cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Not being a lawyer and never having been arrested, I just want to ask if the guy has a right to know why he was being arrested - if he really was being arrested?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #22
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Not being a lawyer and never having been arrested, I just want to ask if the guy has a right to know why he was being arrested - if he really was being arrested?
If he was being arrested, he definitely has the right to know under what charge. I think that's the whole habeus corpus thing, but I could be wrong.

I'm also wondering why the hell he was arrested for going over his time. Is that standard procedure at university forums these days?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #23
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I never took criminal procedure and I will never practice criminal law, but I learned from studying for the bar that you are "under arrest" when you have a reasonable belief that you are not free to go.

In this case, it seems to me that being expelled from a building is not the same as being arrested. The student was free to leave (actually was "strongly encouraged" to leave).

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong (likely).

Edit: post # 150. I am on a distinguished road. You all love me, you really love me!!!

Last edited by Lost Student; 09-19-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I thought it was hilarious. The guy clearly meant to be as disruptive as possible, and when the forces that be finally decided they'd had enough, he flew out of control.

Notice how he was on his stomach/face, ready to be cuffed, and then he tried to get up again and continued fighting. They even warned him that he was going to be tazed if he didn't quit. The guy got exactly what was coming to him.

Notice how cooperative he was after a few jolts. Still noisy, but cooperative. Heh. Too funny.

PS. Now I'm waiting for non seq to accuse me of happily beating people to a bloody pulp. Toss in "you're a murderer" too, if it makes you feel better.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:50 PM   #25
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nope, not during the arrest. After the arrest, the officer's duty is to take you directly to a judge who will tell you the charges and conduct a bail hearing. If you are arrested during off hours then you see the judge first thing in the morning.

The officer doesn't really have to say anything to you other than to identify himself and command you to submit to his authority. Folks, when the police want to arrest you, shut your mouth and comply. I'm the last guy to be for police brutality, but when someone gets their ass whipped by the police, 99.9999% of the time they've earned it. In fact, in my experience the police usually show a lot more restraint that you might think.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:12 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Nope, not during the arrest. After the arrest, the officer's duty is to take you directly to a judge who will tell you the charges and conduct a bail hearing. If you are arrested during off hours then you see the judge first thing in the morning.

The officer doesn't really have to say anything to you other than to identify himself and command you to submit to his authority. Folks, when the police want to arrest you, shut your mouth and comply. I'm the last guy to be for police brutality, but when someone gets their ass whipped by the police, 99.9999% of the time they've earned it. In fact, in my experience the police usually show a lot more restraint that you might think.
Thanks for the info.

For the record, I have no problem with the way he was treated, as he seemed to have been as uncooperative as he could. And having a brother-in-law who is a cop, I agree with you that cops do show a lot more restraint than what people think. He's told me about a few arrests he's made and I wondered how he didn't just beat the guy to a pulp.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:04 PM   #27
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Thoughts from an LAPD officer.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...RmZDBlNGQ3NWI=

I learned for the first time this morning that (1) the officers did not move in of their own accord, but bidden school officials/event organizers and (2) as soon as he was out of sight of the camera, he became quite docile and agreeable.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote