cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #21
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
D&C 42:81-82, 88-89
You don't have to bold the words with no commentary. Obviously, I read these verses since I cited them in my post.

And this scripture has to do specifically with adultery - if a man and/or woman is accused, the elders have a public trial (before the church). And the bishop is to be present. Again - this has nothing to do with confessing sins to the bishop in a private meeting.

You could argue that "before the church" refers to the elders - not the general membership (42.89). Fine. This has to do with disciplinary councils. Not with proactive "I need to see the bishop because I felt up my girlfriend" confession sessions.

There remains in my mind no scriptural basis for confessing to the bishop as an integral part of the repentance process.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #22
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post

There remains in my mind no scriptural basis for confessing to the bishop as an integral part of the repentance process.
One could make a case that we dont even follow the scriptures anymore. What we follow is the handbook of instructions. the scriptures are supplementary
Old 06-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
One could make a case that we dont even follow the scriptures anymore. What we follow is the handbook of instructions. the scriptures are supplementary
Are the same arguments used to keep the church handbook away from the rank and file the same things that were used back in the day to prevent people from owning and reading the Bible?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #24
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm revving up for a post on the HOI. MRD and Mr. Bloom County are touching on some of the big issues.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:28 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Are the same arguments used to keep the church handbook away from the rank and file the same things that were used back in the day to prevent people from owning and reading the Bible?
LOL! Yeah, that's really analogous.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
LOL! Yeah, that's really analogous.
WEll, what is the reason?

The only thing that church has said is that it is copyrighted and that they should be able to control the distribution.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #27
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
WEll, what is the reason?

The only thing that church has said is that it is copyrighted and that they should be able to control the distribution.
Like I know the reason?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Like I know the reason?
then the arguments that it is a "need to know basis" and that if everyone looked at it and interpreted it would lead to "chaos" and that it is "protected information" etc.

I think these are all arguments the priests of yore made to prevent commoners from having a Bible.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #29
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
You don't have to bold the words with no commentary. Obviously, I read these verses since I cited them in my post.

And this scripture has to do specifically with adultery - if a man and/or woman is accused, the elders have a public trial (before the church). And the bishop is to be present. Again - this has nothing to do with confessing sins to the bishop in a private meeting.

You could argue that "before the church" refers to the elders - not the general membership (42.89). Fine. This has to do with disciplinary councils. Not with proactive "I need to see the bishop because I felt up my girlfriend" confession sessions.

The church has interpreted that passage on adultery to refer to serious sexual sin in general, which in my anecdotal experience is the bulk of what disciplinary councils deal with anyway.

What you cannot circumvent is the very scriptural role of the bishop as the common judge in Israel. If you have committed a serious sin (i.e., one which could potentially affect your membership), the bishop is the first person in line to make judgments on worthiness, and that includes (in part) the repentance process.

Your final sentence applies insofar as the sin is not "serious" as I have used the term in this conversation. One does not need to run to the bishop to confess and repent of every little transgression, and the church does not teach this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
This is just foolishness. Of course the handbook is based on the scriptures, and whatever portions are not directly scriptural are supported by the concept of continued revelation and inspiration to a prophet.

Do we need to review the story about Sidney Rigdon and Brigham Young's conflicting speeches on the scriptures, and how Joseph publicly settled the difference?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 06-27-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #30
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

This is just foolishness. Of course the handbook is based on the scriptures.
Here is one example:

1 A Word OF Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—
2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—

The scripture says NOT by commandment

Handbook of instructions says: No Alcohol is a commandment.

Which one do we follow?