cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 03:41 AM   #1
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just Watched the Flt. 93 Docudrama on A&E

It inspired me to do some research to make sure I understood the film with some reasonable perspective. This is what I found out (most of the numbers are from the CDC).

In 2001:

* 157,400 Americans died of lung cancer (and we still haven't started carpet-bombing Raleigh?).

* 42,443 Americans died in motor vehicle accidents.

* 40,600 Americans died of breast cancer.

* 31,500 Americans died of prostate cancer (ratio of money spent to research breast cancer cure to money spent for prostate cancer cure is 9:1).

* 31,000 Americans died from bad reactions to doctor-prescribed drugs.

* 30,602 Americans committed suicide.

* 20,308 Ameicans were murdered.

* 19,250 Americans died from hypertension (we won't rest until Juan Valdez is brought to justice).

* 17,000 Americans died from the use of illicit drugs.

* 14,175 Americans died from the effects of AIDS/HIV.

* 14,078 Americans died from poisoning (or have the terrorists already won?).

* 7,600 Americans died from taking aspirin.

* 5,555 Americans suffocated to death.

* 3,300 Americans died of gallbladder cancer.

* 3,281 Americans died from drowning.

* 2,986 Americans died from terrorist attacks (note: figure includes dead terrorists).

o

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:46 AM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

please visit the following website: www.question911.com

Just a good conspiracy theorist site.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:33 AM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Just Watched the Flt. 93 Docudrama on A&E

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier
It inspired me to do some research to make sure I understood the film with some reasonable perspective. This is what I found out (most of the numbers are from the CDC).

In 2001:

* 157,400 Americans died of lung cancer (and we still haven't started carpet-bombing Raleigh?).

* 31,500 Americans died of prostate cancer (ratio of money spent to research breast cancer cure to money spent for prostate cancer cure is 9:1).

* 19,250 Americans died from hypertension (we won't rest until Juan Valdez is brought to justice).

* 2,986 Americans died from terrorist attacks (note: figure includes dead terrorists).

o
Coffee doesn't cause hypertension. What nonsense.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:18 AM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Well duh. How many men enjoy playing with their girlfriend's prostate?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #5
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Quote:

In 2001:

o
Coffee doesn't cause hypertension. What nonsense.
Are you kidding me ... What is nonsense is the belief that coffee isn't a drug ... as I sit and write this I watch each of my collegues (four) down their second or third large Tim Horton's coffee of the morning :wink:

Tim Horton's is a popular coffee and doughnut chain in Canada ... as a franchise that likely has 1/4 the number of stores in Canada as McDonalds has in the US makes more money anually than McDonalds world wide

:shock:

Nonsense, NONSENSE ... ok maybe coffee isn't the casue of hypertension but good golly :roll:
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

"Are you kidding me ... What is nonsense is the belief that coffee isn't a drug ... as I sit and write this I watch each of my collegues (four) down their second or third large Tim Horton's coffee of the morning

Tim Horton's is a popular coffee and doughnut chain in Canada ... as a franchise that likely has 1/4 the number of stores in Canada as McDonalds has in the US makes more money anually than McDonalds world wide" - Too Blue

Uh actually Mcdonald's makes more money than Tim Hortons. In fact they make more than Tim Horton's parent company (Wendy's).
Old 01-31-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Although you have to give it up for Tim Horton's as they are every where in Canada.

From Gregg Easterbrooke's Easterblogg july 2004:

But what about those wily Canadians? Surely they'd want global warming to convert their vast frozen land mass into highly desirable real estate. Not according to this analysis from the Service Canadien du Renseignement de Securite, Ottawa's equivalent to the CIA. It complains that Canada could become a magnet for an influx of environmental refugees driven northward by heat waves, drought, mega-hurricanes, and other sci-fi effects. Canada being Canada, this CIA-style report is posted on the Web. But then, as the home page of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service declares, it is "an organization with secrets to protect, not a secret organization." Presumably the agency's primary responsibility is guarding the formula for Tim Hortons donuts. For those who haven't been in Canada lately, there is a Tim Hortons outlet approximately every 500 feet, er, every 125 meters. Hortons has 2,300 stores in a nation of 32 million people, or one donut shop for every 13,900 Canadians. That's far more than Starbucks, which has 5,411 locations in the United States, or one per every 54,000 Americans. Tim Hortons donut shops are almost four times as common in Canada as Starbucks outlets in America! Just how many maple-glazed donuts can one nation eat, eh?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:57 PM   #8
tooblue

Not according to franchise stats I read in the Globe an Mail last year ... Tim Horton's is by far the biggest money maker of any franchise in Canada with 1/4 the stores ... that's a lot of $1.65 double doubles dude!
Old 01-31-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
Although you have to give it up for Tim Horton's as they are every where in Canada.

From Gregg Easterbrooke's Easterblogg july 2004:

But what about those wily Canadians? Surely they'd want global warming to convert their vast frozen land mass into highly desirable real estate. Not according to this analysis from the Service Canadien du Renseignement de Securite, Ottawa's equivalent to the CIA. It complains that Canada could become a magnet for an influx of environmental refugees driven northward by heat waves, drought, mega-hurricanes, and other sci-fi effects. Canada being Canada, this CIA-style report is posted on the Web. But then, as the home page of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service declares, it is "an organization with secrets to protect, not a secret organization." Presumably the agency's primary responsibility is guarding the formula for Tim Hortons donuts. For those who haven't been in Canada lately, there is a Tim Hortons outlet approximately every 500 feet, er, every 125 meters. Hortons has 2,300 stores in a nation of 32 million people, or one donut shop for every 13,900 Canadians. That's far more than Starbucks, which has 5,411 locations in the United States, or one per every 54,000 Americans. Tim Hortons donut shops are almost four times as common in Canada as Starbucks outlets in America! Just how many maple-glazed donuts can one nation eat, eh?
Aren't there 32 million people in Southern California alone?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:18 PM   #10
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Wow this thread sure got hijacked in a hurry.

Quote:
Therefore, what?

Quote:
Just a good conspiracy theorist site.
Do you believe this?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote