cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
It kills me when people point out that somehow BYU struggling against better teams validates their in depth analysis. No shit BYU struggles against teams with better football players. So far Mister Waters has blessed us with two rock solid conclusions about college football.

1.) Bronco Mendenhall cannot hold Gary Patterson's jock. - Uh that one makes Gary Genius look like COL Red Freaking Blaik as far as grasping the landscape of college football....Oh nellie its a fumble!

2.) BYU struggles, due to uhhhhh system shortcomings, when playing teams with better football players than theirs.

Brilliant my man, purely brilliant!
One word for you: Tulsa.

Bronco was owned in that game. Absolutely owned.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #32
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
During the last two championship games, I can note that Jim Tressel doesn't have what it takes, even though he has won one national championship, because he doesn't make game adjustments, and his team struggles against teams with equal or better athletes.
Are you seriously going to bash on Tressel? If you're going to bash on Tressel, that leaves about two coaches in the entire cosmos that have what it takes.

P.S. Since he won a national title in 2002, how did he come to lose what it takes after at one time possessing it?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #33
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

LOL. We're going to determine coaching quality by their worst games? Who's left standing after that nimrod approach?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #34
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

One word in a season of thirteen words for opponents ain't all bad in my book. Exactly where does Tulsa of 2007 compare to SMU in 2005?

Even in Bronco's lowpoints he still owns the guy whose jock he couldn't carry.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
One word in a season of thirteen words for opponents ain't all bad in my book. Exactly where does Tulsa of 2007 compare to SMU in 2005?

Even in Bronco's lowpoints he still owns the guy whose jock he couldn't carry.
SDSU vs. SMU. That's a tough one to determine which is worse.

Patterson's high points are undeniably higher than Bronco's. Do I need to spell it out, or will you graciously agree?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #36
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
SDSU vs. SMU. That's a tough one to determine which is worse.

Patterson's high points are undeniably higher than Bronco's. Do I need to spell it out, or will you graciously agree?
Patterson has also had many more years as a head coach. Patterson did beat OU. That was a huge win. He also had a better run with 3 double digit win seasons out of 4 or 4 out of 5. That also was impressive. However, his performance the past two years has me convinced that much of his double digit win runs was inflated by playing in the worst 1-A conference.

In the end this is my honest opinion, Mendenhall is a better head coach. I would like to see what Mendenhall does with the momentum he has built over the next couple of years before coming to any conclusions on whose higher points are higher.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #37
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is Mikes exact post I believe, now he runs the board so he could have edited it.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...ight=Patterson
Old 01-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #38
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Are you seriously going to bash on Tressel? If you're going to bash on Tressel, that leaves about two coaches in the entire cosmos that have what it takes.

P.S. Since he won a national title in 2002, how did he come to lose what it takes after at one time possessing it?
Are you that humor impaired? Do I need a nice emoticon?

I was trying to show Mike how absurd his premises were that Bronco struggled when he met teams of equal or superior athletic ability.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #39
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Here is Mikes exact post I believe, now he runs the board so he could have edited it.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...ight=Patterson
Not hold his jock was not an exact quote there, so if Mike never said that mea culpa. However, there is no question that Mister Waters after watching both coaches ply their trade for a certain amount of time came to very a very strong conclusion as to which HC was superior, and since that date it appear that perhaps he was correct. In fact it is not very close, and Waters never picked a winner in the matchup. But most of us know he doesn't say much good about his beloved BYU.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #40
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Are you that humor impaired? Do I need a nice emoticon?

I was trying to show Mike how absurd his premises were that Bronco struggled when he met teams of equal or superior athletic ability.
Arch, your doom-and-gloom summary judgements in the world of sports leaves me to take your comments as serious by default.