cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #11
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Are you offering to include the younger generation of Cougarguarder's in your will?
Only the ones who are not mad at me because I paid on net not gross.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Barbara, didn't I read that the stuidy to which you refer did not include 401k and IRA savings?
Yes.

But:

Quote:
Even by a broader definition of savings that includes retirement accounts, the outlook is bleak: The Fed's survey shows that the percentage of households contributing to their savings dipped to 56.1% in 2004, down from 59.2% in 2001.
A recent study by the Spectrem Group, a research firm, supports the Fed's findings. Participation in company 401(k) retirement plans fell from 80% in 1999 to 70% in 2005. Those who stay in the plans are contributing less. The average contribution rate was 6.9% of salary last year, down from 8.9% in 1999.

Last edited by BarbaraGordon; 06-28-2007 at 05:39 PM.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
It wasn't a study, it was a report by the Federal Reserve.
WHoa trigger. Those three days can't get here soon enough, I guess.

Study or not, I thought the negative savings rate was only true if you did not include non-taxable savings, which is suggested by your quotation, correct? This is a minor point that is not meant to detract from the larger point here, which is obviously a good one.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:28 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I'm one of those guys making less money to live in Zion with five kids and a stay at home mom. I don't plan on bankruptcy and I should have enough to retire in style. My life couldn't be more perfect, as far as I'm concerned. So Haddow and anyone else in his camp can bite me.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #15
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'm one of those guys making less money to live in Zion with five kids and a stay at home mom. I don't plan on bankruptcy and I should have enough to retire in style. My life couldn't be more perfect, as far as I'm concerned. So Haddow and anyone else in his camp can bite me.
Which is great. You're obviously doing it right, living within your means, saving for retirement, etc. But the problem is that that seems to be the exception in Utah, not the rule. So many want to live the commandments by being a single income family, live in Utah, have a bunch of kids, and pay tithing, but still live the same lifestyle as "the world".
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #16
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
WHoa trigger. Those three days can't get here soon enough, I guess.
Hm. I believe you must have misinterpreted my tone, which is probably another failure on my part.

Yes, you are correct.

However, the trend is the same regardless of whether 401ks are included. Americans are spending more and saving less.

That was my point.

Last edited by BarbaraGordon; 06-28-2007 at 05:39 PM.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #17
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Which is great. You're obviously doing it right, living within your means, saving for retirement, etc. But the problem is that that seems to be the exception in Utah, not the rule. So many want to live the commandments by being a single income family, live in Utah, have a bunch of kids, and pay tithing, but still live the same lifestyle as "the world".
I also believe this low income to stay in Utah thing is a bit of a myth. I work for a large corporation and the salaries for the Utah office are same as other areas. If you get a master's in accounting and can't find a job and end up as a realtor, that's a different story.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:12 PM   #18
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
I also believe this low income to stay in Utah thing is a bit of a myth. I work for a large corporation and the salaries for the Utah office are same as other areas. If you get a master's in accounting and can't find a job and end up as a realtor, that's a different story.
It may vary by industry but I know for a fact that salaries in my field are much lower in Utah than elsewhere.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #19
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I worked as an entry level actuary in SLC and after a year took another job in Indiana at the same job level for a company that is in a lower cost of living area than SLC and whose salaries are slight below industry average.

I got a 58% pay increase.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:47 PM   #20
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I worked as an entry level actuary in SLC and after a year took another job in Indiana at the same job level for a company that is in a lower cost of living area than SLC and whose salaries are slight below industry average.

I got a 58% pay increase.
I know these situations exist, but you might have been able to get a similar raise in Utah changing jobs, and you might have been able to reach upper management faster. Maybe not. There's a lot of factors. It's not just about Zion.

As an MBA, I would be making more in consulting or investment banking, but my lifestyle is much better, I enjoy what I do, and I'm not poor.

I can golf 18 with a cart on beautiful golf courses for less than an hour's wage. And I can take off pretty much anytime I want to get that round in. Take that Haddow.