cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2008, 05:17 AM   #41
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
And I am sure you will all look good in chintz liederhosen. Really, that will be swell.
It's lederhose, unless he's wearing two pairs.

Come on, you should know enough German to realize that dude.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:21 AM   #42
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Il Pad and I have joined in praise of Patton before. It is a GREAT film. And if we ever have our slumber party at PAC's, in honor of the great generation of WWII, I'm going to insist we close with this:
My son in HS is taking a world history class and he gets credit for watching movies with a history angle. Last month we watched Patton (I hadn't seen it in ages). He loved it and he keeps repeating quotes from the opening scene in front of the flag, some of which he has to do well out of his mother's earshot.

What a great movie.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:26 AM   #43
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I caught this on TV the other night. What a great movie. Julie Andrews had some pipes. It's no wonder Captain Von Trapp had it for her. OTOH, the Baroness was no slouch. Though I can't see her hiking the mountains to escape the Nazis.
My wife played the role of one of the Von Trapp girls in a HS play when she was 7-8 years old, so we have to watch it every time it comes on. And a few years back we visited Salzburg/Bechtesgaden, one of the most beautiful places on earth. We were amazed at how many "Sound of Music" tours they still do after all these years.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #44
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Only one small refernce to Audrey Hepburn?

Where is the love for "My Fair Lady"? Yes, one of my favorites along with those mentioned. Classics.

"Come on Doevuh.....come on Doevuh....."

Audrey was a hottie.
The Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #45
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The best musical ever is West Side Story. Note even close, unless you count Sweeney Todd, which some consider an opera.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #46
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

You can add me to the list of Sound of Music lovers. I went through this phase as a little kid where I had major crushes on Julie Andrews and Shirley Jones. Something about their unsullied hotness that really revved my 10 year old engine.

Julie ranked a bit higher on the list, though, because the Sound of Music was a classic tale of a women in pursuit of erotic fulfillment with a man who was battling his own demons of bi-sexuality.

Hottest scenes in Sound of Music:

1. Opening scene of Maria spinning around and around in that corset....at one point, if you pause it you can see a hint of leg as she twirls. You may need the restored blu-ray version to see it, though. The scene is purposeful in that it establishes Maria as an exhibitionist and someone who is not limited by traditional boundaries....religious, sexual, or otherwise.

2. All the nun's admit through song that they spy on Maria, listen to her in her bedroom, watch her from afar, and follow her around. Abbey voyeurism is hot.

3. The reverend mother setting Maria up with a hot seaman. References to his military lifestyle in a submarine and failed marriage are our first cues to his struggles with bi-sexuality.

4. The scene where the Captain uses the military whistle to let Maria know what her "signal" would be, clearly testing Maria's boundaries of sensuality by introducing sado-masochism into the relationship. It is at this point that Maria realizes she is getting way more than she bargained for....yet she stays. Hot!

5. The Welcome dinner. Perhaps the hottest scene in the movie, where the children leave a "gift" for Maria on her chair....Oh, that I were a pine cone, and could have the wish of mine heart!

6. For some reason, the Captain starts going off on road trips with Max. No real reason is given, but we can assume that the excitement and newness of the sexual relationship between the Captain and Maria has grown stale. The Captain needs something new. So he finds it in Max. What are they doing all the time? Are they really on fishing trips? The signs are all there.....Max and the Captain pick up the smoky-voiced drag queen who goes by "Baronness Schraeder"....later, on a casual countryside drive in what was the convertible Mazda Miata of the day, Max gets all excited as they drive by and hear the Vienna Boys Choir.....and then, without explanation, the Captain starts going by "Gay-org." Everything is "Gay-org this," and "Gay-org that." The Captain has made the decision to come out completely and has become decidedly less stressed and tense in his everyday life.

It is at this point in the movie where Maria starts getting lonely, so she turns to the only companions that she has known....the children....

7. Next hottest scene.....Kurt and Freidrich running to Maria's bedroom....SURE guys, you were scared of the rain....that is why you were showing up in her bedroom. Who DOESNT run to an older woman's bedroom when they are scared? The only surprise in that scene was that the younger sisters were there to ruin everything. If I were Freidrich, I would have pistol whipped my younger sisters and told them to get the crap out of there.

8. I am not positive that Maria purposely cut the drapes extra snug, but I can tell you one thing: wet drapes=HOT. With the exception of Ursula Andress coming out of the sea in her bikini in Dr. No, the emergence of Maria from the lake, with clingy wet clothing, is one of the most erotic scenes in modern cinema. SOM had lots of wet clothes scenes (gazebo with Leisl and Rolfe, for example), but this one is the signature shot of the film, clearly.

9. In the most blatant display of his newfound freedom as "Gay-org," the Captain fulfills his wildest erotic fantasy: he throws a lavish cocktail party, wears a military uniform, and dances the night away, drinking champagne and signing traditional songs. Julia senses that she may be losing this battle with the Captains bi-sexuality, and in a fit of frustration, she flees, seeking to explore her own bi-sexuality back at the Abbey.

10. Julie Andrews in naughty nun outfit, listening to Reverend Mother tell her to go "Climb Every Mountain," an obvious reference to Maria leaving the Abbey to explore her sexuality with Captain Von Trapp. The Reverend Mother does seem to acknowledge the possibility that the Captain may never fully abandon his life as "Gay-org," so she wisely counsels Maria to "follow every rainbow, til you find your dream." The soft lighting shots made this scene extra hot.

11. Maria and The Captain/Gay-org realize that they were meant for each other. Max seems to accept this, as well, and helps them escape from the music festival. In the touching closing shots, we see the family escaping to Switzerland, with Maria symbolically ushering the children over the peaks of the mountain, with the Captain (cross dressing as Gay-org, wearing fabulous boots and a shawl) carrying Gretel on his back....a powerful metaphor for the proverbial "bisexual" monkey on his back that he will always have to bear.

What a great movie.

Next week: DDD explores the erotic undertones in Shirley Jones classic, "The Music Man."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #47
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The best musical ever is West Side Story. Note even close, unless you count Sweeney Todd, which some consider an opera.
I love watching those tough gang members break into song and dance. The only thing that compares is the movie "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". One bad thing about "West Side Story" was having Natalie Wood play the Latino girl. They couldn't find some PR in New York that could play this part?

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #48
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I love watching those tough gang members break into song and dance. The only thing that compares is the movie "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". One bad thing about "West Side Story" was having Natalie Wood play the Latino girl. They couldn't find some PR in New York that could play this part?
Well Natalie-doesn't-float-too-good-Wood was beautiful and I wanted to date her after watching it the first time.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #49
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
A fantastic musical, but I haven't seen Sweeney Todd but it sounds like it may have been good.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #50
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Great post DDD. I can't imagine what Mary Poppins did to you.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote