cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #31
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
In fairness, Tholmoe did say that the bigs didnt want to play us...it wasn't that easy to get home and homes with them.

Someone made the point of playing a lot of 2 for 1 deals, but that would not support the economics of our business model. Our home games are crucial if we are to stay profitable.

From a business perspective, it is better to schedule crappy teams and have winning seasons as opposed to schedule tough teams and have losing seasons....because after the one or two marquee OOC game, you need everyone to come to the crappy freaking mid major lower tier, lower quality crapfest that is the MWC. People are more apt to come to a home game vs UNLV if we are 8-1 than if we are 4-5.
Unfortunately this is correct. We have a lot of idiot fans who get fired up about an 11-1 team that would be 8-4 with someone else's schedule. They would rather go 3-0 against Utah State, Northern Iowa and Weber St than go 2-1 against Oklahoma, ASU, and Cal.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #32
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
How can it not be a recruiting tool.

1. Get some pub in Hawaii while we're there.
2. Tell future Hawaii recruits, read Manti Te'o, that they'll get to play in Hawaii.
3. Tell other recruits they get to go to Hawaii. Who doesn't love a trip to Hawaii?
Manti won't play in the return game. It is in 2013 and if and that is a big if Manti comes to BYU he will not redshirt.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #33
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Holmoe needs to come out with the list of schools he tried to get a home and away with.

Trust me, I will not be making a trip for any of those shitty games, and I have to think there are going to be people like BYU71 who are pissed off.
Here is the problem, and I don't mean this negatively...

1. You dont go to any games, anyway (you represent the majority of the complaining BYU fans who really dont travel to any of the games, regardless of location)
2. BYU71, for as much of his piss and vingear routine.....he goes to the games. Of course he does. He has already started backtracking about how he *may* now go to the UNLV game....yawn. he will go. regardless of the schedule. Or, better said....he will keep buying the tickets. He may give them to his son or whomeever, but he will keep buying them.

So the real issue is that those who complain lack the standing to do so (they provide no direct $$ to the program) and those with the standing aren't really going anywhere, anyway. What are old CC legacies going to do? Start giving their money to Utah? Start following another school?

This is a business move. And it isnt half bad, actually.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #34
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Here is the problem, and I don't mean this negatively...

1. You dont go to any games, anyway (you represent the majority of the complaining BYU fans who really dont travel to any of the games, regardless of location)
2. BYU71, for as much of his piss and vingear routine.....he goes to the games. Of course he does. He has already started backtracking about how he *may* now go to the UNLV game....yawn. he will go. regardless of the schedule. Or, better said....he will keep buying the tickets. He may give them to his son or whomeever, but he will keep buying them.

So the real issue is that those who complain lack the standing to do so (they provide no direct $$ to the program) and those with the standing aren't really going anywhere, anyway. What are old CC legacies going to do? Start giving their money to Utah? Start following another school?

This is a business move. And it isnt half bad, actually.
I did go to the USC game vs BYU. Frankly, LES has a boring atmosphere, so my desire to attend games is not as strong as some. But you are talking to someone who has only had a "real" job now for a short time. I am an untapped market. Multiply that by 10,000 or whatever.

While I may not care as much as some, I don't run into a lot of people in my travels through Mormondom who follow it as closely as me. Remember, if there are 200 people online at CB, that's not actually a large percentage of the number of people who are BYU fans.

I didn't watch the Div-IIa game last year (by choice), and was frankly bored out of my skull during the 2nd half of the WYO game, and if I miss the Utah State game, don't really care.

I can just imagine Bronco laying down a brochure with the future schedule to a recruit. "Look at this shiz, hardcore, who covers the the intermountain west mid-majors like us?"

I could tear the moon apart with my bare hands right now.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #35
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike, are you under the assumption that one of those gutless BCS powerhouses would want to play BYU? When the big boys are afraid to schedule the better mid-majors, it's tough to schedule them.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Mike, are you under the assumption that one of those gutless BCS powerhouses would want to play BYU? When the big boys are afraid to schedule the better mid-majors, it's tough to schedule them.
Then I want to see the evidence.

I want to see the TV networks complain about the lack of marquee non-conf games. I want to see multiple ADs complain.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #37
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Then I want to see the evidence.

I want to see the TV networks complain about the lack of marquee non-conf games. I want to see multiple ADs complain.
Evidence of lack of TV coverage?

I'm talking about today's football world.

The BCS has made bigger pussies of traditional powers than they've ever been, when losing to a non-BCS team will take them right out of the race to their fake championship.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #38
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm saying that there are a dearth of interesting matchups at the beginning of this season. Hence the hype for USC and OSU. I'm thinking the executives have taken note of these scheduling trends and not liked them.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #39
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I'm saying that there are a dearth of interesting matchups at the beginning of this season. Hence the hype for USC and OSU. I'm thinking the executives have taken note of these scheduling trends and not liked them.
Possibly so. I've never considered that angle.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #40
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
I did go to the USC game vs BYU. Frankly, LES has a boring atmosphere, so my desire to attend games is not as strong as some. But you are talking to someone who has only had a "real" job now for a short time. I am an untapped market. Multiply that by 10,000 or whatever.

While I may not care as much as some, I don't run into a lot of people in my travels through Mormondom who follow it as closely as me. Remember, if there are 200 people online at CB, that's not actually a large percentage of the number of people who are BYU fans.

I didn't watch the Div-IIa game last year (by choice), and was frankly bored out of my skull during the 2nd half of the WYO game, and if I miss the Utah State game, don't really care.

I can just imagine Bronco laying down a brochure with the future schedule to a recruit. "Look at this shiz, hardcore, who covers the the intermountain west mid-majors like us?"

I could tear the moon apart with my bare hands right now.

First, settle down, put your hands in your pockets or if you need to, run over and rip a phone book in half and then come back and sit down.

You are right....LES is not a fantastic game-day experience.....in fact, it is pretty marginal, but it is all we have. Every time I see Tom Holmoe I bug him about tailgating and pep rallies. He is probably sick of it by now. The tailgate atmosphere sucks at BYU.....but nevertheless, YARDTIME and bucko did one for the wyoming game and we had a great time. They didnt let the lack of participation by others dampen their own enthusiasm. All these improvements have to start somewhere.

It is always better to go and support (when you can), than to not attend.

Speaking of the Wyoming game, that place was a morgue. You could hear individuals clapping in the North or South endzones, and i was sitting in the east stands.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote