cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 03:10 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default LDS church getting played?

It is really bothering me that there is one sleazy law firm holding out as a tenant so the church can't begin construction on its new mall plans. It isn't that hard to find another property to lease. They are holding out simply to be the last party to leave in hopes of getting a huge payoff from the church in exchange for early lease termination. Lame.

Downtown SLC is dying. The longer the mall projects are delayed, the worse for the city. The firm knows that, yet they continue to wait for their big payday. I wish the church would simply go public with this debacle to really put the pressure on the firm. In fact, I would be tempted to write a letter to the editor of the D News complaining about the firm's tactics.

The firm needs to do something that is good for the community, not just good for their partners' profits.

This really bugs me.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:33 AM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
It is really bothering me that there is one sleazy law firm holding out as a tenant so the church can't begin construction on its new mall plans. It isn't that hard to find another property to lease. They are holding out simply to be the last party to leave in hopes of getting a huge payoff from the church in exchange for early lease termination. Lame.

Downtown SLC is dying. The longer the mall projects are delayed, the worse for the city. The firm knows that, yet they continue to wait for their big payday. I wish the church would simply go public with this debacle to really put the pressure on the firm. In fact, I would be tempted to write a letter to the editor of the D News complaining about the firm's tactics.

The firm needs to do something that is good for the community, not just good for their partners' profits.

This really bugs me.
So it bugs you when the church gets involved politically on social issues,,,,but you've no problem with them actually playing politics...interesting.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:16 AM   #3
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
So it bugs you when the church gets involved politically on social issues,,,,but you've no problem with them actually playing politics...interesting.

???

I have no problem with them purchasing real estate. How is that political?
Old 08-28-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This really bugs me.
Write the letter... Isn't the firm Van Cott Bagley?
Old 08-28-2006, 05:21 AM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

This really bugs me.
What's the problem? A contract is a promise. I'm sure the Church can afford to buy them out for the named price. It should pony up. (Can't believe Van Cott is still there, though, that building is so awful.)

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:30 AM   #6
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
What's the problem? A contract is a promise. I'm sure the Church can afford to buy them out for the named price. It should pony up. (Can't believe Van Cott is still there, though, that building is so awful.)

The problem is that Van Cott Bagley should have more of a commitment to downtown SLC. The city is on the verge of dying. The church is investing 1 billion dollars to improve downtown and VCB can only think about extorting additional funds.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

hoya, you're a lawyer. the actions of other lawyers surprises you? if VCB behaved in any way to benefit the community--now THAT would be surprising.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
???

I have no problem with them purchasing real estate. How is that political?
You have questions marks in your response as if you suddenly have selective memory. lol...that's funny. You truly are a lawyer.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
You have questions marks in your response as if you suddenly have selective memory. lol...that's funny. You truly are a lawyer.

Read first, then respond. I DO have a problem with the church getting involved in politics. I DON'T think this is a political matter. They are purchasing real estate.

Why do I even read your posts anymore? Crap- another question mark. I must have selectively forgotten the answer to that.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Let's not start this again, all right?