cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Why would an undefeated BYU being left out of the championship game create a bigger controversy than an undefeated Auburn being left out? Nobody is going to get up in arms about a non-BCS team getting the shaft.
Exactly.

And remember, the same year Auburn got the snub in favor of Oklahoma - who got routed by USC - when the final polls came out, Utah was still behind OK in the final rankings, despite being undefeated.

BCS teams will always get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to rankings.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #22
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The rest of the country doesn't see it that way. They see utah, byu and tcu as good teams in a bad conference, unlv as a fluke. Even highly ranked, they are not seen as "really good", really good enough to play for the NC.
Beating Mississippi St by 21 is a lot different than beating wyoming by 21. It just is. And voters know it. Playing relatively bad teams week in and week out is not going to fool anyone.

And no, I didn't think utah should have played for the NC in 05. I don't think they were the 2nd best team in the nation. And neither did anyone else.

Wrong...
There were plenty of people who thought that Utah should have played for the national championship in 05. I lived in Indiana and Michigan, ND and Big Ten country, and there were plenty of people that were complaining Utah didn't get a chance at the NC.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #23
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Why would an undefeated BYU being left out of the championship game create a bigger controversy than an undefeated Auburn being left out? Nobody is going to get up in arms about a non-BCS team getting the shaft.
Partially right...It wouldn't be a bigger controversy than Auburn's snub. But it would be talked about.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #24
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Exactly.

And remember, the same year Auburn got the snub in favor of Oklahoma - who got routed by USC - when the final polls came out, Utah was still behind OK in the final rankings, despite being undefeated.

BCS teams will always get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to rankings.
Correctamundo, Fonzarelli.

An objective look at BYU shows a team with a lot of promise, but so far we have beaten a Div AA team and 2 pac 10 teams that will be lucky to finish .500. I am really happy about the wins, but I don't get the amount of kool-aid drinking going on quite yet. Our schedule right now only has 1 ranked team on it.

We have lots of work to do. A good start would be to pound Wyoming.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:37 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Partially right...It wouldn't be a bigger controversy than Auburn's snub. But it would be talked about.
Agreed that it would be talked about.

"BYU got the shaft!"

"yes, but they played in a crappy conference and look at their SOS. Their OOC SOS didnt help them much this year, either."

"Good point"

I am going to enjoy this BYU run and not worry about "what if" scenarios. All BYU can do is win the next game on the schedule. Here's to hoping they hang another 50 on Wyoming.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:51 PM   #26
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Wrong...
There were plenty of people who thought that Utah should have played for the national championship in 05. I lived in Indiana and Michigan, ND and Big Ten country, and there were plenty of people that were complaining Utah didn't get a chance at the NC.
People who know what they are talking about?

Wow, you moved around a lot in 05. (c:
Old 09-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #27
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
People who know what they are talking about?

Wow, you moved around a lot in 05. (c:
Well, the same types that hang around on here. So--people who think they know what they're talking about.

The Big Ten may have the most obnoxiously arrogant fanbase in the country with so much to say about so little. Even from them, I heard a fair amount about Utah that year.

I moved that year from Indiana to Michigan (completed residency and took a new job).
Old 09-14-2008, 11:02 PM   #28
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Are you forgetting that they have to play each other? Or am I misunderstanding you here?
Obviously I don't mean with respect to each other (just as BYU needs to beat both of them giving them both one loss too).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:39 PM   #29
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Well, the same types that hang around on here. So--people who think they know what they're talking about.

The Big Ten may have the most obnoxiously arrogant fanbase in the country with so much to say about so little. Even from them, I heard a fair amount about Utah that year.

I moved that year from Indiana to Michigan (completed residency and took a new job).
Interesting.

I misread and thought you included ND (North Dakota) in your list of states, so 3 states in a year seemed like a lot.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:58 PM   #30
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
We MWC folks aren't taking it too far.
yes you are. I said, if you guys are undefeated and there's no undefeated or one-loss SEC team, you're in the title game. The jokers around here are saying everybody else would have to have four losses. That's absurd. I'm not denying the bias. I'm saying you're overstating it.

A lot has changed since Utah got shafted. Boise State made a statement for the little guys. People want to see the underdog get a chance.

But if you guys want to be taken seriously, you'd better start acting like you deserve to be taken seriously. You're not Sam Houston State - you're BYU. You've got a Heisman trophy winner and a friggin national title. Act like it.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote