cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #41
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
As Bill Clinton said, "I Love you. I love you, I love you, I love you...."
As if. I would never say anything like that about USC. Mike must have edited my post.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #42
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Let me add that we were tied with ASU and they beat Stanford 41-17 so I can see them jumping us as well. Thats 3 spots all justified.
I agree with with the logic of moving ASU, Oregon, and East Carolina ahead of us. But actually, we also jumped over West Virginia because of their loss, which would move us to 17th. But Penn State jumped us as well. That one is the most questionable, but I can see why some might see things that way. I'd say Penn State is better than us, based on the season so far.

Ten years ago, it was almost sacrosanct that if you win, you don't drop in the polls. Winning is the point of the game, so the logic went, and if you won, style points don't really matter.

That seems to have changed, and I think it is for the better. Under the old system, East Carolina would not be moved into the top 25 until enough top 25 teams dropped out. Now, East Carolina is rewarded for winning a couple of big games early on. Although the potential is there to get shafted, and the non-name schools (I'm with Barbara on this, it is non-name more than non-BCS) are more likely to get shafted. I think, on the whole, these changes have been for the better.

If BYU keeps winning, they'll eventually move up.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #43
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post
But Penn State jumped us as well. That one is the most questionable, but I can see why some might see things that way. I'd say Penn State is better than us, based on the season so far.
I agree.

Penn State beat Oregon State 45-14. Although they lost to Stanford in week 1, OSU's 2007 season finished at 9-4, a bowl game victory, and ranked #25 (AP). Probably a better win than the BYU over Washington.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #44
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I have been completely unable to get myself fussed over a three-spot poll drop after a one-point win over Washington, in a poll that has no affect on BCS standings.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #45
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I have been completely unable to get myself fussed over a three-spot poll drop after a one-point win over Washington, in a poll that has no affect on BCS standings.
It's all about pride.

Sincerely,
Ezra Taft
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #46
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Bucks by 3 Saturday. It's going to be a bad day for So Cal college football fans.
Shirly you jest.

My prediction? USC 42, Ohio State 17
Old 09-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #47
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
It's all about pride.

Sincerely,
Ezra Taft
I would be similarly unable to get myself fussed over a win over Michigan to open this year, but hey - to each his own.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #48
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
My prediction? USC 42, Ohio State 17
Only if the OSU team that faced Ohio shows up and the USC team that faced Virginia plays up. However, I doubt that very much. Top teams notoriously play up (and down) to their competition. There is no way that USC rolls the Buckeyes like a cheap cigar in this one. I think USC wins, but certainly not in a blowout.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:28 AM   #49
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Only if the OSU team that faced Ohio shows up and the USC team that faced Virginia plays up. However, I doubt that very much. Top teams notoriously play up (and down) to their competition. There is no way that USC rolls the Buckeyes like a cheap cigar in this one. I think USC wins, but certainly not in a blowout.
I think the Orange Bowl Oklahoma Sooners would totally agree with you. That one was a nailbiter!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 AM   #50
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I think the Orange Bowl Oklahoma Sooners would totally agree with you. That one was a nailbiter!
Not to mention the last 2 Buckeye teams in the BCS Title game.