cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I finally read the article. I didn't before, because by the complaints of others, I knew it was going to be bush league.

And of course, it was.

My problem with TBS is that the writing is bad. It's significantly better than Grapevine's, but it's still bad.

I know these guys aren't real journalists or real writers, but if you are going to actually pay money to read these guys, at least let it be decent writing.
This is why I don't pay the money. Like Jay says, the few things I do read keep me from subscribing. I fail to see the upside.

Can someone sell me on TBS? What would I get that I don't get now via HB, CB & CG, and DH at DN?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #12
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I finally read the article. I didn't before, because by the complaints of others, I knew it was going to be bush league.

And of course, it was.

My problem with TBS is that the writing is bad. It's significantly better than Grapevine's, but it's still bad.

I know these guys aren't real journalists or real writers, but if you are going to actually pay money to read these guys, at least let it be decent writing.
I read it for the info, I could care less whether they're pulitzer prize winners.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #13
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I read it for the info, I could care less whether they're pulitzer prize winners.
To be fair, I agree with this. The quality of the writing doesn't bother me. But what I've read in the free articles and the stuff posted on CB by TBS guys and from what I remember of CBII, there is no analysis. I don't trust the analysis. So what good is the info? If we're recruiting a guy in California, why do I care? OK, yeah I get it. He's the most amazing recruit we've ever seen. But so were the last 100 guys. Where's the value in getting the extra recruiting info if it's all like that?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

You find out about recruits before you do anywhere else, you get more info on recruits than anywhere else, you hear about their verbal committment to BYU there usually before anywhere else. Some view that as having value.

That is their mission. Things like grammatical content, "objectivity", and so on and so forth isn't their primary concern, nor should it be.

Most intelligent people understand what TBS is about and appreciate that they're at least transparent enough to understand what angle they're coming from when they write their articles.

That said, they are not nearly as pro-BYU and given to wild hyperbole about their recruits as Jay seems hell-bent on claiming. In fact, I would say that Jay's anti-TBS bias is far worse than TBS's pro-BYU bias.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally prefer commentators who can occasionly express dismay over the state of things.

You know, a bare modicum of intellectual honesty.

HBArnett in many ways is also a joke, but at least he is occasionally honest.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You find out about recruits before you do anywhere else, you get more info on recruits than anywhere else, you hear about their verbal committment to BYU there usually before anywhere else. Some view that as having value.

That is their mission. Things like grammatical content, "objectivity", and so on and so forth isn't their primary concern, nor should it be.

Most intelligent people understand what TBS is about and appreciate that they're at least transparent enough to understand what angle they're coming from when they write their articles.

That said, they are not nearly as pro-BYU and given to wild hyperbole about their recruits as Jay seems hell-bent on claiming. In fact, I would say that Jay's anti-TBS bias is far worse than TBS's pro-BYU bias.
Example, I see a video of Kessman, and I say he looks a little chubby, not very tall for a WR, and not that fast. I didn't say he sucks, I just made an obseravation and was looking for some discussion on it. You hammer me and act like I'm the only one in your sphere of influence who had a single non-super-dee-duper awesome thing to say about Kessman. That kind of information flow doesn't do anyone any good. Does it?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #17
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Example, I see a video of Kessman, and I say he looks a little chubby, not very tall for a WR, and not that fast. I didn't say he sucks, I just made an obseravation and was looking for some discussion on it. You hammer me and act like I'm the only one in your sphere of influence who had a single non-super-dee-duper awesome thing to say about Kessman. That kind of information flow doesn't do anyone any good. Does it?
Link?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #18
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

Well reading Talo's latest article is great evidence that Jay is actually right.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #19
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default TBS info wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
But it seems that the TBS info is wrong. Talo said there was only one door kicked in, but there were two and they knocked on the window of a third apartment. Unless you're saying the Orem police are wrong.

I'm guessing Talo got his info from the family, or someone real close to the players and didn't check or totally disregarding conflicting information. Finally, despite actual physical damage being done by the player(s) seems to think that there was a good from this incident because the two players banded together, no one was left behind, just like they learned in their football lessons. Totally rediculous spin.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #20
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Well reading Talo's latest article is great evidence that Jay is actually right.
For being into sabermetrics, you should be ashamed of your sample size of one.