cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Immigration issue

I am opposed to the current immigration bill.

Any actual solution to immigration MUST begin with securing the borders. If you don't do that, everything else you do is window dressing.

Once the borders are secure, then let's talk about what should be done with those who are already here illegally (and I would welcome amnesty ideas at that point).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:58 PM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Agree 100%. Don't know how any reasonable person could say you're wrong.

Thing is, BlueK says that securing the borders is impossible.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post

Any actual solution to immigration MUST begin with securing the borders. If you don't do that, everything else you do is window dressing.

Once the borders are secure, then let's talk about what should be done with those who are already here illegally (and I would welcome amnesty ideas at that point).
Securing the borders can only be done in tandem with our immigration policy. We will never secure the borders with adequately addressing the immigration policy.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:17 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree completely.
And easy access and documentation, with perhaps easier deportation proceedings would make it more feasible. Sure, let somebody immigrate subject to deportation for any nefarious reason.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Agreed. I don't agree with you on diversity and whatever that other subject we tangled over was (can't remember now) but I agree with you on immigration.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:46 AM   #6
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP

Out of all the politicals issue, this one has the biggest no-brainer anwser. The country has laws and you can't reward people for breaking laws. The government throws the book at employers who hire illegal immigrants, but politicians are afraid to piss off a voting contingent that breeds like bunnies.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Agree 100%. Don't know how any reasonable person could say you're wrong.

Thing is, BlueK says that securing the borders is impossible.
maybe not impossible, but very difficult. Have we ever kept drugs out? No, and not for a lack of trying either. When there is demand it's very difficult to stop something. This will be similar. Those who smuggle people in will find a way around it. A tall fence may slow it down, but does nothing to stop those who enter legally, like on student or tourist visas and then never go home. Plus, none of the fence proposals I've seen plan to build a fence along the entire border anyway. So people will just go around. If that's the route we take and we spend billions on border enforcement I really hope it works, but I really don't think it will amount to anything except a lot of wasted money. If you do it in tandem with a work program then it could work, otherwise, forget it.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:03 AM   #8
BlueK

Quote:
Use the national guard (which would be difficult at the moment, but much easier once out of Iraq).

Seal the border with a large fence (or a double fence) and national guard troops to provide logistical support to the border patrol agents who would continue to intercept the illegal immigrants. You would have to also give the border patrol jurisdiction over the national parks on the border and the Indian reservations which are on the border.

Use drone planes. Use high-tech cameras. The high population areas would be the hardest, because if someone gets through they will disappear. The low population areas would be relatively easy, because once you know someone snuck through, they have a hundred miles or more before finding good shelter.

Once the border is secure, make it absurdly easy to enter the US legally. Immigrants will follow the path of least resistance to come (and they will come- the economic reality dictates that this is a fact). Charge them $2000 (which approximates what they pay to coyotes to be smuggled in) or less, whatever the market will establish as the level in which we get a lot to come but not all of Mexico at once.

When they come in legally, we document them, give them a worker's permit (so they can actually be treated fairly and have no fear of deportation). Costs of goods in some sectors will jump as the immigrant labor is paid higher wages, but in the long term it will even out and the nation will be much better off (and run a much lower risk of race riots which we WILL have here if we don't do something about this issue). We can focus on assimilating them better, teaching them English, American history, etc.

Even if you hate that idea, no matter what your idea is, it must start with securing the border or it is useless.
Actually if you put all this in the same bill I'd probably vote for it just to get SOMETHING done. I'm not against trying to secure the border. It's just that it won't work without addressing the economic realities that are bringing people here. What I would be opposed to is only doing the first part because I don't think you're going to slow the flow down enough without providing a legal conduit.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:05 AM   #9
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
Out of all the politicals issue, this one has the biggest no-brainer anwser. The country has laws and you can't reward people for breaking laws. The government throws the book at employers who hire illegal immigrants, but politicians are afraid to piss off a voting contingent that breeds like bunnies.
No, but you can change dumb laws that are self-defeating.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
Amen and amen.

Secure the borders then send the illegals back home.

Screw amnesty.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote