cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I don't see it the same way. I have heard very little but an outporing of sympathy for the victims and expressions of shock and horror.
I think we're seeing the knee jerk reactions right now because that is all we have to go off of. Once the identities of the victims are released and we know more about the particulars of the incident, we will see a greater outpouring of sympathy and begin to pick up the pieces and move to the lessons learned.

Right now, with little known facts, it is all about amping up the gun debate again as well as criticizing Va. Tech administration (see O'Reilly), which is not where the focus should be, but it is the world we live in.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #12
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

I guess it is the knee jerk reaction in our society today is to immediately place blame on someone, some institution or entity so that there is a target to which all the anger, grief and pain can be directed.

This again illustrates some of the fallacies of our society.

1) Government is based upon social contract where we give up freedoms and rights in order to live in a governed and orderly society. One of the rights that is being assailed more often now is the right to protect ourselves. Plain and simple, the government cannot and in some cases will not protect us. They cannot be omnipresent, nor do we want them to be. The responsibility to protect ourselves and our families falls upon the shoulders of the individual. In many states now, law abiding citizens can take advantage of laws that facilitate this in an orderly manner. Some would argue that there should be no infringement upon this right, ala Vermont!

2) Life is cheap, a 2 cent bullet is all it is worth, so make the most of it.
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I've hesistated bringing this up but thought I would add a thought from my real life experience of a random act of violence.

I've often wondered many times whether me carrying a concealed weapon the night I was jumped by 2 thugs would've helped or hindered me.

Honestly, I just don't know. It un-nerves me to recall that day and think about what would've happened if the violence had escalated to the level of gunfire. I just don't know how different the situation would've been or how I would've reacted. Were it to happen again I still don't know how I'd realy react. The incident bothered me for quite awhile.

I have never owned a gun in my life, and not sure if I will. The thought of going through the education and process of getting a concealed weapons permit has crossed my mind many times since then and I've yet to act on that. Someday I might.

At the same time I'm all for the rights of the 2nd Ammendment.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
From what little I've heard this incident falls into the category of domestic dispute. Argument with girlfriend escalates to murder. Then other uninvolved innocents are killed. Ends in sucide.

This fits the pattern of husband/boyfriend murdering wife/girlfriend and kids. This is a regular, almost cliche, occurrence in America.

The only differerence in this case, is that the number of uninvolved (aka the children) were much greater.

Clearly this was a premeditated mass murder. An IF/THEN murder. Two handguns, chains for the door. He had to know how the door operated, to know that the chain would be effective. He brought enough ammunition to kill and wound those students.

America is indifferent about murder. America will occasionally lift an eyebrow in cases like this, where the body count is high. But in almost all other cases, America yawns at murder.

The number of unapprehended murderers in this country must number in the tens of thousands.

And there are people, among us, who advocate doing just about nothing. "If you try and defend yourself, you are more likely to get hurt." I'm sorry, but I have no respect for you if this is your view.

On the way to work, I often drive by a boarded up convenience store, just 1 mile away from my house. An old lady murdered for $20. Life is cheap, and we are surrounded by cowards.
I agree with Waters for once. I note that the Trolley Square mass murder was checked because someone armed was there and intervened.

I'll add that Americans live in their own fantasy world of simulated violence; they get their jollies through Quentin Tarantino and Martin Schorseze and violent computer games while deluding themselves that the fundamental fact prevailing through human history of human existance being ultimately fraught with violence has somehow come to an end. They irony is their failure to understand the allure of The Departed, the Sopranos, Pulp Fiction, etc. So much of white America is an illusion pure and simple.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I agree with Waters for once. I note that the Trolley Square mass murder was checked because someone armed was there and intervened.

I'll add that Americans live in their own fantasy world of simulated violence; they get their jollies through Quentin Tarantino and Martin Schorseze and violent computer games while deluding themselves that the fundamental fact prevailing through human history of human existance being ultimately fraught with violence has somehow come to an end. They irony is their failure to understand the allure of The Departed, the Sopranos, Pulp Fiction, etc. So much of white America is an illusion pure and simple.
If you are observing that White America is blind to the real violence that most of the world still appreciates as a daily fact, then your observations would be accurate. Middle class America is innoculated against the real jungle that most of the world still experiences.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #16
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
All I know is that thirty-three lives were lost. And yet we as a society immediately launch into arguments over domestic policy or university procedure. Should we not pause to grieve for the lives lost and pray for the families affected before we engage in such empty intellectualism?
Now that we have some info on the victims, I think the focus will turn

Here is some bio info on the victims... tragic ...
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/17/vte...ims/index.html
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #17
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
Now that we have some info on the victims, I think the focus will turn
Perhaps you are correct and I was overly cynical with my remarks.

I tried to pray for the families last night. I found myself at a total loss...words fail me.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote