cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 07:01 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Which is great. You're obviously doing it right, living within your means, saving for retirement, etc. But the problem is that that seems to be the exception in Utah, not the rule. So many want to live the commandments by being a single income family, live in Utah, have a bunch of kids, and pay tithing, but still live the same lifestyle as "the world".

Again I ask the question, how do you then account for the other half of the population accounting for the high bankruptcy rate at equally the same rate, The half that is non-LDS.

It has to be something else. Something unique to Utah that affects LDS and non_LDS. Perhaps the laws are easier. Perhaps more people get ripped off in Utah causing them to go into bankruptcy. I just don't buy the tithing and kids argument anymore if non big families and non tithe payers are filing at the same rate.

As far as wages go, they are probably less here. There are advantages too. If you choose to live here and earn less and have more kids that is great. Just don't cry to me about how you sacrifice for righteous reasons and therefor you don't have things others do. When I was in business in Utah County in the 70's, BYU professors were the worst at that. I got really tired hearing about their sacrifice.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:02 PM   #22
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I also believe this low income to stay in Utah thing is a bit of a myth.
We nearly moved to Utah 2 years ago to take advantage of the equity built up by the housing boom here in CA at the time (I would have made a killing as Utah was way undervalued at the time). However, the job offer I had was going to be a $20,000 pay cut. That was with nearly 10 years of experience. I haven't seen the pay in my field so low anywhere else that I've looked.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote