cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LDS church chides Affirmation

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_10172283

The church is upset that Affirmation had a news conference in which they publicized what they intend to request of President Monson and the church. Doing so is just "posturing." Huh?

This is like dealing with the Chinese Politburo. You have to go very slow and not go to the media, or else relations will be harmed.

This is what Affirmation wants:

Quote:
* Affirm the worth of gay members during the church's semiannual General Conference.
* Tell mothers, during a conference session, that it is not their fault if their sons or daughters are gay.
* Arrange a meeting between Affirmation and a member of the First Presidency or the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
* Invite an LDS general authority to speak at Affirmation's 2009 conference.
* Develop training materials and consistent guidelines for LDS bishops to use when they counsel gay and lesbian Mormons.
This list strikes me as a very soft request.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I am opposed to attempts to strong-arm the Church. It is somewhat presumptuous to ask that someone address this or that topic in the next General Conference.

That being said, if I had my list of demands....

* Admit the worth/importance/economic impact of the California Saints during the Church's semiannual General Conference
* Tell mothers, during a conference session, that it is not their fault if their sons or daughters do not get their Eagle Scout or Young Women's Medallion
* Arrange a meeting between mikewaters and a member of the First Presidency or the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
* Invite an LDS general authority to post on Cougarguard (dupes will be deleted)
* Develop training materials and consistent guidelines for LDS bishops to use regarding caffeine, gross v net, blue shirts, beards, R rated movies, and using ward lists for MLM efforts.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like the folks involved with Affirmation are starting to look for a reason to leave the LDS church and then blame the LDS church for them having to leave.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Isn't that always the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It sounds like the folks involved with Affirmation are starting to look for a reason to leave the LDS church and then blame the LDS church for them having to leave.
Blame someone else for your actions? I wonder how long the brethren were laughing on the floor when they read a list of their demands. Geez, they sound like modern day terrorists/hijackers. This knuckleheads just shot themselves in the foot.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:25 AM   #5
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

It does seem like a pretty soft list of requests. But really--why take it directly to the press? Unless the church is refusing to give them a forum, this is posturing/strong-arming, and I would say they're not really in a position to do that. I do wonder if IPU's right.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:50 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
It does seem like a pretty soft list of requests. But really--why take it directly to the press? Unless the church is refusing to give them a forum, this is posturing/strong-arming, and I would say they're not really in a position to do that. I do wonder if IPU's right.
I think part of it is that the church has said the meeting must be delayed from 6months to 1 year (the time it will take to get a new director of social services).

They probably feel like the church is jerking them around, and probably specifically delaying the meeting until after the California vote.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:32 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think part of it is that the church has said the meeting must be delayed from 6months to 1 year (the time it will take to get a new director of social services).

They probably feel like the church is jerking them around, and probably specifically delaying the meeting until after the California vote.
That may very well be the case.

Still, going to the press for something like this causes me to think they're trying to position themselves as martyrs to gain sympathy, though the only folks who will show sympathy will be those who are already on their side. This isn't going to convince anyone who believes that the homosexual community is on the moral low ground to think otherwise.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:38 AM   #8
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Where do you get that from? Their list seems exceptionally reasonable to me, not just as something Affirmation would want, but something the church should be interested in as well, assuming they mean what they say when they claim that they do, as an institution, love homosexuals and strive to find ways to be compassionate towards them.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:06 AM   #9
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Where do you get that from? Their list seems exceptionally reasonable to me, not just as something Affirmation would want, but something the church should be interested in as well, assuming they mean what they say when they claim that they do, as an institution, love homosexuals and strive to find ways to be compassionate towards them.
let's face it Cali, there are A LOT, maybe even a supermajority of LDS that hate homosexuals and have no interest in being compassionate to these people that are intent on destroying marriage and causing the church to lose the most important battle (It's "Gettysburg" per the prophet) in its history.

So yes, that is why you are seeing a negative reaction to these frighteningly benign and no-brainer requests.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:09 AM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This is what Affirmation wants:
Quote:
* Tell mothers, during a conference session, that it is not their fault if their sons or daughters are gay.
Just once I'd like to hear, from the pulpit at GC, that it's the fathers fault for not pushing them enough to play sports. Just once!
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote