cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Helmut Huebener: I had forgotten about

him.

A remarkable young man during a horrific time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmuth_H%C3%BCbener
Old 10-08-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
Archaea

A truly poignant part of the link:

"Owing to his political activities, Hübener was excommunicated by local German authorities of his own church (who were out of contact with church leadership in the US at the time), but posthumously reinstated some years after the war.
A youth centre and a pathway in Hamburg are nowadays named for Helmuth Hübener. The latter runs between Greifswalder Straße and Kirchenweg in Sankt Georg.
[edit]

Quotation

"German boys! Do you know the country without freedom, the country of terror and tyranny? Yes, you know it well, but are afraid to talk about it. They have intimidated you to such and extent that you don't dare talk for fear of reprisals. Yes you are right; it is Germany — Hitler Germany! Through their unscrupulous terror tactics against young and old, men and women, they have succeeded in making you spineless puppets to do their bidding." — from one of Helmuth Hübener's many pamphlets, subsequently also published in When Truth Was Treason: German Youth against Hitler, Editors Blair R. Holmes and Alan F. Keele."
Old 10-08-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that link. I had never heard of him before.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:28 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I read a book about Huebener and his 2 cohorts. I was amazed at their courage but in the end I had to say it didn't seem worth it. The Nazi response was incredibly over the top (Execution for Helmut and prison then conscription for the other two) when all the teens did was distribute a relatively few pamphlets. In addition, the two survivors were placed on the front lines as the Russian army advanced at the very end of the war. One of them was captured and spent another 5 years in a Russian prison. Very courageous teens/men. I really felt for them.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Huebener violated the 12th article of faith, and I believe that was the basis for his excommunication.

It just goes to show that sometimes the moral thing to do is to FIGHT oppression and not stand with it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I read Hubener vs. Hitler last year.

Wasn't that impressed with the book, but very impressed with Hubener himself. Great man with undaunting courage.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
Archaea

Huebener is an interesting case study. On one hand, it shows the naivete of youth and youth's courage.

OTH, it shows the Church in a negative, yet pragmatic light. By virtue of being run by businessmen, who usually are not courageous, but rather look to the bottom line, the Church as dictated by the leaders will not place its organization on the line.

I understand and agree with the 12th Article of Faith, but Huebener's excommunication disturbs me.

And it got me thinking, there are many instances of LDS members showing courage, but there is almost never an instance of the organization showing courage. Why is that?

It seems the good of the many is always paramount to the good of the one, and the one is always expendable.

Last edited by Archaea; 10-09-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

that is one thing that bothers me about the church expending so much effort on the gay issues.

what about all the other moral issues in the world?

Is the gay issue so important to the Lord that it overrides every other moral question of our times?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote