cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2008, 02:27 AM   #131
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My position has changed as well. What was once a vague apprehension about the church's arguments has become something much stronger than that, esp. after the news release showed the church to have no special insight, but producing the rehashed garbage of the evangelicals, et al.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #132
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Try this one............

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
and talk about the more core issue explaining why the church opposes gay marriage: it is the same reason that the church opposes civil unions for gays.

Now the trick is to explain why the church opposes civil unions for gays. And also why in its recent press release, it pretended to NOT oppose them.

Now we all know that the apologists are having a dickens of a time explaining the church's opposition to gay marriage. How the hell are they supposed to explain opposition to civil unions? But I know we have a few enterprising apologists here, so maybe one of you is up to the challenge of explaining why all must rise up against civil unions.
it is in direct opposition to what the 1st Presidency has duped us into believing what they wrote in the Proclamation. Just a bunch of old white guys who have an agenda, I suppose. Is that YOUR point?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #133
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
it is in direct opposition to what the 1st Presidency has duped us into believing what they wrote in the Proclamation. Just a bunch of old white guys who have an agenda, I suppose. Is that YOUR point?
If I believed all the stuff written in the press release, and prayed if I should stand up and fight for the stuff there, I'm pretty sure the answer would be "yes".

However this is a lot of stuff written in there that is undefended, implausible, and just plain false.

Regardless of whether the FP is doing the right thing on this issue, I think they have the right intentions, i.e. they are not purposefully committing any evil.

ETB in all his wacky craziness probably had good intentions. Delbert Stapely probably really thought he was helping Mitt Romney's dad find spiritual truth when he wrote him. Etc, etc.

Generally speaking, I have good intentions as well. Maybe you are right. Maybe I am as misguided as ETB and Delbert Stapely were at times. I suppose time will tell.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote