cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #31
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I don't think BYU has won an out of conference road game since Bronco has been Head Coach.
Nope. In fairness, BYU's been very, very close to winning it's OOC road games the last two years. The worst loss has to be at Tulsa. There's really not much shame in losing a road game to a BCS school, even if it's an average one.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #32
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Nope. In fairness, BYU's been very, very close to winning it's OOC road games the last two years. The worst loss has to be at Tulsa. There's really not much shame in losing a road game to a BCS school, even if it's an average one.
It's time to end this trend

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:02 AM   #33
BYUTexan

Now that we are less than 2 months from game time, how are we going to contain Jake Locker, with our schemes, while respecting his ability to pass (assuming that he has improved). Our Safeties will be crucial in this.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #34
MLOdawgs

MLOdawgs is on a distinguished road
Default Jake Locker

Jake wasn't that bad... yes he at times got too jacked up and overthrew people, but he also had below average wide receivers dropping passes left and right. Hell sometimes Jake was so excited about playing in the game that he would hold his breath and this would tend to end up with the ball sailing on him. He calmed down as the year progressed. I think you will see a major improvement in his passing game this year. He looked great in the Spring game, very accurate with his throws. He went 7 for 7 on one 80 yard TD drive. I think he finished the game 14 for 17 or something close to that.

The offense was not bad last year, we averaged 29.2 points per game. The major problem was that our defense was the worst in our 118 year history of Washington football. I think the biggest key to the game will be if our new and revamped defense can stop or at least slow down your potent offense. A very large uphill battle for us for sure.

BYU will obviously be the favorite to win this game, but I don't think it will be anywhere close to a cake walk or a blowout. You will for sure have your hands full with Jake Locker:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BMfiq9CXss8

Last edited by MLOdawgs; 07-11-2008 at 07:30 AM.
MLOdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #35
BYUTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLOdawgs View Post
Jake wasn't that bad... yes he at times got too jacked up and overthrew people, but he also had below average wide receivers dropping passes left and right. Hell sometimes Jake was so excited about playing in the game that he would hold his breath and this would tend to end up with the ball sailing on him. He calmed down as the year progressed. I think you will see a major improvement in his passing game this year. He looked great in the Spring game, very accurate with his throws. He went 7 for 7 on one 80 yard TD drive. I think he finished the game 14 for 17 or something close to that.

The offense was not bad last year, we averaged 29.2 points per game. The major problem was that our defense was the worst in our 118 year history of Washington football. I think the biggest key to the game will be if our new and revamped defense can stop or at least slow down your potent offense. A very large uphill battle for us for sure.

BYU will obviously be the favorite to win this game, but I don't think it will be anywhere close to a cake walk or a blowout. You will for sure have your hands full with Jake Locker:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BMfiq9CXss8
To say that I am nervous about this game is an understatement. This will be a very tough game for us to win, why? It's at Husky Stadium and IMO there are many unknowns on the Washington team that make predicting the outcome more difficult. I will be happy with a 1 point victory to be honest with you. I'm coming up for the game and will be happy with just that.

How do you see your team performing with all the new replacements this year? I am intrigued. I know that Chris Polk is supposed to be a stud, but what about the others at the different positions?

Old 07-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #36
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
BYU has been HORRIBLE on the road [OOC], and the Pac-10 with their officiating "intangibles" will not help. Historically, this is a "L" for BYU. Bronco really needs to address BYU's "road woes" this year. If he can get BYU out of the gate with a quick start....the sky is the limit. To reach their goals he can not afford to get out to a slow start.
Agreed. Going by history, the game at Washington is a Loss.

