cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Chow would have been a catastrophic failure as a HC at BYU. Why that isn't self-evident to you is puzzling.

Yes, BYU completely lucked out with Bronco.

I think he would have been a smashing sucess. The rumor the U might go after him if KW goes down scares me to death. He could attract great assistants. His recruiting would be incredible. He'd be damn motivated wanting to prove himself being labeled a lifetime assistant.

You wanted KW over Bronco. So if you're being sarcastic with me about BYU lucking out with Bronco, don't even try.

If you're BYU and you bungle the KW offer and back yourself into a corner where you're choosing from current assistants from a lousy coaching regime that nobody in D1 would want, then yes you are lucky if that coach succeeds.

That doesn't take anything away from Bronco now. I'm all for him.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #12
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I think he would have been a smashing sucess. The rumor the U might go after him if KW goes down scares me to death. He could attract great assistants. His recruiting would be incredible. He'd be damn motivated wanting to prove himself being labeled a lifetime assistant.

You wanted KW over Bronco. So if you're being sarcastic with me about BYU lucking out with Bronco, don't even try.

If you're BYU and you bungle the KW offer and back yourself into a corner where you're choosing from current assistants from a lousy coaching regime that nobody in D1 would want, then yes you are lucky if that coach succeeds.

That doesn't take anything away from Bronco now. I'm all for him.
At his age, experience and accomplishments why isn't Chow a Head Coach now or ever been a Head Coach? Surely he could name his price.......
Old 11-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I wanted KW over Bronco????? Link????? Nothing could be FURTHER from the truth.

I'm not sarcastic about BYU lucking out with Bronco. BYU had 3 legit choices: Whitt, Bronco and Reynolds; and none of them exactly inspired awe and wonder at the time. BYU was EXTREMELY fortunate that Bronco has worked out so well thus far, because their prospects list was so ridiculously small.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:23 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
At his age, experience and accomplishments why isn't Chow a Head Coach now or ever been a Head Coach?
Because word gets around.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #15
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes Bronco just had a great year with a senior-laden team. So did Urban Meyer. So did Gary Crowton.

Let's see how he performs when the talent pool is not as favorably stacked in his favor, such as last season for example.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:30 PM   #16
Indy Coug

The thing Bronco has going for him in 2007 is that he has a fair number of returning starters (including 4 of the OL) and the talent pool isn't bone dry at certain positions going forward.

Bronco is a much stronger HC from an organizational standpoint and the crop of 2007 recruits appear to meet virtually all of our positional needs.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:34 PM   #17
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The thing Bronco has going for him in 2007 is that he has a fair number of returning starters (including 4 of the OL) and the talent pool isn't bone dry at certain positions going forward.

Bronco is a much stronger HC from an organizational standpoint and the crop of 2007 recruits appear to meet virtually all of our positional needs.
Tell me more about the recruits meeting our positional needs. Who do you think will impact right away?

To me, it looks like a good crop, but I don't see any immediate need-filler types.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:46 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Quote:
Tell me more about the recruits meeting our positional needs. Who do you think will impact right away?

To me, it looks like a good crop, but I don't see any immediate need-filler types.
There are different types of needs. There are immediate needs when the current group of backups are unlikely or unable to fill in for the departing starter and there are the future needs that can be filled by young talent that can be developed over time.

I'm not sure there are any screaming immediate needs for BYU next year.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, CB is still a concern and I'm worried about lack of depth on the Dline. We know we will experience ups and downs with the QB so we should experience approximately a two to three game drop off in wins. A seven to eight game win total will be successful based on experience of QB.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:18 PM   #20
Indy Coug

We only lose one CB (Robinson) and one DL (Paongo). I'm not sure we could bring in any QB that would be more ready or able to play next year than Hall (though we just offered Cade Cooper from Snow).

Yes, we should expect a dropoff next year. Hopefully it isn't too big. Having nearly the entire OL back (including backups) along with Vakapuna and Tonga at RB will take some of the pressure off of the new QB.