cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default James Watson's comments re: race and intelligence

Has anyone else seen this yet? Dr. Watson has either reached the age where he doesn't care what anyone thinks of him or his legacy anymore or he's losing his faculties. Even if he believes what he said, he's previously been smart enough not to tell anybody.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science...ace/index.html
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Has anyone else seen this yet? Dr. Watson has either reached the age where he doesn't care what anyone thinks of him or his legacy anymore or he's losing his faculties. Even if he believes what he said, he's previously been smart enough not to tell anybody.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science...ace/index.html

You almost wonder if he has some science backing his claim and whether it's possibly he's legit, then he drops this.
Quote:
He went on to say that although he hoped everyone was equal, "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true"."
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
You almost wonder if he has some science backing his claim and whether it's possibly he's legit, then he drops this.
Yeah, that was the quote that made me think "this could come out of a Chris Rock routine."
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
My thoughts exactly. His statement that there is no reason to believe that different races evolved identically under significantly different selective pressures is logically sound, and probably warrants further research someday, but the employee comment just makes him seem like a racist. 'tis a shame.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Has anyone else seen this yet? Dr. Watson has either reached the age where he doesn't care what anyone thinks of him or his legacy anymore or he's losing his faculties. Even if he believes what he said, he's previously been smart enough not to tell anybody.[/url]
He does seem to reference data and testing as the basis for his opinion. As a matter of fact, he uses the phrase "ALL the testing," implying that there is a myriad of data to support his opinion.

The article also refutes his claim by referencing other scientists who call these theories genetic nonsense.

basically, this entire article carries the underlying implication that both sides have conducted extensive research and experimentation on the topic...enough to lead to strong opinions. Let's have the data!

Or maybe I am reading too much into it?

Admittedly, his "employees" comment is bizarre.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:55 PM   #6
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
He does seem to reference data and testing as the basis for his opinion. As a matter of fact, he uses the phrase "ALL the testing," implying that there is a myriad of data to support his opinion.

The article also refutes his claim by referencing other scientists who call these theories genetic nonsense.

basically, this entire article carries the underlying implication that both sides have conducted extensive research and experimentation on the topic...enough to lead to strong opinions. Let's have the data!

Or maybe I am reading too much into it?

Admittedly, his "employees" comment is bizarre.
I fear that such research wouldn't find funding, or that the results would be suppressed if the findings didn't support complete equality. It really does make sense to me that there is enough separation that we likely would see some differences, and indeed I think we do in athletic performance, so it's likely we'd see differences in other areas as well. I don't know how important these differences are, but anything that gives us a better understanding of human evolution is very important, and these types of studies could do just that.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:52 AM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I fear that such research wouldn't find funding, or that the results would be suppressed if the findings didn't support complete equality. It really does make sense to me that there is enough separation that we likely would see some differences, and indeed I think we do in athletic performance, so it's likely we'd see differences in other areas as well. I don't know how important these differences are, but anything that gives us a better understanding of human evolution is very important, and these types of studies could do just that.
It seems ironic that race-research would likely not find funding for fear that the results would indicate racial differences.

It is a charged issue, to be sure.

Part of me says that if you are bright enough to discover the double helix and the blueprint of all life, then maybe you have some other interesting findings in your little bag of tricks....

Then again, maybe you are an old man and say racist things, like my grandmother does sometimes. I love her, though. And she makes a MEAN red beans and rice. racism...Yum!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-19-2007, 02:12 AM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's the latest:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe...ogy/index.html

"I cannot understand how I could have said what I am quoted as having said," Watson said during an appearance at the Royal Society in London.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:28 AM   #9
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Imagine that it really is true that Africa descent correlates to lower IQ. I have no reason to believe that, but assume for a moment that this is the case. Does any one really want to know that? I have a feeling that many are so ideologically committed to the idea that every is basically the same that no evidence would convince them the contrary is true.

I also think it is appropriate to ask what possible value that information could have. I can't think of any off hand.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:38 AM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I also think it is appropriate to ask what possible value that information could have. I can't think of any off hand.
Well, for starters, if it can be established that IQ is race-related, it would certainly add an interesting new wrinkle to affirmative action programs. In essence, what this research would be saying is, "You are descended from Africa, therefore you are genetically unable to compete consistently with your Caucasian counterparts."

It would also add some insight into Dennis Green's "The Bears Are who we thought they were" rant.

The bigger issue is, how much longer until this dude's face completely decomposes? Will it happen in time for Halloween or does he officially ruin the Holidays by showing up at Christmas as The Crypt Keeper? Those are some seriously fugly double helixes he is rocking right now.