cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How does it feel to get to the top of this mountain?

11-2 two years in a row. Undefeated in conference two years in a row.

Ending the season ranked two years in a row.

On the other hand, a coach who speaks to the media frequently and loudly that the schedule will be made easier. A bowl game that is a week before the meaningless bowl games. Good players who know one in the country knows about. The best-case scenario of going undefeated and playing a 2 loss team in a BCS game.

It's really the highest of highs combined with the lowest of lows. We've climbed the highest mountain in Texas, with no where higher to climb.

We have a school president who is not a leader, for neither academics nor athletics. We have an AD who is neutered, and we have a coach who has balls made of soft metals that dent when faced with the prospect of playing 3 BCS teams.

BYU is a pretty good team. But no one knows and no one cares.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

On the other hand, a coach who speaks to the media frequently and loudly that the schedule will be made easier. A bowl game that is a week before the meaningless bowl games. Good players who know one in the country knows about. The best-case scenario of going undefeated and playing a 2 loss team in a BCS game.

It's really the highest of highs combined with the lowest of lows. We've climbed the highest mountain in Texas, with no where higher to climb.

We have a school president who is not a leader, for neither academics nor athletics. We have an AD who is neutered, and we have a coach who has balls made of soft metals that dent when faced with the prospect of playing 3 BCS teams.

Wow, it has just become clear to me. You set up this site as a place for you to have the freedom to "troll". Cool.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Wow, it has just become clear to me. You set up this site as a place for you to have the freedom to "troll". Cool.
I challenge you to give me a season where morale has been this low among fans, given a 10 game winning streak to finish the season.

I'm not saying morale is all that low. I'm say it's low compared to the quality of the team.

The mtn and the BCS system are a big part of it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
BYU71

Quote:
I challenge you to give me a season where morale has been this low among fans, given a 10 game winning streak to finish the season.

I'm not saying morale is all that low. I'm say it's low compared to the quality of the team.

The mtn and the BCS system are a big part of it.
You made some great points. What soured me was the stuff about the President, AD and coach. I don't mind criticizing them, but the generalized nasty statement about them seems over the top and something to fish some anger out of other posters. I just am not going to get angry over it.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Other than some fluke of a national title in 1984, how is this really much different than how it's always been?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm with Mike here. As a BYU fan, I should be riding high. Two top 20 years in a row, undefeated in conf, bowl wins, etc. But I'm not. '96 and '01 felt way more exciting.

TV contract, the direction Bronco wants to take, and the lack of leadership above him combine to make the future feel kind of blah for me.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Mike, FYI, using the metaphor "balls" in any form to describe courage is sexist. Don't use that at work. you may find a red crater where your balls once were.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'm with Mike here. As a BYU fan, I should be riding high. Two top 20 years in a row, undefeated in conf, bowl wins, etc. But I'm not. '96 and '01 felt way more exciting.

TV contract, the direction Bronco wants to take, and the lack of leadership above him combine to make the future feel kind of blah for me.
Except for the calling out of individuals, I am with both of you. So unexcited that I didn't go to the bowl game and if we get a 1AA team on the schedule I will unload next years tickets.

To go on CB you would get the feeling people are thrilled with the scheduling thing. That just isn't so. They probably will still fill the stadium, but another 10-2 season and a Vegas bowl will not have people excited.

Those that are excited are excited about where they think this program is going. They have a lot more faith in the total interlocking of religion and football than I do.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default Waters, I bet you are a premature ejaculator too

Quote:

Take a few steps back and see what Bronco is doing. He has a vision and he's following a blueprint with disipline.

Bottom line is we aren't playing in the NC game until we have first reached a BCS game. Just like we weren't making a BCS game without establishing our program first. Milk before meat.

I know you want to hurry and get to the good part, but this is going to be a process that takes many years. We simply aren't a top 10 team in the country right now, so we need to manage the schedule that will allow us to get to a BCS game. Bronco said in the postgame that the rules right now are that you need to go undefeated to get into a BCS game. Let's get there before we start whining about not playing a tough enough schedule.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
Take a few steps back and see what Bronco is doing. He has a vision and he's following a blueprint with disipline.

Bottom line is we aren't playing in the NC game until we have first reached a BCS game. Just like we weren't making a BCS game without establishing our program first. Milk before meat.

I know you want to hurry and get to the good part, but this is going to be a process that takes many years. We simply aren't a top 10 team in the country right now, so we need to manage the schedule that will allow us to get to a BCS game. Bronco said in the postgame that the rules right now are that you need to go undefeated to get into a BCS game. Let's get there before we start whining about not playing a tough enough schedule.
OK, tell me what is the big deal with getting to a BCS game. How much respect does Utah or BSU have right now as neither can win a conf. championship since.

If it is all about the money, fine just say so. You don't build a lasting reputation by getting somewhere by going the easy route and not following up.

If they are so sure this will get them BCS money, they ought to give the season ticket holders a break and charge less for next years tickets.

If you thought you were paying for a Celin Dion (sp) concert and you got Tiny Tim, I think you would have a right to some kind of discount.