cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 01:43 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Two things (and they're related):

First, this is a politcal add for the Democrat who is running against the incumbant Rebupublican, no?

2nd, because this was done professionally, I'd guess that the fact that Fox was having a bad day was intentional.

I'm not saying that stem cell research is bad, but to crucify Limbaugh only is, IMO barking up the wrong tree. The Dems took advantage of Fox and his illness and have exploited it for political gain.

Also, I understand that Fox said the other day that he had taken too much medication that day. Could that have been the reason he was shaling like that?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #12
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Amen Il Padrino.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:48 PM   #13
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Anyone ever been close to someone with Parkinson's?

I'm sure a few of you have. While I don't doubt that it's a hard row to hoe for MJF, and I think that Rush was out of line....I will say,,,with the older folk I've spent much time around afflicted with that disease...folk in their 60's and 70's.....I've NEVER seen any of them shake even remotely close as bad and he was on those commercials.

Was he acting it up more than he really does shake? I really don't know. Even if he was, so what. I don't think it's a big deal.
My step-grandmother suffered from Parkinson's for 20+ years until her death about 5 years ago and I saw her shake that bad or worse on multiple occasions. My father was also diagnosed with Parkinson's earlier this year, but thank goodness his symptoms seem to be relatively minor so far. Parkinson's has different levels of severity as well as the speed in which it progresses varies between people, so just because Fox is younger than some people that you have seen doesn't mean he should have less noticeable symptoms than them.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #14
ewth8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Two things (and they're related):

First, this is a politcal add for the Democrat who is running against the incumbant Rebupublican, no?

2nd, because this was done professionally, I'd guess that the fact that Fox was having a bad day was intentional.

I'm not saying that stem cell research is bad, but to crucify Limbaugh only is, IMO barking up the wrong tree. The Dems took advantage of Fox and his illness and have exploited it for political gain.

Also, I understand that Fox said the other day that he had taken too much medication that day. Could that have been the reason he was shaling like that?
I'll have to disagree, Limbaugh is getting what he deserves for being so damn ignorant about it when making accusations. Take a look at this story.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
My step-grandmother suffered from Parkinson's for 20+ years until her death about 5 years ago and I saw her shake that bad or worse on multiple occasions. My father was also diagnosed with Parkinson's earlier this year, but thank goodness his symptoms seem to be relatively minor so far. Parkinson's has different levels of severity as well as the speed in which it progresses varies between people, so just because Fox is younger than some people that you have seen doesn't mean he should have less noticeable symptoms than them.
I've had people close to me suffer from it as well, and either they were very good about me not being around when they were shaking severely or I just rarely saw it.

I saw them shake, but not like they were moving to the beat of the rhythm.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #16
ewth8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I've had people close to me suffer from it as well, and either they were very good about me not being around when they were shaking severely or I just rarely saw it.

I saw them shake, but not like they were moving to the beat of the rhythm.
That's wonderful that they didn't have to go through that, but many people do.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:08 PM   #17
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

I have to disagree. Fox is not being exploited. He wants to be at the forefront of this issue and he will support candidates whom he believes will push his agenda. I have to think that Rush's comments have been nothing but good pub. for Fox and his agenda.

As far as Rush is concerned he deserves every bit of criticism he's getting for his comments. Of all the things he could talk about, he goes after the guy with Parkinson's for faking it? All I can say is that he's clearly not been around very many people with Parkinson's.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't followed Rush-Fox event. Truth be told, I watched Rush during the early Clinton years because a wealthy client of mine invited me over to watch it with him. He found it hilarious, naturally, ever the good counselor, so did I. After we ceased meeting as much my days as a fan of Rush disappeared.

I have NOT seen the Rush comments or Fox's add.

However, my mother has suffered from Parkinson's Syndrome for twenty years. She's run the gamut on treatments, despite being alone and divorced.

The shaking comes from the results of the medicines used to correct the rigidity caused by the condition. After that, there is brain surgery and stimulations used to correct the tremors. It is an awful condition, robs one of dignity and mobility.

I do not understand the broohaha, but I suppose some fear unnecessary abortions will be conducted if there is an economic via medical needs for additional zygotes.

The phoney side of the pro-zygote stem cell aspect is we have lots of potential in stem cell research be it adult or zygotic. Both sides are exaggerating. Whenever, Hollywood gest involved, one knows one will be wading through horse manure.

Rush should know better and does know better, but being his normal bombastic self suits him and I guess his residual audience. Other than PBS, or BYU sports, I can frankly state I have never listened to talk radio.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:39 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

evidence that the Fox ads are hurting GOP.

Quote:
Actor Fox's Ads Hurting GOP, Says Study
Michael J. Fox's political commercials supporting embryonic stem cell research may be harming Republicans according to a study conducted earlier this week and reported today (Friday) by CNSNews.com, a unit of the conservative Media Research Center. According to the study by HCD Research and Muhlenberg College Institute of Public Opinion, support for such research increased from 78 percent overall to 83 percent after those surveyed viewed the ad by Fox, whose Parkinson's symptoms are apparent in it. The survey also concluded that Republican respondents' support for a Republican candidate decreased by 10 percent after seeing the ad while Independents' support for Democrats grew by 10 percent. Meanwhile, in an appearance on the CBS Evening News Thursday, Fox denied that charges by conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh that he had stopped taking his medications in order to exaggerate his Parkinson's symptoms. The medication, he pointed out, counteracts the rigidity of Parkinson's and allows him to speak. "The irony of it is that I was too medicated," he told anchor Katie Couric. "Would you support a Republican candidate?" Couric asked later. "I've campaigned for Arlen Specter, the Republican Senator from Pennsylvania who supports stem-cell research." (Fox also portrayed a conservative preppie on the long-running Family Ties TV series.)
http://us.imdb.com/news/sb/
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:10 PM   #20
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Can someone please explain to me why anyone is opposed to stem cell research anyway? These are donated zygotes that otherwise would be frozen and never used. How is being frozen a better fate than being used for research?
I don't oppose stem cell research - I'm just not convinced that we should use government money (i.e. taxes) to fund it. If stem cell research was really that promising, wouldn't the pharmaceutical companies be pursuing it?

Aside from being reluctant to spend taxpayer money, I have no moral or ethical objection to stem cell research.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote