife was she was the MP. She spoke in zone conference, but that's it. She made food, she helped coordinate medical stuff when needed.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #26
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
in my mission, you didn't just "show up."

To get to most of my areas, she would have to take an hour and half plane flight, then get into a outboard motorboat with plywood seat, and ride on the ocean for up to an hour or so. Disembark in and about the mangroves, and then find us.

The only time I saw the MP's wife was she was the MP. She spoke in zone conference, but that's it. She made food, she helped coordinate medical stuff when needed.
That's how my MP's wife was, but you got the sense that she wouldn't have preferred it any other way. In fact, it seemed that she would have preferred to be even less visible than she already was.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:48 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My MP's wife was head of a LDS sorority. Yes, she was very visible when she was around.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:37 AM   #28
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
mikewaters is the Estelle Getty of cougarguard.

If you notice, whenever a topic pops up, mikewaters has a story that is directly on topic and almost always involves someone in his ward.

Something tells me that if pressed, mikewaters could find someone in his ward that attended Wilt's 100 point game.
More Like Game 7 where Willis Reed was injured and led the Knicks to the NBA championship. there must have been 10 million people at that game