cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US fighter jet forced down in Iran?

http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

oh shiz, they got Maverick and Goose!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I didnt know McCain was flying again....good for him.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I didnt know McCain was flying again....good for him.
Why do you mock a guy who willingly put his life on the line? Go after his politics, but leave his military days out of it. It's not amusing and shows little respect on your part.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Why do you mock a guy who willingly put his life on the line? Go after his politics, but leave his military days out of it. It's not amusing and shows little respect on your part.
This is a fair question.....and I will answer it.

To serve our country is the noble and brave.

To whore out his POW experience time and again as a means to win public office cheapens the whole thing. He wants to parade it around, so fine....let's talk about it. If being captured makes you more qualified, what aspects of your service make you LESS qualified?

Truthfully, there is no rational reason why being a POW makes anyone qualified to be President. But if McCain wants to make the argument that it in fact DOES increase his qualifications, then any responsible person would then scrutinize his claims.

Pretty simple.

If it were a sacred thing, he would not be dropping it as a calling card every chance he gets. To assert that he is untouchable after he uses it to his advantage.....doesnt seem quite fair.

McCain pilot jokes.....those are a dime a dozen.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

To whore out his POW experience time and again as a means to win public office cheapens the whole thing. He wants to parade it around, so fine....let's talk about it. If being captured makes you more qualified, what aspects of your service make you LESS qualified?

Truthfully, there is no rational reason why being a POW makes anyone qualified to be President. But if McCain wants to make the argument that it in fact DOES increase his qualifications, then any responsible person would then scrutinize his claims.

Pretty simple.

If it were a sacred thing, he would not be dropping it as a calling card every chance he gets. To assert that he is untouchable after he uses it to his advantage.....doesnt seem quite fair.

This is going to be a waste of breath, but ...

The "does it make him qualified" is a red herring. No one ever claimed that being a POW is a valid resume item for President.

It is applicable, though, just a like a million other things in each candidate's history. Americans want to know what shapes their President's views: of America, of the world, of himself. They want to understand his judgment, something very difficult to gauge.

Thus, his POW status plays a role. It's relevant and fair.

PS. It's amusing to see you hide behind his supposed politicization of the story for your tasteless comments. As if you needed a reason.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
This is going to be a waste of breath, but ...

The "does it make him qualified" is a red herring. No one ever claimed that being a POW is a valid resume item for President.

It is applicable, though, just a like a million other things in each candidate's history. Americans want to know what shapes their President's views: of America, of the world, of himself. They want to understand his judgment, something very difficult to gauge.

Thus, his POW status plays a role. It's relevant and fair.

PS. It's amusing to see you hide behind his supposed politicization of the story for your tasteless comments. As if you needed a reason.
By McCain's own account, his horseplay was directly responsible for crashing into power lines.

He was a fairly lousy pilot.

I guess you find that tasteless.

I agree with you. I want to understand McCain's judgment.....how can someone perform so poorly in the military have the requisite judgment to be POTUS?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Pretty simple.

I will agree that McCain is using his days as a POW to his advantage. But I think he has earned it precisely because of what he went through. He went through hell not for himself, but trying to help others have the same freedom we have in this country. It may not qualify him for POTUS, but it certainly should not be belittled for any reason.

I was pissed about how Kerry got swiftboated. As a veteran of war, his military record should not have been touched either.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
By McCain's own account, his horseplay was directly responsible for crashing into power lines.

He was a fairly lousy pilot.

I guess you find that tasteless.

I agree with you. I want to understand McCain's judgment.....how can someone perform so poorly in the military have the requisite judgment to be POTUS?
I thought we were talking about his being a POW.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I will agree that McCain is using his days as a POW to his advantage. But I think he has earned it precisely because of what he went through. He went through hell not for himself, but trying to help others have the same freedom we have in this country. It may not qualify him for POTUS, but it certainly should not be belittled for any reason.

I was pissed about how Kerry got swiftboated. As a veteran of war, his military record should not have been touched either.
I can only imagine what he went through.

Once he starts using it for personal gain, then he has sent the message to the public that it is no longer a personal, sacred experience for him, but rather another arrow in his quiver that he can draw upon when running for office.

Think of the deeply personal tribulations in your life.

How many of them have you touted as a basis for job qualification?

Also, did you, at any time, mock Clinton's infidelities? Make jokes about it? Laugh about it? That was a personal family matter. It probably wreaked havoc on Chelsea as a little girl. Did you stump against any sort of mockery of the Clinton pecadilloes...in the name of good taste and doing what is right? Doubtful.

Let's all get off our high horses folks. When you play partisan politics, eventually it comes back to bite you in the rear. if we don't think McCain's inability to raise his arms over his head should be mocked, then it shouldn't be lauded, either. It shouldnt play a part in the process at all. Once he plays it for sympathy, it becomes open season.