cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #31
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

This is not mentioning that TBS clearly recruits within the definition of the rules by the NCAA, the NCAA just doesn't want to pursue this type of thing at this time.

I have heard this is a question that TBS likes to use "how do you feel about the possibility for playing for the school that represents your church." That my friends right there is clearly recruiting. You have someone who is clearly a booster of the team, asking a question that portrays a positive of BYU to the recruit.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #32
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm just glad Coach Whittingham doesn't recruit thugs like this.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #33
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post

I have heard this is a question that TBS likes to use "how do you feel about the possibility for playing for the school that represents your church." That my friends right there is clearly recruiting. You have someone who is clearly a booster of the team, asking a question that portrays a positive of BYU to the recruit.
Lame. Funk, I'm starting to think you're a rivalry loser.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #34
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
This is not mentioning that TBS clearly recruits within the definition of the rules by the NCAA, the NCAA just doesn't want to pursue this type of thing at this time.

Do you mean booster in a financial sense or that they just are fans of BYU writing stories on a BYU website?

Also it's hardly portraying BYU in a "positive light" that it's a church owned school...I know I'm going out on a huge limb here,,,but my guess is these kids already know it's a church owned school and I don't think there's nothing dishonest about asking a legitimate question like that. lol...like it's a bad thing to ask a kid how he feels about going to a school that is basically only one of it's kind in the entire country that is a Church sponsored school. The OUTRAGE!

You and I will never agree here, so I'm sure we'll just volley back and forth. You're usually not a Yewt "fan", but today you have been.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #35
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Lame. Funk, I'm starting to think you're a rivalry loser.
No Jay I have actually read the NCAA rules and done research on these recruiting websites. I wrote my paper for my sports law class on recruiting websites, and I think pretty much everyone of them out there is involved in recruiting in some manner.

The rules regarding recruiting are very broad and catch a wide range of activities. If you are a booster for the school, which some schools define as anyone who consistently buys a ticket to the schools sporting events, you cannot have any contact with a recruit.

If you want some consistency I would consider it a recruiting violation if the Ute site said something to a QB like "how do you feel about playing for Andy Ludwig, considering he mentored David Carr to the NFL?"
Old 04-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #36
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Do you mean booster in a financial sense or that they just are fans of BYU writing stories on a BYU website?

Also it's hardly portraying BYU in a "positive light" that it's a church owned school...I know I'm going out on a huge limb here,,,but my guess is these kids already know it's a church owned school and I don't think there's nothing dishonest about asking a legitimate question like that.

You and I will never agree here, so I'm sure we'll just volley back and forth. You're usually not a Yewt "fan", but today you have been.
Of course the kids know it, but the NCAA forbids boosters from selling these aspects to recruits. As for you fan and booster question, if you look at the rules pretty much anyone who is a fan of a team is a booster. Talo and Gurney are boosters by the NCAA definition.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #37
RockyBalboa

Quote:
No Jay I have actually read the NCAA rules and done research on these recruiting websites. I wrote my paper for my sports law class on recruiting websites, and I think pretty much everyone of them out there is involved in recruiting in some manner.

The rules regarding recruiting are very broad and catch a wide range of activities. If you are a booster for the school, which some schools define as anyone who consistently buys a ticket to the schools sporting events, you cannot have any contact with a recruit.

If you want some consistency I would consider it a recruiting violation if the Ute site said something to a QB like "how do you feel about playing for Andy Ludwig, considering he mentored David Carr to the NFL?"
Your paper must've been fraught with biased inconsistencies then. Also if you think a simple question like..."How do you feel about playing for Andy Ludwig,,considering he mentored David Carr to the NFL" a recruiting violation then you're quite frankly up in the night.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 04-10-2007 at 05:46 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #38
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Of course the kids know it, but the NCAA forbids boosters from selling these aspects to recruits. As for you fan and booster question, if you look at the rules pretty much anyone who is a fan of a team is a booster. Talo and Gurney are boosters by the NCAA definition.
Show me the definition. Is asking them that question selling them the school? Depends on your perspective there I guess.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #39
mpfunk

Quote:
Show me the definition. Is asking them that question selling them the school? Depends on your perspective there I guess.
"The NCAA defines an athletics representative as "an individual, independent agency, corporate entity or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution's executive or athletics administration to:
1. Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution's intercollegiate athletics program;
2. Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;
3. Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospects;
4. Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or
5. Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's athletics program."

You can make the argument, and a pretty strong one at that, that running a recruiting website in and of itself is promoting hte institution's athletics program. It is also interesting how different schools interpret these provisions. Some schools consider anyone who has attended the University to be a booster. Pretty much any school considers someone who has bought season tickets a booster.

As for my paper, I didn't do as well on it as I would have liked. But if it was full of inaccurate inconsistencies I probably wouldn't have got a B+ in the class that had graded based solely on that paper.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #40
mpfunk

Quote:
Your paper must've been fraught with biased inconsistencies then. Also if you think a simple question like..."How do you feel about playing for Andy Ludwig,,considering he mentored David Carr to the NFL" a recruiting violation then you're quite frankly up in the night.
I'm not up at night, I just have experience in interpreting administrative rules. Comes with having experience in the law. Reasonable minds could disagree with my interpretation of the NCAA's administrative rules, but my interpretation can easily be supported.