cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default Well, that was short-lived

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...1D4vdTkdjW-8Cw
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Of course it was.

What else do you think they did such a poor job.The shoe ,however does bring a beautiful message ,no matter how ugly the statue is/was.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
The shoe ,however does bring a beautiful message...
Which is what? That one should hurl footwear as a means of political commentary?
Old 01-31-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Which is what? That one should hurl footwear as a means of political commentary?
Its that you have got to convey your message even though you are desperately powerless.The president did not seem to mind that .I wonder if you do . It was a sign of democracy after all .Nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
Its that you have got to convey your message even though you are desperately powerless.The president did not seem to mind that .I wonder if you do . It was a sign of democracy after all .Nothing wrong with that.
It was not a sign of democracy. It was a sign of disrespectful dissent. I have no probelm with dissent. I have no problem with an anti-bush or anti american staue or demonstrration. THat is politically healthy. I do object to a suppsoed journalist throwing a shoe at the american president (or any world leader) in a press conference.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
It was not a sign of democracy. It was a sign of disrespectful dissent. I have no probelm with dissent. I have no problem with an anti-bush or anti american staue or demonstrration. THat is politically healthy. I do object to a suppsoed journalist throwing a shoe at the american president (or any world leader) in a press conference.
Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself. In the US we respect and uphold freedom of expression, but even so I would disapprove (frankly I'd be horrified) if, say, the President of France were to come over here and someone were to lob a pair of Crocs at him or flip him off.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself. In the US we respect and uphold freedom of expression, but even so I would disapprove (frankly I'd be horrified) if, say, the President of France were to come over here and someone were to lob a pair of Crocs at him or flip him off.
Agreed.

Of course, unlike the Iraqi journalist, if an American threw a shoe at the President of France, it would have been thrown with more velocity and accuracy. That's the real reason the world hates us - we don't throw like wusses.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I cannot help but admire this "politically healthy" approach .And i am not going to bother finding any single reason on the earth ,WHY, Iraqis should engage in a politically healthy process with Bush politically unhealthy style.

I have also found it well worthy practicing .."Do not stick to the rules you are asking others to stick."
Old 02-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself. In the US we respect and uphold freedom of expression, but even so I would disapprove (frankly I'd be horrified) if, say, the President of France were to come over here and someone were to lob a pair of Crocs at him.
Why not??

The France president was one of the closest friend of your country's former dictator .The France president did support and equipped him when he waged a bloody war with your neighbor.He did support him when he would shout your entire clan down if any of you involve in any sort of rebellion .The France president did support and supply your brutal dictator when he ordered a chemical attack on one of your own town which Froze Five thousand lives at once .It was not the only chemical attack ,just the worst. The France president did show him a green light to invade to your another neighbor. The list goes on and on....

And when their dirty friendship did not go quite well..the France president invaded your country and waged a war which claimed 1,307,319 of your people's lives so far and millions maimed and displaced have left to wander. French troops are still occupying your beloved country and you have absolutely No voice over them to shout.

So now you are telling me that you are not even thinking about the only available weapon??

Last edited by Mindfulcoug; 02-01-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Agreed.

Of course, unlike the Iraqi journalist, if an American threw a shoe at the President of France, it would have been thrown with more velocity and accuracy. That's the real reason the world hates us - we don't throw like wusses.
The shoe idea was a little bit too smart for "some people" to come up with. Lets face it.