cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 12:13 AM   #11
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I'm with you Jay. Bronco would do well to consider the things she had to say in that post. You're talking about a woman who has a lot of respect for lds culture and still has some reservations about the way some things are done. She's the type of mom you will have to (and want to) pitch to to get good non-lds to come to BYU.
She may respect it, but that does not mean she understands it?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:21 AM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post

What are you getting at?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:23 AM   #13
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm not saying she's right or wrong. I'm saying she's the kind of non lds parent to whom we'll be needing to sell our program in the future. Communication is a two way street. She may be wholly incorrect about this policy, but if this is her perception then it may be an indication that the program needs to be better explained to those outside of the faith.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:23 AM   #14
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
What are you getting at?
I don't think there is much merit to what she has to say in that post.

I also think it is disingenuous of her especially considering her close connection to the team. What Bronco Mendenhall has done is a little more complex and far reaching than she or any of us are aware. He is tapping into aspects of our heritage and culture in an innovative yet very familiar way.

I can easily see where many would find her observations an attack on tried and tested principles of a highly effective and organized religion. It certainly does not mean she should be assailed for her views … at least no more than she should be applauded!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:26 AM   #15
tooblue

Quote:
but if this is her perception then it may be an indication that the program needs to be better explained to those outside of the faith.
This is where I contend with your thoughts ... I don't believe that what she posted accuratly conveys her perception.

Furthermore, I don't think her comments are a significant barometer of the average non LDS parent. Each non LDS player and parent are going to be vastly different from the other. Bronco will have to appeal to each one on an individual basis.

Last edited by tooblue; 11-15-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:32 AM   #16
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is where I contend with your thoughts ... I don't believe that what she posted accuratly conveys her perception.

Furthermore, I don't think her comments are a significant barometer of the average non LDS parent. Each non LDS player and parent are going to be vastly different from the other. Bronco will have to appeal to each on an individual basis.
Not being psychic, I have to go by what she says she believes. I have no way of knowing whether her comments are a significant barometer of the average non LDS parent. I do know that she is a non-lds parent and as a coach I'd want to learn all I could from her and others about how to recruit and retain good kids outside of our faith.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:54 AM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Bronco is smrater than Jay is giving him credit for. He knows what he needs to win at BYU. He knows the depth of the morass the program had fallen into and he knows he better not let it get back there again if he wants to keep his calling, er, job. Just as he switched to the 3-4 becasue he needed to do so to be successful, he will back off if need be in this area too. The only way to know if I am right or if Jay is right is to let time go by. Otherwsie, it is all specualtion. In the meantime, enjoy this year for all it's worth.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:31 AM   #18
tooblue

Quote:
Not being psychic, I have to go by what she says she believes. I have no way of knowing whether her comments are a significant barometer of the average non LDS parent. I do know that she is a non-lds parent and as a coach I'd want to learn all I could from her and others about how to recruit and retain good kids outside of our faith.
I don't think you need to be psychic to read what she has to say and discern that she is being disengenuous.

She is one non LDS parent of a high profile starter. That does not give her words more weight or importance.

Now if a significant number of non LDS parents of athletes on the team or those being recruited by the school make similar statements then Bronco would be wise to listen.

Last edited by tooblue; 11-15-2006 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:46 AM   #19
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I think Bronco is smrater than Jay is giving him credit for. He knows what he needs to win at BYU. He knows the depth of the morass the program had fallen into and he knows he better not let it get back there again if he wants to keep his calling, er, job. Just as he switched to the 3-4 becasue he needed to do so to be successful, he will back off if need be in this area too. The only way to know if I am right or if Jay is right is to let time go by. Otherwsie, it is all specualtion. In the meantime, enjoy this year for all it's worth.

Wait what could cause me to be right or wrong?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:51 AM   #20
jay santos

Quote:
I don't think you need to be psychic to read what she has to say and discern that she is being disengenuous.

She is one non LDS parent of a high profile starter. That does not give her words more weight or importance.

Now if a significant number of non LDS parents of athletes on the team or those being recruited by the school make similar statements then Bronco would be wise to listen.

How could it not rub non-LDS the way Bronco is so open and aggressive about the faith? He needs to tone it down, and I think he will. I don't know if Goat is right that Bronco did all this intentionally and he doesn't mean any of it, he's just playing the right wing fan base. I think he probably meant it at the time. But he's in a new development phase. It's time to open the doors back to the non-LDS and focus on football not this hardass gospel thing.