cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me clear. I did not predict a BYU loss to AF. I like any BYU fan (if you want to call me that) knows that BYU has some natural advantages against Air Force, that makes BYU particularly difficult for them to defeat. Normally, I would consider the AF game a gimmee. I was saying, this year, it is not, due to the lackluster efforts of this team.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Mikey is a pussy about Bronco and BYU football. Saying that, Patterson and TCU currently own BYU in a real big way still. I am not sure I think BYU overachieved this year, but they had a good year. Losing to FSU was a bad loss, and looking worse given the hindsight view of today but beating OU was great as was beating Utah. Utah had a great defense and BYU was able to win that game with a qb whose completion percentage was worse than Mattingly's career BA, I think that reflects some other good trends going on in the program. I still don't get the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth that inspired the prediction of a loss to AF but Archie and Mikey are habitual string pullers about BYU. It is the perfect team for them because they know the institutional limitations will keep BYU's ceiling about where it is, which is pretty damn good, but at a level that the occassional TCU and Utah team can elevate above. If one wants to be a pussy, being a BYU fan is a match made in heaven!
BYU had:
1. all-time winning QB
2. all-time rushing RB
3. all-time receiving pass-catcher
4. competent OL
5. competent, but not great DL and LBs
6. Good safeties
7. good corners (for BYU's standards)

Utah had:
1. A true frosh QB who didn't start at the beginning of the season
2. a 3rd string RB
3. good coaches
4. good D

And somehow, we are supposed to be thrilled about beating this vaunted Ute team with the pathetic Cougar team. Please. If you had said after the OU game, that Utah would be playing a true freshman QB and 3rd string RB, and that BYU would stay relatively healthy, and that BYU would lose to Utah--it would have been hard to believe.

Let's keep things in reality here. This is the Utes rebuilding year. This was BYU's year to make some noise. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!

If you polled BYU fans, you would see that the year has been a disappointment to many, despite the 10-2 record.

Umm, I think we are going to see the "occasional" TCU and Utah teams do better than you think. Esp. if TCU has improved recruiting.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 11-30-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
BYU had:
1. all-time winning QB
2. all-time rushing RB
4. competent OL
6. Good safeties

Utah had:
2. a 3rd string RB
3. good coaches
4. good D

And somehow, we are supposed to be thrilled about beating this vaunted Ute team with the pathetic Cougar team. Please. If you had said after the OU game, that Utah would be playing a true freshman QB and 3rd string RB, and that BYU would stay relatively healthy, and that BYU would lose to Utah--it would have been hard to believe.

Let's keep things in reality here. This is the Utes rebuilding year. This was BYU's year to make some noise. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!

If you polled BYU fans, you would see that the year has been a disappointment to many, despite the 10-2 record.

Umm, I think we are going to see the "occasional" TCU and Utah teams do better than you think. Esp. if TCU has improved recruiting.
This year should resemble our rebuilding year, and TCU 2009 and Utah 2008 should be what we shoot for in an up year.

Alas, I am not naive and recognize that our recruiting limitations may prevent this, but I can dream, can't I?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
BYU had:
1. all-time winning QB
2. all-time rushing RB
4. competent OL
6. Good safeties

Utah had:
2. a 3rd string RB
3. good coaches
4. good D

Which explains why... you thought Utah would win?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Because I saw all I needed to know against Florida State.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #16
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Because Utah exhibits some of the characteristics of Florida State in terms of speed on defense.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Mikey it's Goat here! I have never claimed that pussies such as you and Archie aren't well represented in the BYU fanbase. Of course most of them consider it a disapointment!

As far as most of what you say about the winningest BYU qb. He is the winningest but he still isn't significantly better than Kevin Feterick. He just isn't. You can pull string and use his winning percentage to prove your point but I think the fact that BYU won so much with Hall indicates a pretty good coaching staff. I doubt BYU will win much more with a better qb but you might get your special moment of nirvanna where the world recognizes your alma mater. As for the rest, I think Unga is a great back and will be hard to replace but I am not concerned about BYU finding another TE like Pitta or a QB as good as Hall. Regardless, happy stringpulling my friend!
Old 11-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
Mikey it's Goat here! I have never claimed that pussies such as you and Archie aren't well represented in the BYU fanbase. Of course most of them consider it a disapointment!

As far as most of what you say about the winningest BYU qb. He is the winningest but he still isn't significantly better than Kevin Feterick. He just isn't. You can pull string and use his winning percentage to prove your point but I think the fact that BYU won so much with Hall indicates a pretty good coaching staff. I doubt BYU will win much more with a better qb but you might get your special moment of nirvanna where the world recognizes your alma mater. As for the rest, I think Unga is a great back and will be hard to replace but I am not concerned about BYU finding another TE like Pitta or a QB as good as Hall. Regardless, happy stringpulling my friend!
I agree Hall, due to his lack of arm strength, was not much better the Fetter, and we will find loads of Mormon TEs. Whether the stars align to provide another Poly combo running b is unknown, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I hope for another Ronny Jenkins without the striptease.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:

Ummm, the fact that Hall didn't really improve all that much while at BYU. I guess this doesn't reflect on the coaching, right?

Look at Andy Dalton. Big-time improvement. I guess this doesn't reflect on the coaching, right?

BYU has as good coaches as it can expect to have. It's just a shame that they don't put in the hours like all the other coaches in America. It's late-Lavell and Bosco and Schmidt all over again. Lifers without any pretense for getting a job someplace else, BECAUSE IT'S JUST TOO DANG GOOD IN PROVO!

Maybe a little gameplanning and practice could have led to a won against FSU. Or maybe I am just dreaming.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #20
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Ummm, the fact that Hall didn't really improve all that much while at BYU. I guess this doesn't reflect on the coaching, right?

Look at Andy Dalton. Big-time improvement. I guess this doesn't reflect on the coaching, right?

BYU has as good coaches as it can expect to have. It's just a shame that they don't put in the hours like all the other coaches in America. It's late-Lavell and Bosco and Schmidt all over again. Lifers without any pretense for getting a job someplace else, BECAUSE IT'S JUST TOO DANG GOOD IN PROVO!

Maybe a little gameplanning and practice could have led to a won against FSU. Or maybe I am just dreaming.
BYU won 10+ games each year under Hall, who you think is a very average "princess" quarterback. To what do you attribute the wins? You certainly don't think it has anything to do with coaching. Note that during that span, BYU won more games than Utah, and you think Whit is a very good coach. How did BYU outperform them, overall and in conference? Not the QB, not the coaching, certainly not the defense (right?)? That doesn't leave you with many areas to identify for BYU's success. Note that during Hall's time at QB, BYU also beat Utah 2-1. BYU placed higher in conference than Utah twice in three years. BYU finished higher in the polls than Utah twice (and in the top 25 all three years). Say what you want, but BYU is performing better as a team than arguably during any 5 year span in BYU history. Too bad you won't recognize it until long after it has passed. Then you will blast future BYU teams for failing to match what these teams did while claiming it can't ever be done again.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote