cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #31
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
At least Barbara thinks your cool.

The films you mentioned are tolerable only because they were based on something with substance. Otherwise, when it comes to chick flicks, the Il Padrino Ute theory applies. If I recall correctly, if his wife want to see a movie, he automatically knows it will be bad. With that information, there are only two reasons to watch it. If you're in trouble for something or if you're looking for a reward at the end.
Yes, you are correct. A good rule of thumb is that if my wife wants to see a movie, it will suck.

And Babs, there is no chick flick that I like. They're all torture.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #32
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I bet if you think about it, there are a lot of John Cusack movies that you like. For example:

The Grifters (although I think of that more as an Annette Bening movie)

Runaway Jury

Being John Malkovich

The Thin Red Line (okay, an ensemble movie, but he's in it)

Con Air

Eight Men Out
I cannot believe I forgot about Being John Malkovich. Great movie, Charlie Kaufman is a hell of a writer but Eternal Sunshine is his masterpiece.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #33
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
lol..I was totally kidding about the homo remakr Meanie.

In the spirit of full disclosure from time to time I've been known to like a good romance.

Notting Hill was very well done.

The Notebook *DISCLOSURE* -- It reminded me a lot of my Grandma and Grandpa. She had very aggressive Alzheimers in the late 70's and through the mid 80's before she finally passed away and My Grandpa took care of her by reading to her a lot and doing a lot of the same things the older characters in that story did. So yes....even the oft harshly worded opinionator RockyBalboa does have a soft side.

I even admitted to liking Hitch because Kevin James character killed me. He was funny in that.
No worries - I actually thought it was funny. I was just feigning offense.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #34
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I must be lucky... I almost NEVER have to watch chick flicks with my wife, yet she will always watch my movies with me. She loves 24, Old School, anything by Adam Sandler, and probably our favorite movie to watch together is the 40 year old virgin. That show absolutely cracked us both up.

The only guy movie that I haven't been able to get her really into is Desperado, starring Antonio Banderas. That show was freakin' awesome. Senseless violence, a dude with a guitar case of weapons and Salma Hayek. What more can a dude want?
I love Desperado. I made my wife watch that with me once but she just sat and did her crochet the whole time and didn't really pay attention. I didn't think the "sequel" (Once Upon A Time in Mexico) was nearly as good.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #35
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I love Desperado. I made my wife watch that with me once but she just sat and did her crochet the whole time and didn't really pay attention. I didn't think the "sequel" (Once Upon A Time in Mexico) was nearly as good.
Anything with Salma Hayek in it naked requires slow-pause watching.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #36
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I agree with Funk. High Fidelity is my favorite Cusack movie. Say Anything would be right behind it. I also liked Serendipity. That's a chick flick. Kate Beckinsale is nice to look at.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #37
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I agree with Funk. High Fidelity is my favorite Cusack movie. Say Anything would be right behind it. I also liked Serendipity. That's a chick flick. Kate Beckinsale is nice to look at.
Okay, I held my tongue when people admitted to liking those awful Jane Austen flicks, but Serendipity? Come on! I refuse to belief that any male with fully descended testicles can honestly say they enjoyed Serendipity.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #38
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Okay, I held my tongue when people admitted to liking those awful Jane Austen flicks, but Serendipity? Come on! I refuse to belief that any male with fully descended testicles can honestly say they enjoyed Serendipity.
Well I have been soaking in epsom salt for a week now so they'd drop.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:00 PM   #39
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
It was ok -not great.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote