cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Gladiator is a classic

I saw Gladiator again a little while back. I mentioned this to a neighbor and he called it a "big dumb movie." No, he's the dummy. A student of Roman history has to be impressed by the film's fidelity to the historical record even as Maximus is mostly fictional. Commodus' idea that gladiatorial spectacles would distract the people from economic problems and plague seems far fetched, but that is essentially what happened. Commodus ushered in an unprecedented scale of gladiator games after his father abolished them, and Commodus himself was a formiddable fighter. If anything, Commodus was more despicable in real life than as depicted in the movie. He was finally killed by a rival in the ring, but I believe he was murdered, not killled in individual combat.

The movie does sharply depart from history two ways, but only one of these is anachronistic: First, there's no evidence Commodus murdered his father, Marcus Aurelius; second, Marcus Aurelius' reign was dominated by warfare, but not in Germania. He fought mostly in Central Europe, and the last battle would have occurred in Pannonia, modern day Hungary. In fact, the Roman empire drew a line around "civilization" and built a very long wall to enclose it, called "the limes" in the European mainland, and Hadrian's Wall in Britannia. Germania lay on the other side of the limes. Like Caledonia, the lands north of Hadrian's wall, the Romans deemed Germania beyond civilization, unconquerable, and impervious to civilization.

I also enjoyed the film's theology, and I think it gives the movie depth. It's a reminder that Classical paganism was not devoid of spirituality, and itself possessed many beliefs that mirrored and served in a sense as forerunner to Christian beliefs. I especially like the ideas of adoring one's ancestors, and of course being reunited with dead ones after your own death.

Of course, among the glories of the movie are the cinemetography, the splendid battle and combat scenes and depictions of imperial Rome. The score is also very fine.

Finally, the version I watched was the extended version, and it seemed seemless, while over 2.5 hours long. In contrast, Apocalypse Now's extended version seemed to me a mess; those cut scenes should have stayed on the cutting room floor.

An original hisorical record of this period I've enjoyed is the fragment authored by Herodian, a Greek (what else?) scholar. It's hyperbolic and somewhat lacking in crediblity, but a facinating and enjoyable read, and a true artifact of the age.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 10-24-2007 at 05:03 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I saw Gladiator again a little while back. I mentioned this to a neighbor and he called it a "big dumb movie." No, he's the dummy. A student of Roman history has to be impressed by the film's fidelity to the historical record even as Maximus is mostly fictional. Commodus' idea that gladiatorial spectacles would distract the people from economic problems and plague seems far fetched, but that is essentially what happened. Commodus ushered in an unprecedented scale of gladiator games after his father abolished them, and Commodus himself was a formiddable fighter. If anything, Commodus was more despicable in real life than as depicted in the movie. He was finally killed by a rival in the ring, but I believe he was murdered, not killled in individual combat.

The movie does sharply depart from history two ways, but only one of these is anachronistic: First, there's no evidence Commodus murdered his father, Marcus Aurelius; second, Marcus Aurelius' reign was dominated by warfare, but not in Germania. He fought mostly in Central Europe, and the last battle would have occurred in Pannonia, modern day Hugary. In fact, the Roman empire drew a line around "civilization" and built a very long wall to enclose it, called "the limes" in the European mainland, and Hadrian's Wall in Britania. Germania lay on the other side of the limes. Like Caledonia, the lands north of Hadrian's wall, the Romans deemed Germania beyond civilization, unconquerable, and impervious to civilization.

I also enjoyed the film's theology, and I think it gives the movie depth. It's a reminder that Classical paganism was not devoid of spirituality, and itself possessed many beliefs that mirrored and served in a sense as forerunner to Christian beliefs. I especially like the ideas of adoring one's ancestors, and of course being reunited with dead ones after your own death.

Of course, among the glories of the movie are the cinemetography, the splendid battle and combat scenes and depictions of imperial Rome. The score is also very fine.

Finally, the version I watched was the extended version, and it seemed seemless, while over 2.5 hours long. In contrast, Apocalypse Now's extended version seemed to me a mess; those cut scenes should have stayed on the cutting room floor.
I've never seen Gladiator, but everyone I talk to says it is fantastic. It is on TV from time to time. Obviously, you would recommend checking it out?

Saving Private Ryan falls into this category, too (havent seen but heard great things).

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I've never seen Gladiator, but everyone I talk to says it is fantastic. It is on TV from time to time. Obviously, you would recommend checking it out?

Saving Private Ryan falls into this category, too (havent seen but heard great things).
Don't miss it. Watch the extended version. Same with Saving Private Ryan. The opening scenes of each (battle scenes) are spectacular, breathtaking.

—Paul Auster
Old 10-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

If they come on TV, I will try to catch them. i dont particularly care for graphic violence, so watching them in an unedited format may be a bit too much for me. I would assume the TV versions would cut out most of the graphic stuff without sacrificing too much story.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
SeattleUte

Quote:
If they come on TV, I will try to catch them. i dont particularly care for graphic violence, so watching them in an unedited format may be a bit too much for me. I would assume the TV versions would cut out most of the graphic stuff without sacrificing too much story.
"God is war."--The judge

—Paul Auster
Old 10-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I tivo'd it off TNT last week sometime. It'll come around again.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lately it seems that the cable channels have taken to cutting out boobs and swears but leaving in basically all of the violence. SPR has been aired uncut on the networks a few times. I also would recommend both, SPR more so, although both have their flaws, imo.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
"God is war."--The judge
I will save you the time.

I just dont like watching people get their face blown off.

God created cauliflower, too. I dont like that, either, and abstain whenever possible.

God created you. I like you. I also like Seattle. I do not like the Utes.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Lately it seems that the cable channels have taken to cutting out boobs and swears but leaving in basically all of the violence. SPR has been aired uncut on the networks a few times. I also would recommend both, SPR more so, although both have their flaws, imo.
SPR, like Schindler's, cannot be edited. Spielberg will not allow it. He will allow blurs and such to block out nudity (in Schindlers) but he will not allow SPR to edit the violence. I think that is why I have never seen it on TV, now that I remember. It is basically the unedited version.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am not a fan of gratuitous violence, but I think a battle as significant and important as the taking of Omaha Beach should be shown in its full, awful reality. That movie should not be edited.