cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Is the temple ceremony to be understood as a literal key to reaching Heaven, or is it merely symbolic?
A more complete answer would be.

Part 1, detailed explanation on Christian Heaven/Hell concept and how it correlates to LDS spirit paradise/Hell. Further explanation on the three glories. So it's hard to go apples to apples heaven with LDS doctrine. It probably most correlates with paradise (in which case the answer is no, since temple is for entry to celestial kingdom), but it might be a copout answer since the question was a temple reference and the word heaven was misphrased.

Part 2, explanation of temple ceremony in as much detail as church is willing to give to help answer. Comparisons to other religious rites such as Catholic baptism and prayers, what not. Explanation that we have similar rites that symbolize entry to Celestial Kingdom, however calling them passwords or codes would be incorrect. blah, blah, blah. We can't say for sure if they are symbolic to help teach us or if they are actual role playing of actual ceremonies that will take place in the hereafter. blah blah blah.

Probably the best answer is: No.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #12
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Well, I know Mary has a body. I know God has a body.

I know pretty much every child on earth was conceived similarly.

So there is the "BS" theory, as you say.....that seems to be perfectly natural and makes sense (but for our carnal take on sex).....or there is another answer, which would be.....what?
It's BS and there you have it straight from the church directed by modern prophet. It's not logical at all that God would have sex with a virgin human teenager. It's absurd. I'm glad the record is finally straight on that.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

So the casual member who doesn't go to the temple very often, and reads this article, is it ok if he says "hmm, I guess none of that stuff is really literal or required. Just nice symbolism."

Do you think anyone is going to think that?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Well, I know Mary has a body. I know God has a body.

I know pretty much every child on earth was conceived similarly.

So there is the "BS" theory, as you say.....that seems to be perfectly natural and makes sense (but for our carnal take on sex).....or there is another answer, which would be.....what?
In vitro
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #15
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
In vitro
Not covered by His insurance.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
It's BS and there you have it straight from the church directed by modern prophet. It's not logical at all that God would have sex with a virgin human teenager. It's absurd. I'm glad the record is finally straight on that.
I guess I didn't see where the record was set straight.

the answer was that we don't know, so at best you are only possibly correct...which also means you are possibly incorrect. Which means, we don't really know. Which means that my answer makes more sense.

PS "virgin human teenager"

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the answers were somewhat evasive. IF not then they represetn a retrenchment from some ideas that are frequently discussed in many congregations. In fact, they sounded a bit like they were written by a lawyer who wqas preparing a witness for a deposition. Truthful, but not too truthful. Complete, but not completely complete.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:14 PM   #18
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I thought the answers were somewhat evasive. IF not then they represetn a retrenchment from some ideas that are frequently discussed in many congregations. In fact, they sounded a bit like they were written by a lawyer who wqas preparing a witness for a deposition. Truthful, but not too truthful. Complete, but not completely complete.
I thought they were fine. The key words there are "core doctrines and beliefs". Is Kolob a core doctrine? What about the method of Christ's conception? The church is spot on. That list of questions is straight out of anti-Mormon 101. And like most anti stuff, it focuses on esoteric stuff that are things most Mormons only ever think about when asked questions like this. They are not core to our beliefs or salvation.

Taking the "core beliefs" approach, which question(s) do you think the answers were evasive?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Luckily, Mitt has no core beliefs, so he doesn't have to answer the questions at all.

<rimshot>
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #20
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Maybe the people discussing these things in congregations across the church are the ones that need to change and get in step with the church where a lot of these doctrines have never been taught by a living prophet for decades, don't appear in any church manuals or publications and have been being refuted (albeit indirectly) in recent public media interviews.

i.e. man become like God, ruling over worlds, polygamy, etc.