cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 01:11 AM   #31
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
That's why I am sitting here wondering why Archaea considers 250k/yr a big hit on their income.

That would put them in the top 1% of Americans. THey have to sacrifice to come down to the top 1%?

What about the saints that make less than 250k? Will they all be hometeachers?

(BTW, some of the apostles were not well off when called, many died relatively poor, and I don't know that the 250k figure is accurate).
I thought Monson was a school teacher?
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:29 AM   #32
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I thought Monson was a school teacher?
An editor, I believe. He was called to the quorum at age 38, so he wouldn't have been enormously wealthy irrespective of what he did.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:32 AM   #33
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
An editor, I believe. He was called to the quorum at age 38, so he wouldn't have been enormously wealthy irrespective of what he did.
Dang.

When I was 38, I was still trying to figure out a way to get out of being the Stake YM President. Now, at 43, I'm trying to avoid any calling.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:00 AM   #34
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
The passage below from 1 Corinthians 9 might help us think about compensation for those who work "full time" in the Church. Paul draws on the OT practice of the Levitical priests living off the sacrifices brought to the temple. I don't think I've ever heard a fellow Mormon quote this passage, but if the Church is compelled to make such things public because of the lawsuit, it may become an instant favorite.

1 Cor. 9: 1-14 (NRSV)

1 Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord?

2 If I am not an apostle to others, at least I am to you; for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

3 This is my defense to those who would examine me.

4 Do we not have the right to our food and drink?

5 Do we not have the right to be accompanied by a believing wife, as do the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas?

6 Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working for a living?

7 Who at any time pays the expenses for doing military service? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat any of its fruit? Or who tends a flock and does not get any of its milk?

8 Do I say this on human authority? Does not the law also say the same?

9 For it is written in the law of Moses, "You shall not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain." Is it for oxen that God is concerned?

10 Or does he not speak entirely for our sake? It was indeed written for our sake, for whoever plows should plow in hope and whoever threshes should thresh in hope of a share in the crop.

11 If we have sown spiritual good among you, is it too much if we reap your material benefits?

12 If others share this rightful claim on you, do not we still more? Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ.

13 Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is sacrificed on the altar?

14 In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.

I'll add that one of the benefits of compensating GAs (and possibly, Mission Presidents) is that one should not have to be rich to be a GA. The fact that most of the GAs seem to be rather well off sends a message that riches = righteousness, and that's not consistent with the scriptures (and I'm not meaning to bash on the wealthy, they can be righteous too).
Oh great. First I find out that NT wine is alcoholic, now this. You mean to tell me I was perpetrating lies for two years by telling people that we didn't get paid because paid ministry is non-Biblical? "No where in the Bible can you find it!" was our defense. Thanks for letting me know how big a liar I was on my mission, EQ.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:21 AM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought a non-paid ministry was one of the characteristics of the true church. Thanks, SIEQ.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:04 AM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I think it is pretty clear to even jaded enemies, that the leaders aren't doing what they are doing to create vast personal fortunes (more than I can say for many televangelists). But it does get dicey when you put so much emphasis on how an unpaid clergy is more Christ-like, etc.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:14 AM   #37
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Well, I think it is pretty clear to even jaded enemies, that the leaders aren't doing what they are doing to create vast personal fortunes (more than I can say for many televangelists). But it does get dicey when you put so much emphasis on how an unpaid clergy is more Christ-like, etc.
I could be wrong, but I believe the emphasis is unpaid lay clergy. That is, the the pastors of the local congregations are unpaid, which is different than many other Christian religions.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #38
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anybody know which of the apostles own secondary homes in the Midway area?

Monson, Nelson, and I believe Packer (not sure on him) all have homes in that area.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:53 AM   #39
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

How come Indycoug hasnt weighed in on this? i believe his father in law is in the 70.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:19 AM   #40
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Does anybody know which of the apostles own secondary homes in the Midway area?

Monson, Nelson, and I believe Packer (not sure on him) all have homes in that area.
And how many of them had obtained said homes before they were called? I know of only one for certain, and he got the home before.

And are people still throwing around that 250K number? I thought we did sufficient damage to that idea. Does anybody have any evidence that would lead any here to believe that the apostles receive a six digit salary?