cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Look at the stars in the background: are they Jewish?

Imagine the psychological shock for the 18 and 19 year olds. Never to have seen the sun.

This would be like having lived a small space station, only to arrive in a big bright world.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #12
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Something is making my BS meter go off. I don't know what is might be, but is just feels like there is more to the story that we have heard. The wife of this guy never knew? I didn't see, where they not in the same building? And the daughter who bore the guy these children...he was able to keep her locked in there for more than 20 years? She never had or took the chance to attack him with whatever they had in that little bath room or kitchen?

Maybe is its all what it appears, but it makes no sense to me so far. I think we are hearing a story that has been concocted, at least between husband and wife. Maybe I am off in out space on this one. Just a hunch here.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

what would be the motive for concocting the story? the joy of being defamed, arrested, charged and punished?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #14
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
what would be the motive for concocting the story? the joy of being defamed, arrested, charged and punished?
Yeah I'm not sure. It just doesn't make sense. Maybe a little Stockholm syndrome? I think that somehow wife knew. Interesting that right off daughter says that her mom had nothing to do with it and didn't know. How does she know that? The illness is clearly what made all this come to light. It just has a little whiff of "okay here is what we are going to tell people." Could be I'm way off the mark. Germans are weird.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #15
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Stockholm Syndrome is very real, as improbable as it sounds to us.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #16
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Something is making my BS meter go off. I don't know what is might be, but is just feels like there is more to the story that we have heard. The wife of this guy never knew? I didn't see, where they not in the same building? And the daughter who bore the guy these children...he was able to keep her locked in there for more than 20 years? She never had or took the chance to attack him with whatever they had in that little bath room or kitchen?

Maybe is its all what it appears, but it makes no sense to me so far. I think we are hearing a story that has been concocted, at least between husband and wife. Maybe I am off in out space on this one. Just a hunch here.
No, I am with you. There is something missing here. I am having a hard time believing that the husband could keep up the charade for 24 years. Perhaps his wife is mentally ill. I think a healthy wife would be saying, "what are those noises coming from the basement?" And, "why do you keep bringing plates of food down to the basement?" And why in 24 years did she never even venture down there for any reason? It doesn't make sense.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Again, why would the husband concoct the story?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Also don't you think that someone who would raise a child, then imprison and rape her is a little bit controlling.

Don't you think that he, to some degree, dominated in the marriage relationship? Wouldn't she likely have a subservient personality?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #19
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Also don't you think that someone who would raise a child, then imprison and rape her is a little bit controlling.

Don't you think that he, to some degree, dominated in the marriage relationship? Wouldn't she likely have a subservient personality?
Yes. Probably. As to why he could concoct it......who knows. I deal with criminals all the time who concoct a story to either hide something worse (what that would be here I have no clue) or because they are trying to make it sound better somehow or because they want to protect someone.

Again. Maybe it is just what it seems to be. Just has a funny odor.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

another thing, it is natural to react in such a way as to not believe, or to not want to believe, when confronted with evil acts. "it could not be" "it's a hoax" "there is a misunderstanding"

good men do not want to put themselves in a place to know and feel what evil men do.