cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 02:56 AM   #11
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Imagine that it really is true that Africa descent correlates to lower IQ. I have no reason to believe that, but assume for a moment that this is the case. Does any one really want to know that? I have a feeling that many are so ideologically committed to the idea that every is basically the same that no evidence would convince them the contrary is true.

I also think it is appropriate to ask what possible value that information could have. I can't think of any off hand.
My interest would be the implications it would have as far as the selective pressures operating on different groups of people over the last hundred thousand years or so. It should be noted that the term "race" is probably somewhat of a misnomer, due to the very close relationship between all Homo sapiens, and that any difference in intellect is unlikely to be large.

Also, even if they somehow figure out that the average black IQ is a couple points lower, there will still be a ton of black people that are smarter than the average white person, so it still wouldn't justify racism of any kind. I'm frankly more interested to know if there are significant differences in specific areas, such as spacial reasoning ability, sense of direction, communicative ability, etc., as it seems that absolute intellect would be more difficult to correlate with selective pressures.

I do agree that outside of academic interests, the average yokel learning this sort of information is probably not a good thing.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:09 AM   #12
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Comparing IQs among races is totally pointless. The potential harm far outweighs the potential benefit to humanity.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:25 AM   #13
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Imagine that it really is true that Africa descent correlates to lower IQ. I have no reason to believe that, but assume for a moment that this is the case. Does any one really want to know that? I have a feeling that many are so ideologically committed to the idea that every is basically the same that no evidence would convince them the contrary is true.

I also think it is appropriate to ask what possible value that information could have. I can't think of any off hand.
I have no reason to believe it's true, either. But assuming it is true, would it be a surprise that the race that invented the IQ test would score higher?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:44 AM   #14
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Comparing IQs among races is totally pointless. The potential harm far outweighs the potential benefit to humanity.
I agree that we shouldn't formally compare IQs. Why give the Jews and the Asians a reason to gloat?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:13 AM   #15
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't believe you guys. This has been studied a lot over the years. There are many studies that show the differences in 'races' (and Woot is right, it is a pretty much menaingless term genetically speaking) is negligible if it exists at all. There was a book that talked about this (although somewhat indirectly) a few years ago (look up The Bell Curve) that was thoroughly debunked. In fact, Jared Diamond's excellent book Guns, Germs and Steel is, in part, a response to the Bell Curve.

I am quite frankly disappointed that Watson's crackpot musings would be givien any credence here at all. He is senile and this is not the first time in recent years that he has said outrageous things.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

He just apologized

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe...ogy/index.html
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote