cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2008, 03:06 AM   #31
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What do we have for next year to make it better? Anybody coming in to shore up our deficiencies? Will So'oto get a redshirt?
So'oto got his redshirt so he will be back.

THe secondary we do get Robbie Buckner back, very promising before his misson, but I doubt he plays much as a true freshman.

Shiloah is not planning on a mission as of now, I think if Rich and Te'o started at safety we would be very good.

Corners will most likely be Bradley and Johnson which hopefully with another year will be serviceable.

We dont have a lot of help coming in we can really only hope for improvement from teh players we have and be grateful that Fowler and Tafuna are graduating.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:07 AM   #32
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
So'oto got his redshirt so he will be back.

THe secondary we do get Robbie Buckner back, very promising before his misson, but I doubt he plays much as a true freshman.

Shiloah is not planning on a mission as of now, I think if Rich and Te'o started at safety we would be very good.

Corners will most likely be Bradley and Johnson which hopefully with another year will be serviceable.

We dont have a lot of help coming in we can really only hope for improvement from teh players we have and be grateful that Fowler and Tafuna are graduating.
Do we have a bead on any JC players to improve or to shore up our depth?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:12 AM   #33
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Do we have a bead on any JC players to improve or to shore up our depth?
Not that I have heard about. We actually had a huge loss in recruiting last year, when an LDS, African American, JC safety spurned us for Minnesota. Simoni Lawrence would have been huge for BYU. He was coming in as a true sophomore runs a legit 4.45 and he had actually committed to Penn State out of highschool. But he decided he wanted to go to Minnesota. It was a close battle and he had a hard time deciding.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:23 AM   #34
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Not that I have heard about. We actually had a huge loss in recruiting last year, when an LDS, African American, JC safety spurned us for Minnesota. Simoni Lawrence would have been huge for BYU. He was coming in as a true sophomore runs a legit 4.45 and he had actually committed to Penn State out of highschool. But he decided he wanted to go to Minnesota. It was a close battle and he had a hard time deciding.
He was a loss. He plays SS for the Gophers and is good.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:37 AM   #35
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

The church needs to focus on baptizing AA's. Then they need to instruct the Patriarchs to throw in something about attending BYU in their blessings. It's our only hope.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:13 AM   #36
marne

marne is on a distinguished road

CougJunkie, Why do you not think Robbie Buckner could play next year? He returns in Feb. 09, he was ahead of Howard in the rotation before he left on his mission, and he has had a very physically demanding mission. I am just curious why you don't think he will even have a shot at PT?
marne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:12 AM   #37
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marne View Post
CougJunkie, Why do you not think Robbie Buckner could play next year? He returns in Feb. 09, he was ahead of Howard in the rotation before he left on his mission, and he has had a very physically demanding mission. I am just curious why you don't think he will even have a shot at PT?
I think Buckner is the real deal. The problem is Jaime Hill is very loyal to his guys. It is going to take an outstanding spring and fall for him to unseat Howard, Bradley or Johnson. Since we rarely rotate DBs he is going to have to know the scheme and get up to speed in a hurry. I expect he will play about as much as G Pittman did before his academic suspension which wasnt much.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:01 AM   #38
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I think Buckner is the real deal. The problem is Jaime Hill is very loyal to his guys. It is going to take an outstanding spring and fall for him to unseat Howard, Bradley or Johnson. Since we rarely rotate DBs he is going to have to know the scheme and get up to speed in a hurry. I expect he will play about as much as G Pittman did before his academic suspension which wasnt much.
I would like to see Ashworth moved to DB and Howard moved to WR.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #39
marne

marne is on a distinguished road

Cougjunkie, I can conceed your point and agree that Rob will have to do all the things you mentioned to be in the running for playtime.
marne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #40
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I would like to see Ashworth moved to DB and Howard moved to WR.
Howard will be improved next year and likely one of BYU's top 3 cornerbacks. I think he needs to stay at cornerback. I wouldn't mind seeing Ashworth moved to safety and I think moving Covey to cornerback might be a good idea as well.