cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2008, 05:54 AM   #31
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Worst Metallica thread ever.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #32
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I had countless devil music lectures growing up.

What sweet vindication it was to hear "Welcome to the Jungle" at the Lord's University's home football games.
Did anyone else repeatedly see the demonstration where someone was asked to hold their arms out and resist the person as they tried to push their arms back down, first with classical music playing (during which they could resist the pushing) and then with heavy metal playing (during which they couldn't). I got that one several times and although it was apparently self-evident to everyone else what that demonstrated, it never was to me. Satan weakens your muscles if you listen to metal?
Old 09-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #33
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
I had countless devil music lectures growing up.

What sweet vindication it was to hear "Welcome to the Jungle" at the Lord's University's home football games.
By the time Guns and Roses had released Appetite for Destruction, I was already well into my HS career and my mom had already lost me to Satanism.

My metal lectures were from my junior high days, with metal albums such as Dio (Holy Diver), Motley Crue (Shout at the Devil), Iron Maiden (Killers, Piece of Mind, et al), and Ozzy (Diary of a Madman).

Also, how many folks here spent time arguing with classmates about the opening lines of Def Leppard's "Rock of Ages?" What exactly does that monk say? I dont know if we will ever really know...

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #34
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Did anyone else repeatedly see the demonstration where someone was asked to hold their arms out and resist the person as they tried to push their arms back down, first with classical music playing (during which they could resist the pushing) and then with heavy metal playing (during which they couldn't). I got that one several times and although it was apparently self-evident to everyone else what that demonstrated, it never was to me. Satan weakens your muscles if you listen to metal?
I haven't seen that one.

But I remember in junior high, an 8th grader told me that KISS stood for "Knights in Satan's Service." Also, AC/DC stood for "Anti Christ/Devil's Children." That was some freaky crap right there.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 09-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #35
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I haven't seen that one.

But I remember in junior high, an 8th grader told me that KISS stood for "Knights in Satan's Service." Also, AC/DC stood for "Anti Christ/Devil's Children." That was some freaky crap right there.

Don't forget WASP (We are Sexual Perverts, or We are Satans People) and Rush (Raised Under Satan's Hand).
Old 09-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #36
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Don't forget WASP (We are Sexual Perverts, or We are Satans People) and Rush (Raised Under Satan's Hand).
I forgot about WASP, but really good call on that one.

I was never freaked out by RUSH. It is hard to feel Satan's influence when you are laughing at the music/vocals.

Another cool freak-out: warning on Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil: "This Record May Contain Backward Messages." Also, the pentagram is really Satan's headshot......his two horns, his chin, and the two points on his cape.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #37
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I forgot about WASP, but really good call on that one.

I was never freaked out by RUSH. It is hard to feel Satan's influence when you are laughing at the music/vocals.

Another cool freak-out: warning on Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil: "This Record May Contain Backward Messages." Also, the pentagram is really Satan's headshot......his two horns, his chin, and the two points on his cape.
That's funny re. Motley Crue. I'm not sure anyone took them seriously as legit devil music (well, besides moms and Tipper Gore).
Old 09-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #38
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
There is a theory out there that positive reinforcement increases muscle strength and negative reinforcement takes it away. It does appear to actually have some foundation to it. You can experiment on a friend- have them hold their arms out and ask them to say their name. They should hold up strong. Ask them to hold their arms out and tell you a lie. Most people's arms will fall further than they did when telling the truth.

It is weird.

And I like Metallica.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #39
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
There is a theory out there that positive reinforcement increases muscle strength and negative reinforcement takes it away. It does appear to actually have some foundation to it. You can experiment on a friend- have them hold their arms out and ask them to say their name. They should hold up strong. Ask them to hold their arms out and tell you a lie. Most people's arms will fall further than they did when telling the truth.

It is weird.

And I like Metallica.
SO! Now we know why McCain can't raise his arms above his head....

Old 09-28-2008, 12:04 AM   #40
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My BIL and I got a good laugh out of them playing Third Eye Blind's "Semi Charmed Life". Whoever was in charge of the tunes at LES didn't listen too close to that one.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote