cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #31
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I think the BCS bias is not irrational, it's based on common sense. You won't see me whining because the polls don't treat Utah with the same deference as USC or Florida or Ohio State. If Florida narrowly escapes upset by a crappy team it's not the same as if Utah or BYU does. Your argument that BYU deserves the same deference as USC is funny as a crutch. You're just defeating your own argument by using USC-Washington as your example. You're parochial, narrow minded, and biased, like most BYU fans.
If you disagree with the USC example, fine, disagree. At least attempt to address Cal and Nebraska from last year as examples too.

You're just angry because you are voting for someone who doesn't believe in evolution. Don't vent your anger here.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #32
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You're just angry because you are voting for someone who doesn't believe in evolution. Don't vent your anger here.
Intellectual dishonesty can be very taxing.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #33
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The UW game is a good example (as is UW v USC last year where USC moved up after a narrow win against UW, who was worse last year than they will be this year).
That's a bit of an extreme example, though, because you're not comparing to an average or prototypical BCS team. You're comparing to the premier team of the decade. USC is given more benefit of the doubt than any team in the nation, BYU included. The Trojans didn't even play this week and they picked up something like a dozen #1 votes.

Seattle's being a dork, but at the same time you're overstating things to suggest, "Oh! They dropped us! They must hate non-BCS schools!" It's not exactly a BCS/nonBCS thing. For example, if Kansas makes it up to the top five and then drops a game, they're going to be punished in the polls a lot more than Oklahoma or Texas would for dropping the same game. Not only are Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas all BCS schools, but they're all in the same conference.

So it's not a BCS-nonBCS thing. It's just a preconception thing about which schools "should" be ranked where.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #34
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Intellectual dishonesty can be very taxing.
That's why I usually opt for plain old run of the mill dishonesty. It simplifies things.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #35
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
USC barely beat UW last year, and they didn't drop at all. BYU dropped because: 1) they are not a BCS team; and 2) ESPN made such a big deal out of the call at the end that people have the feeling BYU should have lost the game.

In reality, BYU was dominating offensively. Does anyone here think that even if the game went into OT that UW could have stopped BYU's offense from the 25? Even on the last drive of the game, UW had 3rd and long several times and one 4th down conversion. They moved the ball, but hardly at will like BYU did (see also BYU's 96 yard drive as another example which would have ended the game but for a very unfortunate fumble).
USC actually fell from 1 to 2 last year when they barely beat Washington.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #36
cougjunkie

You really cant argue the drop, Oregon has to jump BYU just based on common opponents, East Carolina also jumps BYU based on beating 2 top 20 teams in consecutive weeks.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
You really cant argue the drop, Oregon has to jump BYU just based on common opponents, East Carolina also jumps BYU based on beating 2 top 20 teams in consecutive weeks.
Bingo. Oregon destroyed WA, even though it was at home.

BYU squeaked by WA.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #38
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That makes sense. I'm going to "think Bronco" and not sweat this too much. The answer is to go and perform better this week.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:18 AM   #39
cougjunkie

Quote:
Let me add that we were tied with ASU and they beat Stanford 41-17 so I can see them jumping us as well. Thats 3 spots all justified.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:32 AM   #40
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
you're not comparing to an average or prototypical BCS team. You're comparing to the premier team of the decade. USC
As Bill Clinton said, "I Love you. I love you, I love you, I love you...."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote