cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2007, 05:09 AM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yeah, no kidding. I sense some fatigue on the topic.
I was really hoping to hear from those who don't seem to buy that there was racism in the leadership of the church. Especially the folks who haven't read the DOM bio. For those who still imagine that the brethren were just waiting and hoping for a revelation I'd imagine this is kind of a shocker.

I was also wanting to hear from Tex as to whether or not the "God strikes people down" theory is kooky when it comes from an apostle or if that only applies when it comes to cougarguard.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 12-24-2007 at 05:15 AM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I was really hoping to hear from those who don't seem to buy that there was racism in the leadership of the church. Especially the folks who haven't read the DOM bio. For those who still imagine that the brethren were just waiting and hoping for a revelation I'd imagine this is kind of a shocker.

I was also wanting to hear from Tex as to whether or not the "God strikes people down" theory is kooky when it comes from an apostle or if that only applies when it comes to cougarguard.
I also thought we would hear some talk from those who say the General authorities would never try to influence a mormon politician. Guess they were wrong.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #13
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

What a shame that George Romney didn't make more of a splash on the national scene. I'm most impressed with the header that said Romney stepped up his efforts after receiving the letter.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Killer post (SU take notes please).

Like I said, historians have usurped the prophets.

More and more, the evidence of divine inspiration at the root of the ban is crumbling worse than membership in the KKK.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #15
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default You would hope that any of the 12 Apostles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I've seen it. It made the rounds right after Romney announced his candidacy. People who think that Church leaders don't ever hold erroneous opinions might be shaken up by that letter.
would be above that regardless of what their personal beliefs are. This is a bit disturbing.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #16
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
would be above that regardless of what their personal beliefs are. This is a bit disturbing.

Are you with me and find it more disturbing than Hall's F bomb or the scandals under Crowton.

Have the Hall bomb and the BYU football scandals printed in the NYTimes and then have the words of the Apostle in the NYTimes.

Which do you think non-members would find more troubling.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #17
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
Delpert L Stapley had no problem with the revelation on the priesthood. Mark E Peterson is reported to of said some stuff too but he was grateful for the revelation. Those two apostles were out of town when revelation was given. Stapley in hospital died 6 weeks later and Peterson in South America.

BRM said strong things too but confered with SWK and was privy to that revelation and told about it. Was the most grateful for it. Many thought it would never happen. SWK said want the will no pressure put it to rest. And it was time for everyone to get priesthood.
thanks for clearing that up grape. hey do you know any black people?

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Good point. I think that Stapley's "God wacks civil rights activists" threat was far more outrageous than what Adam said. By a long shot. In fact, I may be forgetting something, but that's the most offensive statement by a church leader (at any level) that I can recall.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #19
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

thank goodness for this disclaimer:

"not in my official church position but as a personal friend."
Old 12-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It's maximally offensive that people would continue to refer to the LDS Church's refersal of its policy of apartheid as a "revelation." Revelation my ass. Calling it a revelation is pure defensiveness, self-exculpation, and it's disgusting and wrong. (How ironic that SWK himself fell prey to racism even in his last years.)

Here is a draft statement I submit to the Church for consideration:

"In the past our leaders were racist. They were ignorant and in some cases evil. We're sorry. God had nothing to do with denying the priesthood to blacks, either denying them it or letting them have it. This was work of flawed men. While institutionalized racism has existed in America and other "civilized" countries during the life of the LDS Church, even in more virulent forms, that it took our former leaders until 1978 to become enlightened is truly disgraceful, and something of which we're deeply ashamed. We are grateful to the American people outside Mormonism who possessed more wisdom as they pressured our past leaders to do the right thing."

Can you imagine how enlightening this would be to LDS rank and file? The heavens would part, rays of enlightenment would shine down on LDS faithful. It would be a new epoch for the Church. It would mature dramatically overnight.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 12-24-2007 at 08:51 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote