cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #21
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

The Dark Knight was great. Heath Ledger stole the show. I was really blown away by his performance. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a nod from the academy for his work.

Christian Bale is a great Bruce Wayne. As Batman he was driving me nuts. His voice and mouth trying to mask his identity were over the top. Gidget likes him though and would take a little Christian Bale in either character.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:38 PM   #22
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
The Dark Knight was great. Heath Ledger stole the show. I was really blown away by his performance. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a nod from the academy for his work.

Christian Bale is a great Bruce Wayne. As Batman he was driving me nuts. His voice and mouth trying to mask his identity were over the top. Gidget likes him though and would take a little Christian Bale in either character.
Great film. Possibly the most entertained I've ever been at a movie as an adult, maybe LOTR excepting.

Ledger and the director were brilliant on the creation of Joker. Only complaint is that the movie slowed down the last 30 minutes. They might have tried to accomplish too much.

Agree on Batman's voice. When he has one or two lines at a time the voice works fine. When he's got a soliloquy it's irritating.

I prefer Katie Holmes.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:22 AM   #23
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Mp and I just got back. I think it was definitely one of the most intense films that I have ever seen. Two hours in, I realized I had been clenching Mpfunk's hand the whole time and finally let up the grip.

I agree with everything that's been said about Ledger's performance. It was chilling but darkly humorous at points. I definitely think his was one of the better villain performance I have seen, and scarily convincing.

The movie possibly tried to tackle a few too many themes in the last twenty minutes (i.e. what really defines a hero? the importance of honorable figureheads... all is not lost until people stop believing in good.. among other things) but overall, it was an riveting ride.
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:01 AM   #24
Jennerstein

Jennerstein

Just got back from seeing it. IMAX is sold out until Monday, so I had to watch in a regular theater. Maybe I'll watch it next week in IMAX...one thing I love about California is the number of quality theaters available for movie watching.

Anyway, I thought the movie was very good. It's the antithesis of Michael Bay. I love how Nolan doesn't play down to his audience and is actually able to tell a story with philosophical/moral themes. Lots of layered depth.

One thing I did needed help clarifying from the movie, and I will rot13 this to avoid TripletDaddy's wrath,

Jura Ongzna qvfpbirerq gur nqqerffrf bs jurer Enpury naq Uneirl jrer ybpngrq, jnf ur bevtvanyyl vagraqvat Uneirl? N cbfg ba nabgure jrofvgr fnvq gung gur Wbxre fjvgpurq hc gur crbcyr ng nqqerffrf, juvpu jbhyq zrna Ongzna jnf gelvat gb fnir Enpury ohg tbg Uneirl vafgrnq. Gur npgvba frdhrapr jrag gbb snfg cnprq sbe zr gb erzrzore gur nqqerffrf naq qvfprea jurgure gur Wbxre ernyyl chyyrq gur fjvgpurebb.

For those of you who haven't used rot13, it's a simple Caeser-cypher encryption method. Just copy the text above into www.rot13.com to decode the cypher.

-J
Jennerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #25
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Fantastic film. Pitch perfect from beginning to end.

And with enough open ended questions that makes me very curious as to how they're going to pull off the next film as Bale and Nolan are contracted to do a 3rd one.

Also, I'm bet the little kid...Commissioner Gordon's kid ends up becoming Robin.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:30 AM   #26
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Fantastic film. Pitch perfect from beginning to end.

And with enough open ended questions that makes me very curious as to how they're going to pull off the next film as Bale and Nolan are contracted to do a 3rd one.

Also, I'm bet the little kid...Commissioner Gordon's kid ends up becoming Robin.
For that to happen, it would really be a stretch from the original comic book. Robin was an orphan, which is why he was living with Bruce Wayne as his ward. Also, Batman and Robin worked with Commissioner Gordon. If the kid were to become Robin, that would mean that Robin would first have to grow up (meaning 12 or so years would have to pass in the timeline of the characters) and Gordon and his wife would have to die. Or, the writers could ignore all that and just make him Robin, so you could be right.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:31 AM   #27
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennerstein View Post
Just got back from seeing it. IMAX is sold out until Monday, so I had to watch in a regular theater. Maybe I'll watch it next week in IMAX...one thing I love about California is the number of quality theaters available for movie watching.

Anyway, I thought the movie was very good. It's the antithesis of Michael Bay. I love how Nolan doesn't play down to his audience and is actually able to tell a story with philosophical/moral themes. Lots of layered depth.

One thing I did needed help clarifying from the movie, and I will rot13 this to avoid TripletDaddy's wrath,

Jura Ongzna qvfpbirerq gur nqqerffrf bs jurer Enpury naq Uneirl jrer ybpngrq, jnf ur bevtvanyyl vagraqvat Uneirl? N cbfg ba nabgure jrofvgr fnvq gung gur Wbxre fjvgpurq hc gur crbcyr ng nqqerffrf, juvpu jbhyq zrna Ongzna jnf gelvat gb fnir Enpury ohg tbg Uneirl vafgrnq. Gur npgvba frdhrapr jrag gbb snfg cnprq sbe zr gb erzrzore gur nqqerffrf naq qvfprea jurgure gur Wbxre ernyyl chyyrq gur fjvgpurebb.

For those of you who haven't used rot13, it's a simple Caeser-cypher encryption method. Just copy the text above into www.rot13.com to decode the cypher.

-J
Jennerstein....you are correct....or better said, the other message board is correct. Switcheroo.

You win a prize for effort above and beyond the call of duty to not spoil the flick for others.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:17 AM   #28
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
For that to happen, it would really be a stretch from the original comic book. Robin was an orphan, which is why he was living with Bruce Wayne as his ward. Also, Batman and Robin worked with Commissioner Gordon. If the kid were to become Robin, that would mean that Robin would first have to grow up (meaning 12 or so years would have to pass in the timeline of the characters) and Gordon and his wife would have to die. Or, the writers could ignore all that and just make him Robin, so you could be right.
The last 2 Batman movies aren't your typical comic book fare.

Some things happened in that movie, which shows you they can go any direction they want and they're choosing that route without being tied down to the history of the comic books, and it's fun to watch.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:43 AM   #29
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Jennerstein....you are correct....or better said, the other message board is correct. Switcheroo.

You win a prize for effort above and beyond the call of duty to not spoil the flick for others.

major spoiler:

i guess i'm wrong but i interpreted it as batman making a choice between the girl and the guy. he chose the guy because he was more important in the overall plan of fight against crime and struggle for hope and goodness in gotham. i thought it was an important step in batman's evolution and showed his commitment to what he was getting into deeper and deeper.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:20 AM   #30
Hsaru

Hsaru is on a distinguished road

spoiler:

I think it could be seen in two ways, either he picked Rachel and the Joker gave him the wrong addresses so the person he wanted to save would end up dying, or Batman actually picked Dent. I think it was left ambiguous on purpose.
Hsaru is offline   Reply With Quote