But I'm not so worried about the out-of-conference road game @ Utah State. Nope. Not at all.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #37
MLOdawgs

Default dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
How do you see your team performing with all the new replacements this year? I am intrigued. I know that Chris Polk is supposed to be a stud, but what about the others at the different positions?
There is reason for optimism since we have a new, proven (in the NFL) defensive coordinator but that is on paper only until we play games. It is the same with all the frosh at the skill positions. On paper there is a ton of talent, but it is young and inexperienced. Ty is a horrible game day coach, but he has at least added some burners the last couple years. Goodwin, Shaw, both Polk kids (they are cousins), etc. Shaw and J. Polk are track stars in their states, Curtis Shaw in Cali and Polk in Oregon. Shaw ran a 10.56 in the 100m dash and Polk ran it in 10.63. Jordan Polk looks like a midget in this video clip, but in the off season so far he said he has gained 15 pounds of muscle and improved his 100m time by ..05 seconds because of the all the new muscle. Loved his quote, he said "I have been working out like a dog to get ready for UW football".
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tiUNvgi4L48

Alvin Logan (big, 6-2 218) and Anthony Boyles (6-3 190) should also have big impacts as big targets in the receiving game this year.

Chris Polk on paper and in high school is an absolute stud, we stole him from USC where he was committed for 6 months. His nickname in high school is "little Bush" because his play style reminds people of Reggie. Lappanno said he plans to use C. Polk (and Shaw) just like USC used Reggie Bush.

The starting running back job should be Brandon Johnson's to lose. He has not had much game time but he did play one and a half quarters last year against Cal after Rankin got hurt. He rushed for over 100 yards against Cal in less than two quarters. You can see our RB in action here in the second half of this video clip, he is number 6, number 9 is Rankin (who graduated).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=afy44jLiqMw

The bottom line is, we have a lot of raw talent, but it is inexperienced and full of question marks. Until Ty PROVES he can consistently win games, I am not predicting a better record than 6-6.

I hope I am wrong of course.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #38
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'll bet So'oto can catch him.
Especially if he chucks a water balloon at So'oto.

I know, YOhio. You can call me a zoot if you'd like. I just couldn't leave that one alone.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #39
MLOdawgs

Default My prediction for our Dawgs this year

This is how I predict the season will go for us if I think with logic and do not take into account anything that is unknown (like impact of new coaching staff in key coordinator positions and young talent). I think our worst case scenario is 3-9, and our best case scenario is 6-6. Either way Ty gets fired, so it is a win-win situation.

Aug. 30 at Oregon - L
Sept. 6 BYU - L
Sept. 13 Oklahoma - L
Sept. 20 BYE - Hopefully Ty gets fired this week, if we lose to BYE we are in serious trouble...
Sept. 27 Stanford - W
Oct. 4 at Arizona - W or L - toss up
Oct. 11 BYE
Oct. 18 Oregon State - W or L - toss up
Oct. 25 Notre Dame - W or L - toss up
Nov. 1 at USC - L
Nov. 8 Arizona State - L
Nov. 15 UCLA - W
Nov. 22 at Washington State - W
Dec. 6 at California - L
Old 07-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #40
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLOdawgs View Post
This is how I predict the season will go for us if I think with logic and do not take into account anything that is unknown (like impact of new coaching staff in key coordinator positions and young talent). I think our worst case scenario is 3-9, and our best case scenario is 6-6. Either way Ty gets fired, so it is a win-win situation.

Aug. 30 at Oregon - L
Sept. 6 BYU - L
Sept. 13 Oklahoma - L
Sept. 20 BYE - Hopefully Ty gets fired this week, if we lose to BYE we are in serious trouble...
Sept. 27 Stanford - W
Oct. 4 at Arizona - W or L - toss up
Oct. 11 BYE
Oct. 18 Oregon State - W or L - toss up
Oct. 25 Notre Dame - W or L - toss up
Nov. 1 at USC - L
Nov. 8 Arizona State - L
Nov. 15 UCLA - W
Nov. 22 at Washington State - W
Dec. 6 at California - L
That's a brutal schedule. Have to give you guys credit for scheduling. I wish we had that philosophy.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote