cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #21
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
the priesthood ban also bugs me.

The third thing is the exclusion of women from leadership. They can have my callings.
I think there is benefit to more movement with respect to leadership callings. I think folks are benefited by the service and feel more connected to the cause if they are involved. I know it is a tradeoff of including more members, especially those not as motivated to accomplish tasks or as naturally organize or charismatic, verus having a more organized ward. I just think the key is that more individuals would be touched through the opportunity than good leaders can reach out to touch. I just take the perspective that in the end the good that comes from callings is the grace of Christ brought into us as individuals as a consequence of the service rendered. In my world more people would get opportunities to serve in leadership callings. However, this is just my opinion and the Church does seem to strive after a happy medium between effective organization and the spreading out of opportunities.

It is just impossible to pull that off as the Church needs a way to identify those capable of being General Authorities/officers for the Church to function as a global organization. I mean look at how bad President Kimball screwed up by promoting that bright and shining light of the Lamanite Generation George P. Lee before time could ferret out all his weaknesses.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #22
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Speaking of boobs. Why advice against two earrings, but no statements about enhancing the boobs.
Speaks volumes.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Speaking of boobs. Why advice against two earrings, but no statements about enhancing the boobs.
Because your eyes shouldn't be glancing/looking/staring below the ear lobes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Maybe these books will help those with doubts. Anyone ever read them?

http://deseretbook.com/store/search?...ecord+straight
I've read the one about Blacks and the Priesthood, because it was written by Helvecio Martins' son and I thought it would be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Nothing introduces doubt for me quite as much as seeing how so many members act. If you know them by their fruits . . .

But then I remember that the church is the definitive mingling of idealism with realism, perfection with imperfection; furthermore, I'm no more flawless than any of the rest-- far be it for me to gripe.
Not to get flamey here, but I've always found the idea of using members' behavior as a barometer for the truth of the church to be unfortunate. As if the truths of the gospel are so fragile as to be predicated on the imperfect beings who attempt to apply them ...

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I have my own independent spiritual witness, so it doesn't really matter to me how messed up the church, its history or you guys are.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #26
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I've read the one about Blacks and the Priesthood, because it was written by Helvecio Martins' son and I thought it would be interesting.

Not to get flamey here, but I've always found the idea of using members' behavior as a barometer for the truth of the church to be unfortunate. As if the truths of the gospel are so fragile as to be predicated on the imperfect beings who attempt to apply them ...
I have a hard time understanding Tex. My contention that people within the church are not perfect and therefor we should not be caught up in everything said by or done by the church seems to bug you. Now, you say the same thing???
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #27
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I have my own independent spiritual witness, so it doesn't really matter to me how messed up the church, its history or you guys are.
I can honestly say folks like you , Tex and Lingo have not caused me to leave the church. However, they have given me a good excuse to stop going to Priesthood meeting.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #28
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I can honestly say folks like you , Tex and Lingo have not caused me to leave the church. However, they have given me a good excuse to stop going to Priesthood meeting.
Have you ever been in Priesthood class with me, or are you just being a judgmental jerk?

Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The way past and current members treat Emma Smith.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #30
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a hard time understanding Tex. My contention that people within the church are not perfect and therefor we should not be caught up in everything said by or done by the church seems to bug you. Now, you say the same thing???
I don't know that I've ever disagreed with that. I've simply pointed out how often you say it. Again. And again. And again.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote