cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default UF student tasered.

Was this deserved?

SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a UF thread about it...

http://www.gatorsportsforum.com/foru...c.php?t=193981

http://www.gatorsportsforum.com/foru...c.php?t=193925
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope he sues the ass off the University. He was clearly already restrained when he was tasered. There was absolutely no justification for the cops' overuse of force.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't Rodney King teach us all that there comes a point where you're better off not struggling against a bevy of police?

I don't care if the tasering was warranted or not, the dude dug himself into that hole.

BTW, if you're going to ask a guest like that a question, at least have enough intelligence to ask it in a way that isn't going to get your butt thrown out.

I enjoyed watching that little weanie squeal.

P.S. I can see that SoonerCoug's little avatar boy was pretty distraught watching that video.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 09-18-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:03 AM   #5
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Didn't Rodney King teach us all that there comes a point where you're better off not struggling against a bevy of police.

I don't care if the tasering was warranted or not, the dude dug himself into that hole.

BTW, if you're going to ask a guest like that a question, at least have enough intelligence to ask it in a way that isn't going to get your butt thrown out.

I enjoyed watching that little weanie squeal.
Why am I not surprised that the resident fascist here would think Rodney King had his beating coming to him? I guess he should have known his place.

How can you say you don't care if the tasering was warranted? What would it take to make you care? What if they had pistol-whipped him? What if they had shot him in the head? I'm guessing that since the student was white you'd probably draw the line at shooting him in the head.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
Old 09-19-2007, 12:14 AM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Why am I not surprised that the resident fascist here would think Rodney King had his beating coming to him? I guess he should have known his place.

How can you say you don't care if the tasering was warranted? What would it take to make you care? What if they had pistol-whipped him? What if they had shot him in the head? I'm guessing that since the student was white you'd probably draw the line at shooting him in the head.
Resident fascist? Spare me the hysterical hyperventilating, you whiny little putz.

I'm not saying it was warranted, I'm saying if the guy had just quietly left he wouldn't have had any of this happen to him.

They warned him ahead of time they were going to taser him if he struggled and he still struggled. If he had stopped struggling then, he wouldn't have been tasered.

They probably didn't need to and probably shouldn't have tasered him, but I'm not crying a river for him either.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:16 AM   #7
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post

I agree that tasering was over the top. He'll probably get a nice settlement from UF. But wouldn't you agree he made a mistake by flailing his arms at the cops. At one point he even pushes one of them. That's never going to earn you any favors, especially with low-budge campus cops.

I read a rumor (not worth much) that he handed his camera to a friend and said "watch this" before he started his diatribe. I think he wanted something to happen. It worked.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:22 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

He was actively resisting arrest. He was warned that he would be tasered. He continued to resist. He was tasered.

Do I think the cops were unprofessional? Yes. In their difficulty of subduing him without tasering. But I don't have a problem with tasering him under these circumstances, where he was continuing to resist and had been warned.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:29 AM   #9
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Resident fascist? Spare me the hysterical hyperventilating, you whiny little putz.

I'm not saying it was warranted, I'm saying if the guy had just quietly left he wouldn't have had any of this happen to him.

They warned him ahead of time they were going to taser him if he struggled and he still struggled. If he had stopped struggling then, he wouldn't have been tasered.

They probably didn't need to and probably shouldn't have tasered him, but I'm not crying a river for him either.
And if my neighbor would have just kept his dog in his own yard, I wouldn't have had poison the thing.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:31 AM   #10
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He was actively resisting arrest. He was warned that he would be tasered. He continued to resist. He was tasered.

Do I think the cops were unprofessional? Yes. In their difficulty of subduing him without tasering. But I don't have a problem with tasering him under these circumstances, where he was continuing to resist and had been warned.
So, if the cops that beat up Rodney King had warned him that they were going to beat the crap out of him, would they have been justified?