cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road
Default September Dawn - The PR Campaign

I was referred to this recent Jon Voight interview about September Dawn on The View:

http://www.abc4.com/mediacenter/loca...?videoid=72570

Note his thinly veiled analogy comparing MMM to the Taliban, religious fanaticism, etc. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at his references to the movie's "authenticity".

With the release scheduled for August 24, will this be a "must see" event for the CG cognoscenti? I am certainly not a MMM expert; however, I am curious as to what actually occurred and the historical context. Educate me, oh wise CG...

Last edited by Requiem; 08-09-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I was referred to this recent Jon Voight interview about September Dawn on The View:

http://www.abc4.com/mediacenter/loca...?videoid=72570

Note his thinly veiled analogy comparing MMM to the Taliban, religious fanaticism, etc. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at his references to the movie's "authenticity".

With the release scheduled for August 24, will this be a "must see" event for the CG cognoscenti? I am certainly not a MMM expert; however, I am curious as to what acually occurred and the historical context. Educate me, oh wise CG...
It's so thinly veiled that the crap it is makes not worth seeing, and that's saying a lot, as I will watch a lot of crap.

Juanita Brooks and McMurtry will have written the most accurate works thereon.

Voigt shows complete bias, so his show doesn't deserve to be seen.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:02 AM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I will be ignoring it as best as I can. Hopefully, other church members will do the same. If we're fortunate, everybody else will, too.

The best thing that could happen for this film is for people to freak out in protest. The first time I heard about either the Da Vinci code or Harry Potter was reading an article about people protesting them. Protesting any form of entertainment seems tantamount to advertising for them.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:29 AM   #4
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

I must have missed something, because I found nothing offensive about the interview. Is there even an argument about the MMM being an act of religious fanaticism? If murdering 100+ unarmed people isn't fanatic, what is?
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with Bluehair. Jon Voight pretty much just stated the facts of the MMM. His comparisons to the Taliban were apt, and he never implied that BY was responsible for the murders. If anything, Mormons should be glad that the movie is as unambitious as it is.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

This flick is apparently pure crap. Meaning, it's just not any good. That and they try to make all the Mormons in the film seem to be very evil. I'll be missing it for sure.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:25 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I watched the trailer a few months ago and burst out laughing...it was at that moment I treated it as pure comedy because of it's B-movie like production values.

I could care less about this flick, unless I want unintentional comedy.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:45 PM   #8
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
This flick is apparently pure crap. Meaning, it's just not any good. That and they try to make all the Mormons in the film seem to be very evil. I'll be missing it for sure.
How can you make a movie about the MMM and not make the Mormons in it look evil? The movie is going to center on the Mormons involved, and the Mormons involved were pretty much evil. Your comment is like saying you didn't like Helter Skelter because it portrayed all of Charlie Manson's followers as crazy and evil.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
Old 08-13-2007, 01:08 AM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike's favorite reporter, Bob Novak The Prince of Darkness, seemed to take the factual assertions in the movie at face value. This article also quotes Voigt as saying he is certain that Brigham Young ordered the massacre.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=20538
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:30 AM   #10
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Mike's favorite reporter, Bob Novak The Prince of Darkness, seemed to take the factual assertions in the movie at face value. This article also quotes Voigt as saying he is certain that Brigham Young ordered the massacre.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=20538
Other than the assertion that BY ordered the hit, what assertions do you disagree with?

Can you really blame Jon Voight for reaching the conclusion that BY ordered the MMM? Granted, it has never been proved, but neither has it been proved that O.J. slit his wife's throat. Most objective people who examine the facts would conclude the BY was involved.