cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 03:14 AM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
women's basketball sucks and I'd rather watch paint dry.

does that make me a mysoginst?
I hope not. Cause I feel the same way.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:56 AM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Case in point: Tennessee did beat Rutgers. 59-46.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=274000063
Haha, man. Geez, with all the fuss made, I guess I assumed Rutgers had won. Oh well. I am with Mike. My hell will be watching women's basketball. I hate it more than anything else in the world. It's frenetic. It's out of control. I'd rather watch 5 year olds shoot from their hip instead of 20 year old girls.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:18 AM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I don't believe there would have been the same outcry if Imus insulted a group of white women. In this case, it was a combination of picking on African-American women who are college-aged, in the approximate period of time that the media's thirst for blood wasn't satisfied in the Duke Lacrosse case. I'm sure he has said a lot worse, but his timing was off in this particular instance. If he would have said the same thing two years ago, I bet it would have slid.
You think so? Maybe I don't get out enough. Do you hear radio hosts make comments like this on a regular basis?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:22 AM   #14
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You think so? Maybe I don't get out enough. Do you hear radio hosts make comments like this on a regular basis?
Lykis is unbelievable. I don't know that he's carried in Seattle any more because I haven't heard him for a long time. But he says things like women who have careers are a turn off, says "fat bitches," etc. all the time, boasts about how many abortions he's paid for, etc. Sicko. Sometimes I couldn't help listening to him, sort of like not being able to keep my eyes off of a rat. He is very articulate and does have a lot of wise things to say to young men. But ultimately he's a mysoginistic rat.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #15
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Haha, man. Geez, with all the fuss made, I guess I assumed Rutgers had won. Oh well. I am with Mike. My hell will be watching women's basketball. I hate it more than anything else in the world. It's frenetic. It's out of control. I'd rather watch 5 year olds shoot from their hip instead of 20 year old girls.
Yeah, but this is why I think women's basketball should embrace gambling. Could you imagine a more random game of chance than having to plunk cash down on a team you've never seen - and never will.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #16
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Slate has a piece on some of the things Imus has said over the years.

http://www.slate.com/id/2163872/fr/rss/

Leykis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_leykis

In a discussion about new FCC regulations on indencency in 2004, Leykis said the major themes of his show are blasphemy and misogyny, two areas the FCC hasn't touched yet.

Callers often request to be "taken out" a certain style at the end of their on-air conversations with Leykis. Leykis says, "Here yah go!" and then plays one of the following sound bites:

"Take me out Laci Peterson style" -- First, there is the cartoon sound of a frying pan bonk on the head, a splash as the body is thrown overboard into the water, the sound of air bubbles being released from the object as it sinks, followed by a boat engine revving up as he leaves the crime scene. Includes Scott Peterson's fake cell phone call from the Eiffel Tower in Paris, when he was actually in California, saying, "Amber, Amber, can you hear me?". When asked for this particular style, Leykis always tells the caller that he finds it tasteless, and that the caller should be ashamed for asking for it. It does not, however, stop Leykis from playing it.
"Take me out Great White style": A clip from the rock band Great White is played, and interrupted by the sound of pyrotechnics, fire spreading, and people yelling and screaming -- a reference to The Station nightclub fire in 2003.
"Take me out JFK Sr. Style" -- Sound clip of three rifle shots, from the 3rd story of the Texas Book Depository.
"Take me out JFK Jr. Style" -- Sound clip of a plane flying, then crashing into water.
"Take me out Hotel Rwanda style" -- African style, followed by JFK Sr. Style.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

What was the name of the golfer who died in his airplane of asphyxiation?

I knew people who dressed as him, with blood marks, and bent club for Halloween.

Distasteful or funny in a macabre way? We each have our own line.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:13 PM   #18
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What was the name of the golfer who died in his airplane of asphyxiation?.
Payne Stewart
Old 04-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #19
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What was the name of the golfer who died in his airplane of asphyxiation?

I knew people who dressed as him, with blood marks, and bent club for Halloween.

Distasteful or funny in a macabre way? We each have our own line.
Payne Stewart. Mocking his death can be both distasteful and funny in a macabre way.

Leykis is completely desensitized and nothing is off limits for him. Almost all of his stuff is distasteful with the occassional funny line thrown in.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #20
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Leykis is completely desensitized and nothing is off limits for him. Almost all of his stuff is distasteful with the occassional funny line thrown in.
He tells young men not to marry until they're financially set and castigates them when they call in with serious girlfriend problems at a young age and without good means of income (his audience is mostly men below 30). He also tells them that it doesn't matter how ugly you are, if you become a good wage earner you'll have more beautiful women than you know what to do with, and there's a lot of truth in that. So, he tells them, focus on that pot of gold (he happens to be a fat slob). I think such advice to young men out there smoking dope and engaging in reckless sex or even "Christian" men marrying at age 22 is a public srevice. He also has a segment called "Ask the Atheist" where he invites fundies to call in and argue religion with him, and invariably puts their underpants on their head.

But these virtues don't redeem his unjustified hate speech against women. Amazingly, a lot of women call in and attend his appearances and praise him. I would think this was staged except I've talked to women who admire him. Go figure.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 04-11-2007 at 09:18 PM.