cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
I do too. There won't be PAC-10 refs for the UCLA game though.
You are correct. I was mistaken. In that case I'd give the Cougars the definite advantage. The Cougars, in addition to being the stronger team and playing at home, will hear all the talk and have want to "prove" that yesterday's win was not a fluke.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The drop was deserved.

You win 35 to 21, then you don't drop. Barely put out a win with a controversial call to help you against a sorry BCS team definitely going to finish in the bottom half of the conference? Voters not impressed.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:11 AM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The drop was deserved.

You win 35 to 21, then you don't drop. Barely put out a win with a controversial call to help you against a sorry BCS team definitely going to finish in the bottom half of the conference? Voters not impressed.
USC barely beat UW last year, and they didn't drop at all. BYU dropped because: 1) they are not a BCS team; and 2) ESPN made such a big deal out of the call at the end that people have the feeling BYU should have lost the game.

In reality, BYU was dominating offensively. Does anyone here think that even if the game went into OT that UW could have stopped BYU's offense from the 25? Even on the last drive of the game, UW had 3rd and long several times and one 4th down conversion. They moved the ball, but hardly at will like BYU did (see also BYU's 96 yard drive as another example which would have ended the game but for a very unfortunate fumble).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:15 AM   #14
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
In reality, BYU was dominating offensively. Does anyone here think that even if the game went into OT that UW could have stopped BYU's offense from the 25? Even on the last drive of the game, UW had 3rd and long several times and one 4th down conversion. They moved the ball, but hardly at will like BYU did (see also BYU's 96 yard drive as another example which would have ended the game but for a very unfortunate fumble).
You asked this question earlier and I will reply with the same:

-BYU had 10 drives and scored on 4 of them.
-Washington had 9 drives and scored on 4 of them.

I disagree with your use of the word "dominating."
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Even if BYU has a very good offense (which they do), they also have a very mediocre defense.

And that's why an undefeated season would be so remarkable, even with this relatively easy schedule.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:27 AM   #16
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

BYU won't go undefeated -- in fact they'll lose at least three or four games --unless their backfield shows an ability to cover anybody in better shape than an obese and senile bingo player.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:36 AM   #17
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
You asked this question earlier and I will reply with the same:

-BYU had 10 drives and scored on 4 of them.
-Washington had 9 drives and scored on 4 of them.

I disagree with your use of the word "dominating."
BYU shot themselves in the foot a handful of times, but they were steamrolling UW on offense in the 4th quarter, and there is no reason to believe anything was going to change.

Total yards:

BYU: 475
UW: 337

Rushing Yards:

BYU: 137 (4.9 ypc average)
UW: 133 (3.8 ypc average)

Passing yards:

BYU: 338 (8.2 ypc average)
UW: 204 (6.4 ypc average)

3rd down conversions:

BYU: 12 of 14 (86%)
UW: 9 of 15 (60%)

Where BYU got hurt was in penalties (7 for 60 yards, versus 4 for 25 for UW) and turnovers (2, including the fumble at the goal line which would have ended the game).

Disagree all you want, but BYU's offense dominated.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:16 AM   #18
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The drop was deserved.

agreed
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:17 AM   #19
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
BYU won't go undefeated -- in fact they'll lose at least three or four games --unless their backfield shows an ability to cover anybody in better shape than an obese and senile bingo player.
if Locker was even sort of accurate we lose that game in a bad way. Good thing for us he is a better running back than a quarterback.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:21 AM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
USC barely beat UW last year, and they didn't drop at all. BYU dropped because: 1) they are not a BCS team; and 2) ESPN made such a big deal out of the call at the end that people have the feeling BYU should have lost the game.

Go take a valium. Your comparison is silly, and obnoxious. USC was rolling over good teams last year one after another all last year and year after year for two yeas before that. If you're the team to beat, it's not unusual in a big, tough conference to have a close game against a team you should dominate, especially an old rival. BYU has't the record to buffer a down game against Washington. Besides, as bad as Washington was last year it's worse this year.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote