cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #21
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Oh and for the record I still remember the first interaction I had with Talo. He was in the cougarboard chat room making wild accusations about the Ute recruiting tactics while Meyer was at Utah. He made several allegations about recruiting violations the Utes committed in recruiting Paul Kruger to Utah.

I thought it was bullshit then and well every article I have read by him doesn't change my opinion, it only strengthens my opinion that the claims he was making were a load of crap.

Honestly after reading that article about Hooks and So'oto how can anyone take a single word that Talo says seriously? It was easily one of the most slanted and ridiculous articles I have read. Who is to say he doesn't take the same liberal approach to everything he writes about BYU and Utah.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #22
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
For being into sabermetrics, you should be ashamed of your sample size of one.
I realize the importance of sample size, and well this isn't the only article that I have read that is so ridiculously slanted it is just the worst one. My first interaction with Zionslion on cougarboard was him making some pretty strong allegations against Utah, so yes I don't believe a word he says.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I realize the importance of sample size, and well this isn't the only article that I have read that is so ridiculously slanted it is just the worst one. My first interaction with Zionslion on cougarboard was him making some pretty strong allegations against Utah, so yes I don't believe a word he says.
So what was your basis for thinking what he said about Utah's recruiting was false?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #24
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
But it seems that the TBS info is wrong. Talo said there was only one door kicked in, but there were two and they knocked on the window of a third apartment. Unless you're saying the Orem police are wrong.

I'm guessing Talo got his info from the family, or someone real close to the players and didn't check or totally disregarding conflicting information. Finally, despite actual physical damage being done by the player(s) seems to think that there was a good from this incident because the two players banded together, no one was left behind, just like they learned in their football lessons. Totally rediculous spin.
The TBS info is right alot more than it's wrong. On occasion they'll get burned like they did with the Filiaga thing,,,because they were point blank lied to, right to their faces..there's nothing they can do about that and reasonable people can see that.

When it comes to recruiting info no one comes even close to the information they get and the amount of stories they do on recruits. I know this might not blow smoke up anyone's yewt, but that's the main reason why I enjoy TBS, and the main reason while I will continue to enjoy it.

One other aspect I enjoy has been the chatting opportunities I've had with the likes of several individuals in the program. For example, Ryan Kessman's Dad is in TBS Chat frequently and is a great guy and fun to chat with. Relatives of other players are in there frequently as well, and it's something I enjoy. If that makes me a homer, then I'll gladly wear that badge.

I make zero apologies for liking TBS. It should be noted I disagreed strongly with Talo printing that story, but considering what I've learned about him over the time I've been on TBS, I'd willing be to go to bat for him anytime and my guess is those saying negative things about him here, wouldn't have the stones to say it to his face...not because they wouldn't want to, but because after a very short time, you realize what a good guy he is and are disarmed by his kind nature and that he genuinely doesn't have any nefarious alternative motives. Anyone who thinks otherwise about the guy, quite frankly don't know what they're talking about.

Jesus could write for TBS and yewt "fans" would find him dishonest.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 04-10-2007 at 04:56 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #25
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For being into sabermetrics, you should be ashamed of your sample size of one.
The last time I had something to say about TBS was the Filiaga affair. So that's 2/2. I don't have a lot to say about TBS, so there's not going to be a large sample size.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #26
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The last time I had something to say about TBS was the Filiaga affair. So that's 2/2. I don't have a lot to say about TBS, so there's not going to be a large sample size.
Well, they were lied to face to face by the Filiagas...
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #27
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Not that I don't believe you, but what evidence is there of that? And I'm not trolling here, I'm truly interested. I know that many said he was coming back to BYU and "put their reputations on the line" to prove how much they believed it...have they provided proof that they were lied to? Or is it just one of those..."we were told one thing, and he did another" type deals.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #28
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Not that I don't believe you, but what evidence is there of that? And I'm not trolling here, I'm truly interested. I know that many said he was coming back to BYU and "put their reputations on the line" to prove how much they believed it...have they provided proof that they were lied to? Or is it just one of those..."we were told one thing, and he did another" type deals.
Well it entirely depends on your ability to believe Talo and Brandon Gurney.
They literally sat in the Filiaga's abode and face to face...directly to their face the Filiagas said that Isley was going back to BYU....all the while knowing that he was planning on heading to Utah. The Filiagas also told the BYU coaches the exact same thing. They literally told them this the day before it was announced that Isley was heading to Utah. In essence they were flat out lied to.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #29
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5894
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #30
mpfunk

Quote:
So what was your basis for thinking what he said about Utah's recruiting was false?
Risk/reward of what he claims Utah was doing. The risk of what Utah was great, the reward was pretty minimal.