cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
It sounded to me like he was calling the church a corrupt organization and that he denied the church was true and denied that the Book of Mormon was the word of God. It went beyond simply being an alternative history teacher.
Is that reason to excommunicate though?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It sounded to me like he was calling the church a corrupt organization and that he denied the church was true and denied that the Book of Mormon was the word of God. It went beyond simply being an alternative history teacher.
I don't think that is enough to get you exed. It is enough to deny you a temple recommend however and maybe a calling.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Is that reason to excommunicate though?
Lyndon seemed to think so.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

I'm watching the YouTube clips now. In the 2nd video the Stake President said, "I've never heard the Church teach anything but the scriptures,..."
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Lyndon seemed to think so.
Exactly. They did what he wanted.

His free speech argument was ridiculous. Does he work for Boeing? I wonder how he can possibly continue his employment there given Boeing's decisons to keep information out of the public realm.

He seemed very happy to finally be able to tell people "no" when asked if he was LDS. Then he runs out to tell people his isn't LDS.

I question the morality of taping someone secretly then making it public. I could see it if there had been some type of violation of protocal or abuse of some kind.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #16
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you believe like this guy does, what is the point of staying a member.

The only reason I can think of is for social reasons. OK, if you belong to a social organization, you have to live by that social organizations rules.

I know a guy at our Country Club who got kicked out because he got extrememly pissed and was screaming the F word around women and children. Heck what about free speech. A social organization can set rules.

I just don't get it. If you no longer believe in the church to the point you want to convince others to get out, get out yourself first so you don't mislead anyone as to your motives.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #17
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
I'm watching the YouTube clips now. In the 2nd video the Stake President said, "I've never heard the Church teach anything but the scriptures,..."
Again, Bishops and SP's are human beings. You have to laugh sometimes at what they say. Why was the SP or anyone arguing with this guy. Let him go.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think we will see lesson manuals mention JS's polyandry anytime soon. We will probably unofficially deny it happened for another two decades. Then there will be a tacit admission, but still kept under wraps.

Unfortunately there will be a few members who will feel they were lied to. Or rather, they will be lied to, but get upset about it. Many of us realize we have been deceived in many respects, but we give the deceivers the benefit of the doubt. Like parents, they protected us from the grimy things of the world, which would come soon enough.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #19
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the SP was very respectful and allowed Lyndon to say his peace. He challenged him on a couple of items, but allowed Lyndon to respond.

Another thing I found funny was Lyndon leaving behind charts for the disciplinary council as he left the building.

Because it's clear that Lyndon intended to record and disseminate this hearing, I'm curious how he would have really conducted himself in absence of a recording. It's obvious he's trying to protray himself as the kind, almost respectful conscientious objector.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #20
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Sounds like it. He probably wasn't doing it discretely.

You know how you are not supposed to bring up controversial things in sunday school? Like recently when my teacher said that the BoM was translated by the Urim and Thummim, and avoided any mention of peep stones and hats. Anyway, I bet her violated that.
Perhaps you are the most qualified here to relate the motivations behind Lamborn's yearning for the spotlight? He blankets the Net with videos of his anti-LDS rhetoric and employs the media to spread his word. Perish the thought one could walk away with their dignity intact.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote