cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #31
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You have not demonstrated any knowledge of current rules, i.e., when Lebowski schooled you on the challenge issue, and you did not know what the rule or the reason for throwing the flag. The fact that you listened to local radio shows who had to devise another excuse for the pathetic display by the Huskies does not evince football knowledge.

What formation was the defensive alignment? What scheme overloaded which portion of the offensive line in order to create an unblocked rusher? Why do you believe BYU could not use that in a shorter kick? Did you read the UW kicker who opined it made NO difference? Do you really believe Willingham's tendency would have been to go for two? If you saw the line penetration and running Locker would have been stopped for a loss.

ER may know elementary physics but I don't buy all his bs. BTW, Archaea likes Seattle but finds his football knowledge to be pathetic, especially in comparison to his basketball IQ.
I've never claimed that my football knowledge holds a candle to my complete and total mastery of elementary mechanics, and I'm not really sure how I got dragged into this little tiff, but would you mind telling me what part of my "bs" you have difficulty buying?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #32
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I've never claimed that my football knowledge holds a candle to my complete and total mastery of elementary mechanics, and I'm not really sure how I got dragged into this little tiff, but would you mind telling me what part of my "bs" you have difficulty buying?
You folks would do well to show more respect to ER. The guy's a genius and could probably kick your ass in any topic.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #33
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You folks would do well to show more respect to ER. The guy's a genius and could probably kick your ass in any topic.
C'mon Lebowski, can't you sense my sarcasm here? I bow to your physics prowess. I just own you when it comes to trajectory of a football. No reason for bitterness...
Old 09-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #34
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
C'mon Lebowski, can't you sense my sarcasm here? I bow to your physics prowess. I just own you when it comes to trajectory of a football. No reason for bitterness...
Sarcasm, shmarcasm. I was serious!
Old 09-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #35
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Cycling and law. come on baby.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #36
Archaea

Quote:
I reread your commentary and Seattle who claimed your supported your theory, but this post is a bit disorganized and unclear.

Quote:
Teams rarely send everyone on either FG's or extra points. Even on this ideal situation for it, Bronco asked one of the assistants (can't remember which) if he thought they'd dare fake it. He was still a little hesitant, even 18 yds out.

I bet if you did a query on end-of-game FG's, you'd find a much higher percentage of blocks than those in the middle of the game. I think it's a legit reason for the block.
The key here was it was the end of a game, the kicker kicks the same trajectory for short or medium kicks and BYU went for it as they did in the Las Vegas Bowl, showing BYU can block it. It was the overwhelming the line that led to the block not the distance or trajectory.

So how did you agree with Seattle's nonsense.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #37
ERCougar

Quote:
I reread your commentary and Seattle who claimed your supported your theory, but this post is a bit disorganized and unclear.

The key here was it was the end of a game, the kicker kicks the same trajectory for short or medium kicks and BYU went for it as they did in the Las Vegas Bowl, showing BYU can block it. It was the overwhelming the line that led to the block not the distance or trajectory.

So how did you agree with Seattle's nonsense.
Because there was no chance at the fake, BYU sent 11 rather than the typical 7 or 8. It's certainly easier to shoot gaps and overwhelm the line with 3 or 4 extra guys.

This is the same reason we see a disproportionate number of blocked field goals at the end of games (UCLA last year, for example). Teams don't have to be concerned about a fake for a first down, so they send the house.

I think this explanation makes much more sense than the trajectory argument, which is, as you say, BS.

By the way, this doesn't excuse the UW failure to block. It's just a contributing factor.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #38
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Because there was no chance at the fake, BYU sent 11 rather than the typical 7 or 8. It's certainly easier to shoot gaps and overwhelm the line with 3 or 4 extra guys.

This is the same reason we see a disproportionate number of blocked field goals at the end of games (UCLA last year, for example). Teams don't have to be concerned about a fake for a first down, so they send the house.

I think this explanation makes much more sense than the trajectory argument, which is, as you say, BS.

By the way, this doesn't excuse the UW failure to block. It's just a contributing factor.
Bingo.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #39
Archaea

Quote:

But look at the player who actually blocked the kick, is he the one a team would have reserved for a fake?
Old 09-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #40
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
But look at the player who actually blocked the kick, is he the one a team would have reserved for a fake?
Are you really taking the position that BYU would have defended a 20 yard kick the same as a 35 yard kick? The point is Washington had 11 not 7 guys to block.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote