cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default So with BYU now at #17....

I guess there technically still is a shot, assuming we win out.

Curse you, Jay Santos!

And just for Santos, note that SC is now the top-rated 1-loss team in the country. The coaches know talent when they see it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I guess there technically still is a shot, assuming we win out.

Curse you, Jay Santos!

And just for Santos, note that SC is now the top-rated 1-loss team in the country. The coaches know talent when they see it.
Phew- I really thought #20 was likely (or worse). The ACC is really helping BYU in their unlikely BCS run. Wake, UNC and VaTech all lost, making it very possible that no ACC team is ranked in the top 16 of the BCS standings at the end of the season. If that is the case, BYU could sneak in if they are ranked between 12-16 and no other non-BCS team is ahead of them. We need Ball State, BSU, Tulsa and TCU to lose. We can beat Utah, so they aren't a factor.

EDIT: I just looked at the rankings, and BYU is still above Tulsa and Ball State. We really only need Utah (or someone else) to beat TCU, and BSU to lose. And we need to win out. That isn't as improbable as I would have thought. That said, this team needs to refocus quickly or they will lose again.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 10-19-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see BSU losing. Then we can all sit and try to convince ourselves that college football fans think the MWC is better than the WAC, who cares about 3 straight BCS games?
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Phew- I really thought #20 was likely (or worse). The ACC is really helping BYU in their unlikely BCS run. Wake, UNC and VaTech all lost, making it very possible that no ACC team is ranked in the top 16 of the BCS standings at the end of the season. If that is the case, BYU could sneak in if they are ranked between 12-16 and no other non-BCS team is ahead of them. We need Ball State, BSU, Tulsa and TCU to lose. We can beat Utah, so they aren't a factor.

EDIT: I just looked at the rankings, and BYU is still above Tulsa and Ball State. We really only need Utah (or someone else) to beat TCU, and BSU to lose. And we need to win out. That isn't as improbable as I would have thought. That said, this team needs to refocus quickly or they will lose again.
Hope springs etermal.

Tulsa would annihilate BYU. So I guess life aint fair. Did you see what Tulsa did to New Mexico, their common opponent?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Hope springs etermal.

Tulsa would annihilate BYU. So I guess life aint fair. Did you see what Tulsa did to New Mexico, their common opponent?
Have you seen Tulsa play this year or are you just talking out of your ass?
Old 10-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Have you seen Tulsa play this year or are you just talking out of your ass?
I am going to say the later.

Also did anyone see Tulsa up 70-35 with under 5 minutes to play go for it on 4th and 6 inside Uteps 10 yard line.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I am going to say the later.

Also did anyone see Tulsa up 70-35 with under 5 minutes to play go for it on 4th and 6 inside Uteps 10 yard line.
Hey, that no one has more class BYU is older than old news. Talk about something else already. The moral high ground was ceded to you by all other NCAA teams back in the 80s or something.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
I don't see BSU losing. Then we can all sit and try to convince ourselves that college football fans think the MWC is better than the WAC, who cares about 3 straight BCS games?
Anyone want to bet that on Nov. 8th SU will be posting that Utah is better than BSU because BSU only beat the Aggies by 45 at home and not 48 on the road like his Utes did. Utah would obviously destroy BSU based this data.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
I could easily see them losing at San Jose this week, or Fresno State at the end of the season.

By the way, I can't believe we stayed as high as we did.

Last edited by ERCougar; 10-19-2008 at 06:41 PM.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a few provisions in the BCS rules that assist more than one mid-major in receiving a BCS invite:

-No more than 2 teams from any conference may participate
-All teams ranked in the top 14 are eligible for at-large selections, regardless of conference

This year, it is not unfathomable that the final BCS rankings will include 6 Big 12 teams and 4 SEC teams in the top 14, but only 4 of them may participate. Moreover, although only the highest ranked mid-major within the top 12 becomes an automatic qualifier, a mid-major in the top 14 remains an eligible qualifier.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote